Hanging Deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Avro

Hanging Deer

Post by Avro »

hi, this is my first time on the forum and a first time hunter as well. I've been visiting the forum many times and find it interesting and informative. As a first time hunter its great to have these kind of resources. This weekend will be the first time i will ever have been out. ill be using crossbow on my buddies farm. i have seen the weather forcast and its going to be in the range of 12-14 degrees during the day for friday/saturday (not sure what the nights will be). Would any of you say its safe to hang a deer overnight in these conditions. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to all this season and safe hunting.
Thanks
Avro
diesel

Post by diesel »

Welcome to the forum. you do not want the deer to freeze. If you hang it in side where it will not get so cold should be fine. 25 to 45 degree weather is the best for hanging them.
Where are you that it's so cold ?
Good luck and have fun and safe.
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I think he means degrees celcius Diesel.
Avro

Post by Avro »

ya, sorry - im hunting near london ontario. thats celcius i was talking about. do u think it would be cool enough over night?
wabi

Post by wabi »

If my calculations are correct that would be about 57F. I wouldn't chance it!
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Would have to be well packed in ICE.... :)
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I don't hunt far from London. It's supposed to go down to 3 celcius(about 38 F). Do you think it should be alright overnight. (If it is shot in the evening hunt.) I think that is what Avro is asking. I would like to know also. I think it would be okay overnight but I would not trust it through the day. What do you guys think?
peter p

Post by peter p »

It's suppose to cool down by the end of the week. The nights will be just above freezing.
Yes it will be safe to leave it hanging at those temps.
A.W

Post by A.W »

peter p wrote:It's suppose to cool down by the end of the week. The nights will be just above freezing.
Yes it will be safe to leave it hanging at those temps.
The weather on CTV this morning said it was going down to 6 degrees this weekend.................That's if you trust the weatherman. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

I have read many articles on this and almost all of them state the optimum temp is 33 degrees F.
Anything more, proportionately increases bacteria growth and risks spoiling, anything less inhibits bacteria growth and accomplishes nothing.

Another thing to be concious, about is humidity..too dry of air increases the loss when processed after drying out. It must be trimmed off.

Another no no is rinsing off the carcass with luke warm water. Optimally it should also be as cold as possible.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1