? tracks!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grizzled47

? tracks!

Post by grizzled47 »

Hi guys,
Went for a walk down the road from here today. Found a couple of nice trails off the main road, and a lovely field area bordered on three sides by forest. I don't know much about hunting, or the best places to find deer etc, but I would guess that these spots near my homestead would be a good place to start!
I found a fresh set of tracks, which i thought must be a deer, but after checking in my course book, it looks like it was a moose!! I don't know anything about tracks, but I think I am right on this one...please confirm!!?? :roll: I also found the print of some other animal...maybe a coyote??? I'm getting to like this "tracking" thing! :wink:
It was a lovely day in NB, and I took a few pics....see below.
Grizzled.
Waking down our road during Tuesday "rush hour" Busy eh?? :lol:
The tracks!Image
The trail where I found them
If at first you don't succeed...try again!!
Grizzled.
grizzled47

tracks

Post by grizzled47 »

OOOPS! missed the pic of me walking down our road at "rush hour"
Grizzled.
grizzled47

tracks

Post by grizzled47 »

OH, and these were the other tracks!???
Grizzled.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Darn Grizzled I thought I could sneakImagein and take alook around your place. My shoe size be large (7 1/2 ) but reckon ya caught me :shock:

Nice pictures.... :D
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

sweeeeet ... beauty quite serene place !

I would say Moose tracks for sure .... as for the others they are too distorted and no size refrence to tell if it is coyote , dog or wolf ....

Wolf tracks are larger than most dogs and coyote tracks have the front two toes pointed inwards or closer together than a dog .

Cool pictures !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I say it's a nice buck. I've seen tracks like that where I hunt and I know there are no moose around there.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

It's a moose track... :)
Ontario Trophy Bucks
grizzled47

tracks

Post by grizzled47 »

Hi guys,
The only reason I said it was a moose track is because of the two marks at the back of the main imprint...like a pair of eyes! In my course book, the only other animal with those is the woodland caribou, and there are none of those here. The deer has a similar main pattern, but not the two back marks (eyes ) But I am only just getting into this, so I could be wrong.
There are some moose around here!
grizzled
Grizzled.
deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

Deer definitely have the dew claws and leave a track exactly like the one in the photo - especially in soft/muddy ground - and they often leave a larger track in the soft ground since more of the hoof makes contact and sometimes slides a little.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Grizzled. When you're out and about with your camera carry a tape rule or something and place it next to the thing you want to take a pic of. That way we can guestimate the size of the object. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I have also seen deer leave the imprints of the two small "thumbs" behind the hoof. Usually only seen with a deep track in soft ground.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
grizzled47

tracks

Post by grizzled47 »

Hi guys, thanks for your replies re the tracks! Keep them coming please.
Here's another one for you. I placed a full pale of apples in my bit of forest last night. I think it was Garyl who said that sometimes they are good, while other times they just rot away. Anyway, this morning, we found just the empty bucket, and no trace of a single apple!! There was just two piles of "apple laced" droppings! I took pics of the droppings and would appreciate your views again! We couldn't make out any tracks, so no idea...please help! :roll: I tried to give some idea of size by placing a tomato, and my work glove at the side of each one! Ugh!!
News just in!!!!!! My wife has just been down the road from here near the trail where we found those ? moose tracks, and a great big Bull moose walked accross the road in front of her car!!!!!!! We are now getting excited. See pics from apple placing!
Grizzled
Grizzled.
huntman

Post by huntman »

Looks like Yote dodo to me :!:
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

huntman wrote:Looks like Yote dodo to me :!:
I would have to agree.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

A moose eating apples!!! That would be one exotic tasting treat for a moose. They would never encounter that kind of forage in the wild, that's for sure.

I would have expected a bear or deer to be the culprit. However, the droppings do appear to be somewhat in the form of pellets, which is consistent with a moose. They are too big for deer. I seriously doubt that a coyote would eat a whole pail of apples, and never in one sitting! Besides, they appear to be pelletized, which is not how a coyote or bear droppings normally would look.

It appears to me that you have supplied a moose with an exotic treat.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.