Arrow Weighting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Adam

Arrow Weighting

Post by Adam »

im just getting ready for my first bow hunt this saturday and i was messing around with my arrow tips and weighed the target tips and the broadheads. i have some little washers that i figure add extra weight where needed. so the qeustion is do i just screw the broadhead into the arrow shaft or put a washer on. i didnt really want to do that much shooting with the broadhead at my club because its tough to pull them out of the target and ive seen some people lose the tip and aluminum insert in the arrow, and i have only one sacrafice wasp tip. I havent been shooting my target tips with the washer, so will the 3 grain difference make a significant difference or should i now sight the bow in the rest of the way with the broadhead.

I got these weights in grains.
Broadhead w/ washer- 102.5
Broadhead alone- 94.5
Target Tip-99.8
Target Tip w/ washer-107.8
striper

Post by striper »

Adam: please explain why you want to weight your broadheads? Especially why just before season begins? Why not go to a heavier broadhead? You really need to target test any modifications you make on your bolts. Maybe I don't understand the question, but if you are hitting where you are aiming, why should you change anything? Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Some broadheads are designed to be used with the washer. It protects the insert from damage from the blades being forced back into the soft metal. From the weights you're giving I'm guessing the intended weight for the broadheads is 100 grains with the washer. I'd use the washer in this case.
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

wabi wrote:Some broadheads are designed to be used with the washer. It protects the insert from damage from the blades being forced back into the soft metal. From the weights you're giving I'm guessing the intended weight for the broadheads is 100 grains with the washer. I'd use the washer in this case.
"DITTO" fer sure.... :)
striper

Post by striper »

WABI: Oops, after 4 years with a crossbow, you have taught me something. Which broadheads need washers? Hopefully not NAP Spitfires since that is what I use.Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

striper, not speaking for wabi, but some broad heads come with washers and some don't as the blades dont seat against your insert.... :) Most that come with washers is too keep them from seating on /in your insert and messing up the insert if you were to hit bone. The other reason for washers on some is they use the washer to help lock in the blades.... :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

will i really notcie a huge difference in the 2.5 grain weight im going to shoot it again tonite just to be sure just looking at what to expect.
thanks for all the info above.
Digger

Post by Digger »

2.5 gr equals 0.005714 ounces. I dont think that will throw shot off that you will notice.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Digger is correct fer sure, you won't see it.... :)