Dang, Sell out

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

Post by TYE »

I guess nobody is interested.... I'm gonna put an add in the paper....should be a good idea.
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

Why are you switching to a compound TYE :?:
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"
TYE

Post by TYE »

Crossbow to me feels like shooting a gun. I like archery, I love shooting recurves and target stuff. I love drawing back a bow. I want to get into 3D shooting with a compound.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

The only thing that resembles shooting a gun is the way you hold it and pull the trigger..In archery season you still have to get them close..AND in my experience its a bit more difficult in the tree because of the area needed in width to shoot without hitting a branch. SO vert bows are easyer in my opinoin to shoot out of a tree stand..you have more positions in a tree to shoot a vert bow than a crossbow..Now from the ground its a different story. But you still have to get them close for either one.....Tye How many deer have you killed in archery season? just curious..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
TYE

Post by TYE »

Hoss wrote:The only thing that resembles shooting a gun is the way you hold it and pull the trigger..In archery season you still have to get them close..AND in my experience its a bit more difficult in the tree because of the area needed in width to shoot without hitting a branch. SO vert bows are easyer in my opinoin to shoot out of a tree stand..you have more positions in a tree to shoot a vert bow than a crossbow..Now from the ground its a different story. But you still have to get them close for either one.....Tye How many deer have you killed in archery season? just curious..
That's what I was saying is it feels like I'm holding my rifle when I shoot my crossbow. I haven't killed any deer in archery season. This will be my first year. Well I hunted last year with a crossbow a couple times but not enough.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I was fed a huge bowl of humiliation last fall. I passed on two fawns(8-10yards) the first morning out and did not get another deer in range until Dec 28. I hunted hard every weekend and some mornings before work. I'm now a firm believer that patterning them and getting setup for a close range shot is 90% of bowhunting. The last 10% is making that shot. I'm very confident with the Excalibur and it has not let me down. Why not hold onto your Excal and try an inexpensive vertical bow before you make the switch?
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
TYE

Post by TYE »

Well here's the thing. Originally I was going to buy a compound bow, but then I messed up my shoulder. So my dad and some other people talked me into buying a crossbow. I did that just so I could hunt the archery seasons. Now that I have the strength back in my shoulder, and it doesn't bother me anymore, I'm gonna do what I wanted to before, and get a compound bow.

You are right though, about patterning them and setting yourself up in position. That's half the fun :) Then comes the shot. Personaly if I don't get a deer, I'm still happy, I love being out there doing what we do. Being in the woods and all that. It's great.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I hear ya. I will probably get a vertical bow someday, just cause I like to have a variety of TOYS! :lol:
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
TYE

Post by TYE »

Me too. I'm gonna get this compound, then I might get a Crossbow after winter. I'm really interested in the compound bows, and I love shooting verticles, so that's why I want one so bad. I really wanna get into 3D and Indoor shooting, and it's not that much fun for me with a Crossbow.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Well I would still hang on to the xbow if'n ya can afford too. Never hurts to have a couple options open fer ya.... :D
TYE

Post by TYE »

GaryL wrote:Well I would still hang on to the xbow if'n ya can afford too. Never hurts to have a couple options open fer ya.... :D
No I can't afford to. I need the money from the Vixen, and my Pheonix which buy dads buying from me, to get my compound.

Sooner I sell the Vixen, the better.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Okay so nobody wants the bow then?
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

Hoss wrote:The only thing that resembles shooting a gun is the way you hold it and pull the trigger..In archery season you still have to get them close..AND in my experience its a bit more difficult in the tree because of the area needed in width to shoot without hitting a branch. SO vert bows are easyer in my opinoin to shoot out of a tree stand..you have more positions in a tree to shoot a vert bow than a crossbow..Now from the ground its a different story. But you still have to get them close for either one.....Tye How many deer have you killed in archery season? just curious..
..........long time my man....iv'e been away for awhile hope your doin well HOSS.----STEEL
TYE

Post by TYE »

Hi Steel, Patriots beat the Steelers :P
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

Once one hunts with both types of archery ( vert or horz), you will come to realize both have their advantages and disadvantages. I agree with HOSS, vertical has more position options when shooting from a treestand. I found this when I went moose hunting this year, my buddies set-up their treestands not thinking of me the crossbow shooter.

TYE.....good luck with the vertical archery. You'll enjoy it!