Another Scent Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Partikle

Another Scent Question

Post by Partikle »

With all these scent threads going around I too thought I would ask a question. I'm thinking about going out after work tomorrow for a late afternoon hunt. The one thing is if I'm leaving from work I won't be able to shower and de-scent the way I usually do when I leave from home.

Everyone here seems to think you can't eliminate scent so I'm wondering if it will matter if I don't de-scent and just head into one of my stands smelling like the "Office" as opposed to my scent free soap, deodorant, scent free laundryed clothing etc.

I could enter one of my stands from downwind but my "smell" in the stand would still be there.

Thoughts?

Partikle
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Doing what you can to eliminate odor is important, but I would rather smell like the office and hunt down wind then take a shower and hunt upwind. Just my opinion.
Kjay

Post by Kjay »

I hunt after work all the time. Just put all your hunting clothes in garbage bag, plus you under clothing as well. I use 'Scent Killer' all the time, spray my boots with coon urine, and if i think i need it cover spray. But these last cpl of days it hasnt been the office smell i have been worried about it has been the profuse sweating. I will Be out tomorrow as well after work, and bid you good luck.

Kris
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Kjay wrote:I hunt after work all the time. Just put all your hunting clothes in garbage bag, plus you under clothing as well. I use 'Scent Killer' all the time, spray my boots with coon urine, and if i think i need it cover spray. But these last cpl of days it hasnt been the office smell i have been worried about it has been the profuse sweating. I will Be out tomorrow as well after work, and bid you good luck.

Kris
Thanks Kris, that's what I was thinking too. I'll shower with my scent free soap and hunters deodorant as usual in the morning. Then after work I'll change into my hunters clothing when I get out of the car and I'll use some human scent eliminator with cover scent as I'm dressing.

Good Luck to you too. I'll post pictures tomorrow night if I see anything.
boogap

Post by boogap »

I got camo coveralls that I always leave in the back of the truck in a bag. No matter what yer wearing, throw them overtop and away you go!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Went out in the light rain this evening, not really expecting to see much just getting out. Went to my ground blind where I could sit in comfort and saw only one deer on the way in. Set for about an hour and decided to have a cup of coffee. Got out the alcohol burner & stove and lit it. Set the pot on to brew (use the "singles" coffee bags) and decided to have a cigar. Fired up a vanilla flavored cigar, had the aroma of fresh coffee brewing, and happened to notice movement out of the downwind shooting port. A buck walked past the blind at less than 5 yards and never even glanced at it! He went across in front of the blind and to the feeder 23 yards away where he munched corn for 10 minutes. He then had some turnip leaves and clover in the food plot, and was within 10 yards a couple of times. He wasn't very large, and with the rain I had no intention of shooting, but I did put the red-dot on his vitals several times. He would have been an easy shot if I'd wanted him. He finally wandered back into the woods behind me with no alarm, ar no notice of the scents coming from my blind. When he was gone I re-lit the cigar and had a cup of hot coffee wondering why he totally ignored all the scent I must have been making?????? Could the rain have been keeping it confined to the blind?
wabi
boogap

Post by boogap »

Maybe he wanted a cup of coffee :lol:
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

If ur rushing to the stand not ready u got to ask ur self if what ur doing is worth the lost of ur dream buck! We have all been there the worst time for u is ur only chance u get. My advice is to get as ready as possible the night before, but also consider the wind more than u would on the ideal hunt.