BuckMaster MaxPoint?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

trpd345

BuckMaster MaxPoint?

Post by trpd345 »

I bought a BuckMaster MaxPoint about 2 years ago for my dad. He has a permit to hunt with one here in NC. After purchasing it I learned about the Excalibur x-bows and that they made the BuckMaster bows. Can my dad's be changed over to a non-compound like the exomag or exomax? If so what is the cost and benefits. Would it be worth it? Thanks for the help!
TYE

Post by TYE »

Personaly I would keep that puppy the way she is. If Excalibur still made the Paradox which was a compound crossbow, like the Maxpoint, I would have bought it instead of the Pheonix I bought.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

trpd345 yes ya can, Digger or LoneWolf can tell you all about it. I think thats a good move and would give you the best of two xbows from one.... :D
Digger

Post by Digger »

Yup, it can be done, but its not a cheap fix, you'll need a new riser, a set of mag tip limbs and all the hardware and a set of db barsand you'll end up wit a 185 ib Emag for a couple of hundred bucks. I haven't tried to do one yet, I like my Paradox, the speed is the same as Exomag but with a heavier bolt and IMHO , as accurate. I have seen one conversion and it looked different as the fellow kept the compound rail. I believe Steve in England converted one.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
steven in England

Post by steven in England »

I converted mine along time ago now before db bars. Actually I didn't really convert it I just bought the riser and recurve limbs so I could interchange from compound to recurve as I desired. Now the bow lives as a Maxpoint only because I have a 200lb Exomag and also a Exomax. I even bought a Paradox just to have Excaliburs name even though its identical to the Maxpoint. IMHO the Maxpoint is best left the way it is and buy a recurve. Don't get me wrong the conversion works great but it just does not look as good with the cable slide grove cut into the frame. The Maxpoint is a great bow and as accurate as the recurves. Only problem is once that serving wears out it really needs to be repaired by a bow shop and also have the timing checked at the same time. The Maxpoint appealed to me at the time because I wanted a bow with the most power I could have and even today it still out powers the 200lb Exomag. It took me along time to come fully round to recurves and today that's all I would buy now. This maybe because of the ease of maintenance or because the Exomax out guns most other bows I don't know. I know I have gone off the beaten track a little but it’s been a while since I last posted. I guess I am trying to say keep the Maxpoint the way it is and buy a recurve or sell it and buy a recurve if money is the problem.
Steven
Steven in England
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

where in n.c. are ya?
thanks philip
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

The main advantage to non-compound crossbow is the maintenance; you can replace the string yourself. On your Maxpoint you'll have to bring it into a bow shop to change the string. Other differences, the non-compound limbs will be a little wider and maybe a little harder to cock depending on the draw weight.

That said, I agree with the other guys, I don't think the benefits would out weigh the cost to convert it. I would keep it the way it is.

Partikle