Boy shot by crossbow in critical condition

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Stupid is as a stupid does..

Of course this could have happened with any weapon, but it probably made headlines because the crossbows are new for hunting this year in Tennessee....

By CHANTAL ESCOTO
The Leaf-Chronicle

A 10-year-old Buck Smith Road boy who was accidentally shot in the neck with a crossbow bolt Saturday by his father remained in critical condition at the Vanderbilt University Medical Center pediatric unit Sunday.
Billy Wayne Jackson III and his father were shooting targets with a crossbow at their property, according to a Montgomery County Sheriff's Office report.

The boy was in the wooded area behind the target looking for a bolt when his father, Billy Wayne Jackson II, went inside the house.

Mr. Jackson said he came back out and didn't see anyone, so he continued to shoot at the target, according to the report. Mr. Jackson missed the target, and the bolt bounced off the ground. Then he heard Billy scream, the report said.

When Mr. Jackson went to see what happened, he saw the bolt had hit his son near the collarbone.

Early reports were that the boy accidentally shot himself.

The boy was treated by Montgomery County Emergency Medical Services and taken by LifeFlight helicopter to Vanderbilt in Nashville.

Chantal Escotocan be reached at 245-0216 or by e-mail at [email protected].
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Go figure, anyone should make Da** sure all is clear. He should have yelled to see where his son was. As you stated ww stupid is as stupid does.... :twisted:
TYE

Post by TYE »

Well this otta make crossbow shooters look good..... :roll:
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

Sounds like another "USER" problem. Maybe he should have read the manual first, what a goof. Sounds more like the "APPLE ON THE HEAD" stupidity....
wabi

Post by wabi »

"boy shot by crossbow" sounds like the evil crossbow did it all by itself. "boy shot by careless father" would be a little more correct!
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

bstout wrote:I can't begin to think of what the Father must be going through much less his son. Accidents are unplanned events. Thats what makes them accidents.
Not to start anything but if I and my two sons are shooting we make darn sure where we all are before a bolt/arrow is ever released. If one of us is not in sight of the group we don't shoot untill he has been accounted for. No accident poor judgement in my view. "careless father"

Yes I feel and pray for the Father a accident that did not and should not have happened.
Bosshog

Post by Bosshog »

That family lives just a few miles north of where i live.
They where trying to get the xbow sighted in to go hunting and just got inpatient and in a hurry and made a terrible mistake!!
This is the first year for xbow hunting in tennessee since it was legalized back in may, and this has been fuel for the anti xbow folks, and there is alot of them here, mostly just a bunch of sour grapes, and selfesh people.

Oh well i sure have enjoyed the first three weeks of bow season with my new Exocet 200, I have not gotten a deer yet, but we have a few more weeks of it, so im sure one will step out in my shooting lanes sooner or later? :D
TYE

Post by TYE »

wabi wrote:"boy shot by crossbow" sounds like the evil crossbow did it all by itself. "boy shot by careless father" would be a little more correct!
I agree. They must be trying to point out the crossbow and give it a negative image.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Bosshog wrote:That family lives just a few miles north of where i live.
They where trying to get the xbow sighted in to go hunting and just got inpatient and in a hurry and made a terrible mistake!!
This is the first year for xbow hunting in tennessee since it was legalized back in may, and this has been fuel for the anti xbow folks, and there is alot of them here, mostly just a bunch of sour grapes, and selfesh people.

Oh well i sure have enjoyed the first three weeks of bow season with my new Exocet 200, I have not gotten a deer yet, but we have a few more weeks of it, so im sure one will step out in my shooting lanes sooner or later? :D
Any update on the how the boy is doing?
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Bosshog,

I haven't seen any of that on the Tennesee hunting site.

Most say that could have happened with any wepaon - and it could.

Last I heard the boy was in "stable condition".

Youngsters are tough ...
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Accidents usually occur from either being caught up with multiple thoughts/actions, or absent mindedness, and/or trying to do things too quickly and not thinking things through. Unfortunately, this can be fatal when handling anything dangerous, especially a weapon.

A word of caution to all new crossbow users going out the first time(and even seasoned xbowers), take your time and keep your attention to what you are doing. If you're excited with your new toy or even by the big buck that just showed up at your a stand, get a handle on yourself before raising your weapon and deciding to shoot. Be safe.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Bosshog

Post by Bosshog »

Last i heard he was in stable condition, and looks like he will be all right.
I belive they said they were using field points on the bolts, and thats a good thing,
If he had been hit with a broadhead he just might be dead due to extra blood loss?? But who knows?
There has been a few here in tennessee that have made wisecracks about what happened, saying that xbows are dangerous and should not be used.
What happened with the kid and his careless dad is just fuel for the fire.
Ive even had people say smartass things to me about my excalibur xbow,
Its really hard to belive just how crazy some people have gotten over the new xbow law here in tennessee.
I know one guy who says he will not hunt during archery season since xbows are allowed, Because he says they are a disgrace to the archery sport of hunting. I told him thats fine because that will leave more deer for me!! :D :D
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Bosshog wrote:.....
I know one guy who says he will not hunt during archery season since xbows are allowed, Because he says they are a disgrace to the archery sport of hunting. I told him thats fine because that will leave more deer for me!! :D :D
WOW!! That showed us didn't it??

"See my nose? Watch me chop it off to spite my face.."

Too funny...
Woody Williams

GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Quote in part bstout "Their vert bows will end up flying out of the back of their trucks going down the highway and get wrapped around some crossbowers drive shaft if they're not careful. I'm still laughing over that one!"

Geeeee's me too :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

bstout wrote:You need to have your wits about you when toting a crossbow. You can't be asleep at the switch like you can toting a vert bow.
I learned that the hard way. Luckily, the damage to my limbs after the dry fire was insignificant. :wink: :oops:
The people bashing crossbows because of this accident seem to be totally illogical. The boy would be in just as bad shape if he had been shot in the neck with a vertical bow instead of a crossbow. The crossbow-hating crowd reminds me a lot of the gun-banning crowd---using illogical arguments and emotional sentiment to fool the public. Not to say that it wasn't a very sad accident, but it was the father's fault, not the crossbow's.
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"