Wolverine question for Eastern Ontario hunters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

stump

Wolverine question for Eastern Ontario hunters

Post by stump »

On Saturday, my neighbour was out grouse hunting and scouting for next Saturday's opening of bow season for deer. On his way out of the bush, he saw a "funning" looking bear. It had a longer tail and a white/grey stripe down its side. He said it was about 40 pounds, and crossed the road in three strides. To me, it sounded like a wolverine, but I'd never heard of any being this far south and east. I showed him a picture of one and he said "yes, that's it". This guy is not prone to story telling and he had a good look at it. He was near the village of White Lake, not far from Pakenham. Have any of you ever heard of wolverines in that area, or in any other part of Eastern Ontario?
Last edited by stump on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Ask the MNR. But they will probably deny the existance of wolverines just as they deny the existance of cougars.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Digger

Post by Digger »

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
stump

Post by stump »

Last night I was talking to a retired police officer, who's an avid and long-time hunter, and I asked him if he'd ever heard about a wolverine sighting in Eastern Ontario. He told me that a couple of years ago a wolverine was hit by a car about 80 miles from where my buddy saw the one on Saturday. Sounds like their territory is expanding and they're adapting to the warmer climates.
North2South

Post by North2South »

When I lived in Pembroke in the 70s (about 60 miles from the sighting - my Mom's a Clay Bank girl) my friend's uncles had some on their property outside Algonquin Park. So they've been around for a while.
You can take the boy South...
But y'all can't take the North outta him!

Time spent in the tree...is time well spent!
stump

Post by stump »

Someone just informed me that one was killed by a car 2 years ago at Union Hall, just outside of Almonte. I didn't hear about it at the time and thought we were too far south. I'd prefer not to run into one of those puppies, unless I'm in my Jeep.
TYE

Post by TYE »

chris4570 wrote:Ask the MNR. But they will probably deny the existance of wolverines just as they deny the existance of cougars.

There are a couple Cougars where I bow hunt. Also there's apparently a family of cougars just outside Lindsay and they took down a few horses I heard.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

If you ever hit one of those animals take pictures!! I would say throw it in the back of your truck or in the trunk but you might get into some trouble. But that is the only way to disprove what the government is telling us.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

What does the government know! They can't run this country, little lone know whats running around our woods.
stump

Post by stump »

My buddy sent me the following email re. his conversation with the MNR.

The wildlife technician was quite interested in what I had to say and he
took me quite seriously. There have been reports of wolverines in Chalk
River and Westmeath. Both are not that far away. We talked for about 20
minutes and I answered a few questions for him. The tech took my personal information and told me he would call me if he received any
more calls regarding the wolverine. He is hopeful that wolverines are
making their way down here so that deer have another predator. Apparently, young males prefer to travel far from the mother once they cut the cord. He said wolverines are very clever, very fast, and stay away from people for the most part. He has only seen one up in the Hudson Bay area. Apparently, wolverines are known for following trappers and stealing food from traps without getting trapped.