Crossbow Noise question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Harry Crabtree

Crossbow Noise question

Post by Harry Crabtree »

Folks, I'm considering an Excaliber Exomax crossbow package to hunt with here in south Georgia and had a question regarding noise and arrow weight. I'm more concerned with noise than with speed. Do you have noticably less noise if you shoot say a 2219 instead of a 2216 or a 2213? Have watched all the instructional videos on Excaliber's web site and didn't hear any of that addressed. Suggestions?
fletch

Post by fletch »

That is the opinion of the expertise on the forum. I think it does help to quiet it a little by shooting heavier bolts. I have added two stabilisers on my max and i think it quieted it down a bit. I have yet to see a deer react to the shot before the bolt was thru them. Thats just my experience, as limited as it is, if it is in proper range and not on alert.
Harry Crabtree

Post by Harry Crabtree »

Thanks so much for the reply. I know that's what I do with my compounds to help quieten them down (among many other things!) but didn't know if that thinking held true on crossbows or not. As for "jumping the string" (which I have had happen most recently with a coyote and an Onieda compound), you're saying that an Excaliber crossbow shoots fast enough that, in your experience, you haven't seen one deer jump the sound? That is incredible.
Nudo7

Post by Nudo7 »

Also, an after market wood stock will help quite the beast. I also have a max with stablizers it helps. But I have a new stock comming soon from Mark here on the forum can't wait. :wink: Good luck.
Thats Right!!
Member NRA
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/nudo7/Nudo7.jpg[/img]
Digger

Post by Digger »

The use of a heavier bolt of 450 gr range would give the bow less vibration and less noise. I have bolts that weigh 450 to 465 gr , a stabilizer and one of Mark's stocks on a Paradox that just whispers now. It still shoots in the 325-330 fps.

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
wabi

Post by wabi »

If you're more concerned with noise than speed, why not a Phoenix?
Never had a chance to shoot one yet, but another forum member tells me his is the quietest Excalibur yet. Even less noise than his Vixen(s).
wabi
Harry Crabtree

wooden stocks to make bows quieter

Post by Harry Crabtree »

Nudo7, thx for the idea of a wooden stock to make the crossbow quieter; I hadn't thought of that. Who is this Mark gentleman that is referred to in the postings that makes wooden stocks for crossbows? Thx
Harry Crabtree

Post by Harry Crabtree »

Digger, the photo of your wooden stock....well, it's one of the best looking stocks I've ever seen. She's a real bute! Got the contact info for the fellow that makes them? Also does he make stocks for crossbows other than Excaliber as well (Ten Point??) Thx
Kdog

Post by Kdog »

Harry, I regreatably sold my Emag earlier this year. Trust what these guys are telling you. Mark is the man when it comes to wood stocks no doubt.

I was using Beaman T-bolts with 125 grain Steal Heads to calm the thing down. Never had a deer run more than 50 yards with this combo.

Kdog
Harry Crabtree

Post by Harry Crabtree »

Kdog, thx for the confirmation. Who is this Mark fellow that makes these nice stocks? They are really first class. You know how to get up with him?
Digger

Post by Digger »

The gent that makes the stocks is Mark Henegar a member of this forum He is member # 85. Pm him for prices and models
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Click this link, scroll down till ya see a post by Mark and then PM him for INFO.... :D

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?
t=10553&highlight=stocks

Here is a link to more, might want to read it first, scroll down 10 posts.... :D

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ght=stocks
Harry Crabtree

Post by Harry Crabtree »

Digger wrote:The gent that makes the stocks is Mark Henegar a member of this forum He is member # 85. Pm him for prices and models
Thx, will follow up with Mark :D