Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

devilsedge

Question

Post by devilsedge »

Do you think that if you are shooting at deer, at 30 yards or more they could see the bolt in flight.

The reason I ask is because I took a shot at a deer this weekend that was up wind of me and had no idea that I was there. I did misjudge the distance but when I fired, the deer look like it caught movement and ducked.

not sure just asking
shoot straight stay late.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

From the sound more then seeing the bolt I would think.... :D
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I think Gary is right on.
devilsedge

Post by devilsedge »

The only reason I posted the question is because when I made the shot on saturday the wind was blowing strong and the deer did not seem to hear the bow
shoot straight stay late.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

They're hearing is pretty sharp, and they're reaction time excellent. Aim a bit low if you can.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Arron the deer will see things quicker then hear them. Sound travels slower then light, which is why I try not to make shots when the deer is not looking in my dirrection.

I have a video (from retail) where a deer quartering away litterally caught the arrow with it's antlers and deflected the arrow away. It was amazing to watch unfold in how it reacted to hit the arrow with it's antlers. Now this was with a compound and not a crossbow, nor do I know the speed of the arrow.

With a 30 yard shot with your bow, the arrow speed will almost definatly eliminate string jump, but it can react if it sees your limbs move when firing the arrow. Beyond 30 yards the chances of the deer reacting to sound is greater (as per the artical from BillT) remembering that the arrow also makes sound in flight. If you use feathers the flight of the arrow will be greater then the shot.

hope this helps.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
TYE

Post by TYE »

ecoaster wrote:They're hearing is pretty sharp, and they're reaction time excellent. Aim a bit low if you can.
Why aim low?
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

TYE wrote:
ecoaster wrote:They're hearing is pretty sharp, and they're reaction time excellent. Aim a bit low if you can.
Why aim low?
Because they ALWAYS CROUCH before they leap. Their legs are like coil springs which they "load up".
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Oh ok I understand now :) I'll have to remember that.
ComfyBear

Re: Question

Post by ComfyBear »

devilsedge wrote:Do you think that if you are shooting at deer, at 30 yards or more they could see the bolt in flight.
Aaron, last week, when I shot at a ruffled grouse at 32 yards, I clearly saw my bolt/fletching fly and hit it.

If I can see the arrow fly, a deer with even better vision will have no problem seeing it, . if it is looking when you fire.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

I think the noise is what makes them duck but if they see it and hear it they duck even sooner. Check out this video and see how much the deer ducks and how quickly he ducks. The author claims the deer dropped 8 inches in less then 1/8 of a second!!!
http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features ... ngjumping/