Another head scratcher......can't believe this one!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GonHuntin

Another head scratcher......can't believe this one!

Post by GonHuntin »

Shooting the new exocet and I'm using 18" gold tip Laser IIs with 4" feathers and 130 wasp cam locks........at 40 yards, 2 bolts hit to same point of impact.......the third consistently shoots 2" higher.......I switch broadheads and the same thing.....2" higher.......so, I bring them in and weigh them thinking the one shooting higher must be substantially lighter......nope, within 2 grains.....now I'm baffled......until I remember that I accidentally fletched the first gold tip with a helical clamp instead of straight offset......doesn't make much difference at 20 yards, but 2" at 40 sure surprised me!!! Now I'm thinking I should have done them all helical!!!
A.W

Post by A.W »

Never thought of that before but it kind of makes sense. If you shoot the same equipment then they should land the same.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Well fer sure I stand to be corrected, but with a helical fletch ya get more spin to help with stablization of your arrow or bolt and comes in to play with certain BH's. However the more spin on your arrow or bolt the more drag. So in reality the longer shot with the helical should have hit lower at 40 Yards. But with reality one never knows..... :D

A good one whom maybe able to answer why on this one.. would be Digger, bstout, Jim C. or wabi and of course bj.... :D
Last edited by GaryL on Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

GaryL wrote:However the more spin on your arrow or bolt the more drag. So in reality the longer shot with the helical should have hit lower at 40 Yards. But with reality one never knows..... :D
That's exactly what I thought too......that's one of the reasons it's a head scratcher........

I've been hunting with Excaliburs for about 10 years and I find out that the more I shoot these things.....the less I know!!! :D