1st crossbow buck !!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

buckman

1st crossbow buck !!

Post by buckman »

I went out with a buddy of mine Tues. eve. I had decided to move my stand. I picked out a new tree and set up. I had just pulled my bow up and heard a deer snort. I looked to my right 5 deer standing 20 yrs. from me. I thought "KISS OF DEATH" nothing like getting caught getting in your stand. I setteled in anyway. 1/2 hour later I had a spike come out of the thicket. He walked around me for 20 mins, then wandered off. I felt a little better. 1/2 an hour later or so I see another deer coming from the same trail. I could see horns, looked pretty good. After about 10 mins. he stepped out. I watched him for a while and decided weather or not to take him. He was a real nice 7 point. I know there are some monsters on this property, I was'nt sure I should take him so early in the season. I watched him for some time and decided to take him. He moved off to my right about 3o yrds. and stopped, no shot. I thought Oh well. He started to move off and then turned around and started coming back. He stopped about 25 yrds away. I raised my bow, placed my sight just behind his shoulder and touched it off. This was my 1st shot at a deer with a crossbow. I am shooting an Exocet 200. The bolt was so fast I did not see it travel. I felt good about the shot. He ran about 10 yrds and stopped for a few seconds, then ran again maybe another 10 yrds. he made a giant leap and crashed. I was all over. He was'nt a monster but very nice 2 1/2 yr. old. The real trophy for me was a nice clean kill. My bolt went though 1 lung and center punched his heart, then it buried about a 12'' into the ground. I am very happy!! I was not able to get any pics. My camera was in my truck and I rode with my buddy. I took him straight to my butcher. I was about 74 degrees I was concerned he would spoil. Now I still have several doe tags to fill and I am sure I will. I am glad I bought the exocet and also happy I found this forum. I have found alot of great advice from all of you guys. So thanks for the help and thanks for letting me share my experience.

Good luck to you all, Buckman :D
maple

Post by maple »

Way to go Buckman. Nice to see that many deer. That's about how many I see in a season. Good shootin and good eating.

Maple
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Way to go Buckman! Congradulations.

SO you like how the bow shoots I take it.

Good story.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Congrats buckman! 8)
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

BIG CONGRAT'S.... :D
morepowr

Post by morepowr »

Congrats on 1st buck and clean kill.
"If it moves, my excocet will kill it"
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

congrats
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
csharkie

Post by csharkie »

Congrats buckman!
buckman

Post by buckman »

Thanks guys and yes DaveHawke I like how it shoots.
Buckman
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Congratulations !
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
A.W

Post by A.W »

Congrats!!! :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Congrats!!!

It's always nice when things come together.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

Congrat's. :D :D
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
peter p

Post by peter p »

Congratulations.
Job well done.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Congrats. The same thing happened to me about 10 years ago. I spooked 2 bedded Bucks about 30 yards from my stand. They were in briars [ an old grown up pasture field] and just lumbered away. The wind was in my favor, they just didnt like the noise. They both returned about 2 hours later and I took the bigger one.