are you ready for a good one? uncocking ouch!!!!!!!!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bowhunter4334

are you ready for a good one? uncocking ouch!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by bowhunter4334 »

hi guys,
i been around awhile, but haven't been in for a long while.

are you ready for a good one?

once upon a time, uncocking, i didn't take my arrow out of my exocet, and then i proceed to put my boot in the stirrup and uncock by hand...

did i scream.......alone in the woods, just getting dark, and my broadhead is in my foot.....

i couldn't find the strength to cock it at that point, so i held the string up as much as i could with one hand, and proceeded to pull the arrow out of the bow sideways....bending it useless.....

my foot, a year later, is just fine now.......my boot has been siliconed to make it waterproof again

and it's taken this long for me to work up the nerve to tell you guys....

i know it sounds ridiculous, but it happened.......i hope never again

other than my carelessness, shouldnt the arrow be just a bit longer so that when we put out foot in the stirrup, it gets pushed out?

that would be a good safety measure........other than keeping my brains turned on

go ahead and laugh......i'm healed now........still somewhat shy about it

but i wouldn't mind hearing any comments, other than how dumb and careless i was.......i know exactly how much..LOL

regards,

bowhunter4334
Humans are hunters and gatherers by nature, although most do it in grocery stores these days......Reality isn't what it used to be !
TYE

Post by TYE »

OUCH!! That's gotta tickle!

Try 22 inch bolts ;) Might be long enough to be moved when you put your boot in the sturrip.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Your not the first.... I posted this last January...
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=7901

Luckily this fellow had a friend with him. I think about that story EVERY time I uncock my bow. ( I have an ExoMax and I can barely uncock it with 2 hands)

Glad to hear your alright now.

Partikle
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Never gave that a thought. Glad to hear that everything is fine. I'll think of that each time I unload my Exocet.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Ouch is right. I was just thinking of the other night. Easy to forget that when it is dark and your ready go. I was thinking of going to 19 inch arrows but dont think I will just because of that. I dont think I could get my foot in the stirrup with 20 inch arrows.
peter p

Post by peter p »

Did it go right through your foot or just pierced the skin.
I always think about that happening everytime I uncock the bow.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Another good reason to uncock it by shooting an arrow into the ground. :wink:
wabi
The Pistoleer

Post by The Pistoleer »

I hunted with the Vixen the first time last night. I have never tried uncocking by hand while practicing but thought about it last night. It dawned on me how easy that doing just that very thing could be. I decided to shoot the bolt with the field point on it. (almost couldn't find the bolt it buried so deep in the dirt.

Pete
Be Safe, Have Fun
huntman

Post by huntman »

After lossing many many arrows after shooting it into the ground to uncock the bow, i decided to buy a very small Mckenzie block to carry with me in my truck. The box is about 12X12X12", After walking back to my truck after a hunt i shoot a field tip into the box at about 10 yards. I haven't lost an arrow and more importantly i haven't had any injuries.
bowhunter4334

the bone stopped it

Post by bowhunter4334 »

peter p wrote:Did it go right through your foot or just pierced the skin.
I always think about that happening everytime I uncock the bow.
one of the bones in my foot stopped it from going right through,
but i had alot of bruising and tenderness.........the hole was nice and clean, quite surgical actually.....no stitches required on the outside,
the inside must have been quite a mess though...guess it was sort of good that it was a brand new broad head

if it wasn't for that....i think i would have been still stuck to the ground where i shot myself...LOL

thanks for all of the comments guys...........

Be Carefull

bowhunter4334
Humans are hunters and gatherers by nature, although most do it in grocery stores these days......Reality isn't what it used to be !
Basel

Post by Basel »

When uncocking by shooting into the ground. use a bolt with a washer behind a field point to minimize the penetration. Works for me.
Basel
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Bowhunter 4334

You said to go ahead and laugh.

I couldn't even if I wanted. The "pucker factor" has all my skin so tight I couldn't even break out a smile.

Glad you're healed now...one year older and a lot wiser, no doubt.

(Good for you for sharing. You just might have spared someone else from this lapse of attention.)
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
A.W

Post by A.W »

When I was a kid in the Brit Army we were firing the General Purpose Machinegun...On a bipod and belt fed.

One guy was firing and the pistolgrip came off the gun. He let go of the gun and rolled onto his back and was asking the instructor what to do. Meanwhile this gun is bouncing all over the place.

The instructor dived over top of this person and grabbed the gun at the same time snapped the belt off and held onto it till it emptied.

It didn't take that long but I was praying that I had an overbite so I could dig into the ground faster.

The instructor let this guy wear the gun.....if you get my drift.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I remembered reading about someone else doing that. Thanksgiving weekend I put my foot in the stirrup to let down my Exocet and it was still loaded with an arrow and broadhead. But I couldn't put my boot all the way in without touching the broadhead so I realized it was still there before I got into a serious predicament.

I was trying to figure out how you guys managed to get your feet in there and still let your crossbow down when loaded.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"