I feel like qiving up

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Camper

I feel like qiving up

Post by Camper »

Well I have shot 2 deer this year and both deer were not recovered.

The first was a small spike horn which I shot at 10 yards from a tree stand, The shot was way high but just under the spine, found the arrow 70 yards in the bush, terrible blood trail, about 4 inches penetration broadhead still in deer. looked for 2 days grid searched the area with 3 guys. Nothing

Second deer was a doe shot at 25 yards, My arrow hit a branch, hit the front shoulder again found the arrow 50 yards 3 inches of penetration, she dumped a fair bit of blood, the blood trail ended after about 150 yards
looked and looked again for 2 days. Nothing

I cannot beleive this!
I am just beside myself, this has got to be the worst thing for a bow hunter to have happen.
I am seriously considering quitting bow hunting, I probably won't but I feel like it

I practice in the off season from treestands and the ground, I make sure I know where my broadheads are hitting, I wait for the proper shots and keep my yardage close

I am so dissapointed in myself .

Just needed to vent.

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
TYE

Post by TYE »

Wow sorry about your luck. That's a real bummer.

All you can do is try your best.
TYE

Post by TYE »

I was just outside practicing from 20-25-30 yards. My dad shakes his head at me shooting soo much, but he'll understand why when he misses his deer and I get mine.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Hang in there Camper :D ! Sounds like you are doing things right, both in terms of hunting and in terms of your recovery efforts. I know the feeling though. Last year with 2 days left in a rifle hunt I wounded a buck because I made a stupid mistake. I felt terrible and I was done with hunting at that point. If not for the other guys encouraging me, I would have packed up and went home.

Ninepointer
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
TYE

Post by TYE »

Just think. You're still a step ahead of Roy. He's an old guy in my rifle camp, he's 70 something. We went up to set up camp and some of us were staying to hunt moose for the week, and Roy forgot his rifles. :lol:
franklinm

Post by franklinm »

Camper You have probably heard all the advice you want , But give out not up , hang in there , pick a spot on the deer and aim at it , take your time and things will come together for you .
CaptainCharles

Post by CaptainCharles »

These things happen to bow hunters...Look at it this way, maybe they are all happening to you at the front end, and now, you will have great success!!

Don't give up!
"The American Dream is having your name on a weapon!" - Ted Nugent
BUCKSHOT

Camper

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Take everything that happens as a good learning experience!
It is unfortunate that things don't always work out the way we want, but your efforts and ethical approach are very important!
Things will work out for you!
Enjoy the Harvest!
Camper

Post by Camper »

Thanks fella's,
hopefully its just a run of bad luck.

I just hate to think of what the animal is going through
and I miss that damn sweet meat!!!

Thanks
Camper

Camper
ogo

Post by ogo »

Camper,don't be to hard on yourself, remember what Forest said (s*** happens) most hunter's, gun, bow, etc. have day's like this.It's only when they come in bunches like bannans that it suck's. Don't quit I'am sure you'll get back in the grove.*****************ogo
Bruno-TL

Post by Bruno-TL »

Hi Camper, sorry about the lost deer. I just came back from Wisc and I also lost a nice rack buck. Two days of looking and nothing. 125 yard blood trail and then nothing. The shot was a pass thru so what happened I just don't know. Have to just chalk it up to experience. Maybe I will become a better tracker. :wink: Thom
Furor

Post by Furor »

Dont get too down on yourself about it. Nature is harsh and wounding a deer, while undesirable, isnt the end of the world. Look at it like this, predators will eat whether they have to hunt down a healthy animal or take a wounded one. Your lost deer wont go to waste if it doesnt survive. Not every wounded deer dies, people have killed deer only to find a broadhead still stuck in them, healed completely. Also the wildlife management departments take into consideration deer that are lost or wounded when they decide how many tags to issue, every season people shoot deer that arent recovered and it isnt the end of the world. Learn from your mistakes but dont quit hunting.
Furor

Re: I feel like qiving up

Post by Furor »

Camper wrote:
I am just beside myself, this has got to be the worst thing for a bow hunter to have happen.

Camper
No, that would be shooting yourself in the foot, :lol:
Camper

Post by Camper »

Furor Wrote,
No, that would be shooting yourself in the foot,

LOL LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Camper

Camper
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Camper,

Things like that happen.
As was mentioned, we must learn from our mistakes...

Keep your head up!...

Get back out-there and good luck to ya!...
Ontario Trophy Bucks