Doe with a large tumour

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TAC

Doe with a large tumour

Post by TAC »

This young doe was on the edge of my forest today. She wasn't walking very quickly and was only able to bound away for about 5 seconds before having to walk again.

Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Wow, what a burden.. :(
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Hey TAC welcome back. Where have you been hiding?
TAC

Post by TAC »

In the woods, at work, pretty much everywhere. ;)

Seriously though, I've been pretty busy the past few months and usually just lurk through a few boards and rarely post on any due to the lack of time to come back and read replies at a later date.
huntman

Post by huntman »

welcome back TAC!! Nice to see your name back on the board and it looks like you haven't lost your talent in taking great pics! 8) Keep them coming :D
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

TAC good to see ya around----------------dont be a stranger..... :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
TYE

Post by TYE »

I'd put her out of her misery?
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Hey there TAC :D Great Photos,, Thats to bad for that doe..........

Well Take care of yourself TAC ,

BTW did you ever manage to recover the Rack off that BIG Brute of a Deer.... :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
fletch

Post by fletch »

Hi Tac nice to see you post again. That is a large tumour, were you considering dispatching her? If you do maybe the MNR would like to test the tumour.
Have you see the big buck lately?
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Hi TAC, how ya doing. Say, I'm very interested in what and how that doe got that tumor. I've got a doe with the exact same tumor and the exact same size, on my property. I saw her last year, just 200 hundred yards from my trailer. When she ran away, she looked like a Holstein cow with its udder swaying back and forth, except at the oppsite end. Her whole front half of her body swayed with the tumor. Maaannnnnnn, I felt sorry for her, and likely so did the coyotes, can't believe they haven't attacked her yet.

Phoned the Game Wardens and asked if I could put her out of her misery, they said only if I tag her, " ya right", they weren't to concerned about it.

If you find out why these freaks of nature happen, let me know, wouldja ?

Also about 3 to 4 years ago, I saw another doe with the same growth, but only alot smaller, I would think its the same deer.

Grey Owl
LoneWolf

Re: Doe with a large tumour

Post by LoneWolf »

TAC wrote:This young doe was on the edge of my forest today. She wasn't walking very quickly and was only able to bound away for about 5 seconds before having to walk again.
Hi TAC.

It's nice to see a post from you now and then... :)

Wow, that is one mother load of a tumour...

It would obviously slow her down quite a bit, not to mention that the doe is probably getting rejected from the other deer because of her abnormalities. Animals with abnormalities are often rejected from the others.

P.S. You mean to tell us that you haven't harvested that monster yet... :wink:

Good Luck on putting your tag on that big bad boy!... :D ( looking forward to them pics! )
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Hello TAC! Interesting pic!

I saw a doe last winter with a similar tumor, but in the throat. Sure looked weird, but it didn't seem to bother the deer. It went about it's business and didn't look like it was suffering from it.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
TAC

Post by TAC »

Thanks guys.

I was sent some info regarding the pics and it appears that this doe possibly has a hydrocyst. The link below explains what that is and says that the meat is still safe to eat. I nonetheless suspect that if I had a doe tag I would be passing on this deer. The thought of eating meat that came from a puss-filled deer just doesn't appeal to me that much!

http://mich.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_ ... --,00.html

And no, I've not got the big buck yet. In fact, I've yet to see a buck while hunting! I was busted last night by a monster doe and her fawns. The doe is huge and I have seen her many times this fall. She seems to have a snorting fetish. Last night she only snorted at me about a dozen times but a few weeks ago she did over 40 times before I lost count as she ran away!

I'm beginning to think I have mutant deer around here....
Fur & Feathers

Post by Fur & Feathers »

Hi TAC,
It's been awhile. Hope everything is going well for you. I've been dying for a update on the monster buck you entertained us with last winter. Is he still around? Are you on his pattern?
Get out & Enjoy.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Put an arrow through the cyst and it will drain. In a few minutes it will be nothing more than loose skin.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"