Which crossbow: Ten Point or Excalibur?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Harry Crabtree

Which crossbow: Ten Point or Excalibur?

Post by Harry Crabtree »

Guys, I hate to ask this on the Excalibur forum but I've narrowed my choices for a crossbow down to Excalibur & Ten Point. In the Excalibur, I'm looking at the Exomax at 225 lbs. The Ten Point really feels good in my hands but I realize it shoots a bit slower with 183 lbs. I've read many of the posts in praise of the Excalibur but what about the Ten Point? Is the fact that it's a compound make it louder? Need a little insight here from some of you crossbow veterans. Thx so much guys.
I always get the last words at my house, "Yes Dear"
TYE

Post by TYE »

Ten Points are quieter
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Excalibur is user friendly by design...string change..break down ect..I never had a ten point but I here alot of guys that want one or the other end up getting a excalibur over a ten point for those reasons..noise dont matter...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Harry, deer will always hear the twang of a Xbow, but only after the arrow passes completely through him. Up to 30-35 yards noise doesn't matter.

Ten points are definetely nice, almost bought one, but elected to hang it back up and grabbed a Excalibur.

Grey Owl
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

TYE wrote:Ten Points are quieter
I don't know about that one. My father shoots a Ten Point and it is louder than my Paradox, and the Ten Point is also louder than my Exocet-200. Oh yeah, and the Ten Point crossbows are also heavier... I'm sure other members will have the same opinion as mine as far as for them being louder and heavier compared to the Excalibur crossbows..
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Deer Dave

Post by Deer Dave »

Did you shoot them both ? Then make your choice based on how "you" feel about them. Everyone has different opinions, see what feels right to you when you shoot them.

What bow doesn't make noise? Verticle bows also.

Dave
dw

Post by dw »

all my tenpoints were definately quieter then my excaliburs. also heavier. very well made and very expensive. i own 2 excaliburs now. they are getting expensive also. but i love my excaliburs
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

dw wrote:all my tenpoints were definately quieter then my excaliburs. "
Come and shoot my fathers Titan and I guarantee you that you won't be saying that... :)
Ontario Trophy Bucks
TYE

Post by TYE »

I've shot Horton's. I have no idea if they are anything like Tenpoints though.
Don

Post by Don »

Excalibur Plus's

Lighter
Better customer service
No need for a bow press to change strings (they can be done by hand in the field - this is a huge huge plus)
Most accurate hunting crossbows you can buy
(cost of stringreplacement - just the cost of the string you can do it yourself and 999 out of a thousand times if you set the string brace height no resighting is required - Continue hunting) As I said above a huge huge plus

Tenpoint Plus's
A bit narrower across the limbs
Anti-dry fire device (this is the biggest plus here)

Excalibur minus's
Only one I can think of is that they are a it wider across the limbs but I have never found this to be a problem myself

Tenpoint Minus's
Expensive, Expensive, Expensive
Catch your string on something on the woods and your hunting day is done off to the bow shop you go to get a bow press to put on a new string
(String replacement cost - price of string plus price of labour at the bow shop to put it on and then resight your bow)

You tell me which one you would rather have the one that with a broken string ends your hunting day or the one that you replace the string in the field and continue hunting.
My opinion once you buy an Excalibur you will never need to buy another bow. Durability is unmatched just ask the guys here who still shoot the old Wolverines from way back.

I don't know about you but to me my hunting time is more valuable to me than anything and that's exactly why I shoot Excalibur.

But you buy what you feel comfortable with noone here will bash you, well at least not much anyhow.

Let us know how you make out and what you decide to buy.

Cheers,
Don :lol:
Harry Crabtree

The buying decision continues

Post by Harry Crabtree »

Still trying to decide between the two bows (Excalibur and Ten Point) and did have a friend bring me his Horton 175 to shoot today and he couldn't be happier with his. I know you probably shouldn't do this but he says he is confident out to 50 yards with his Horton but boy, it's loud! All the comments you guys have made leads me to believe the Excalibur is the best way to go long term. I've cut strings on broadheads before loading stuff into my vehicle and knowing me, I'll do it again. The Excalibur, as it's been pointed out numerous times in these posts, would definitely be the easiest to restring and I could do it myself in the field. That said, I'll go with the Excalibur........now which Excalibur model if I want to deer hunt?
I always get the last words at my house, "Yes Dear"
TYE

Post by TYE »

I shoot a Pheonix and I think it is the perfect deer hunting crossbow. No need to go any bigger.