Why can't dogs be used for blood tracking?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Why can't dogs be used for blood tracking?

Post by Hi5 »

Here in Manitoba it is an offence under the Wildlife Act to use dogs in any fashion for hunting big game.

Reading Camper's thread and all the posts about lost game sure is saddening, though not a surprise. It's happened to me.

I understand that the rule may be intended to prevent people from using dogs to drive big game to hunters. I understand also how it is wrong to use dogs to run down big game.

But why the heck have a blanket prohibition? Why the heck can't the rules be drafted to enable a hunter to use a dog to track a wounded animal? That would seem to me to be so sensible in reducing wasted animals that couldn't be tracked because of darkness or rain, etc. All they have to do is permit a hunter to use a dog only while under leash to do its tracking.

It's not a good enough response to say simply that the hunter needs to develop better tracking skills. The best human tracker can't come close to a dog's nose for tracking.

Governments--get real!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

We can use dogs in Indiana for blood trailing IF they are kept on a leash..

I think that was a wise decision..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I've read about a volunteer orgization in New York State called Deer Search Inc. They use German Wire-haired Bassett Hounds (on a leash) to help hunters find wounded deer. There is no fee for this service, but hunters are welcome to make a charitable donation. Sounds like a great idea!

Ninepointer
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
A.W

Post by A.W »

We can use dogs for hunting in Ontario.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

A.W wrote:We can use dogs for hunting in Ontario.
In many WMU's you can but there are some WMU's that you are not allowed to run dogs for deer hunting, like WMU 65 for instance. I have used my beagle who is no longer with me for tracking a couple of deer in WMU 65, but I had him on a leash. And that little beagle ( buddy ) did a great job at finding them when the tracking got tough for me... Man how I miss that dog!...
Ontario Trophy Bucks