50 Yard Broadside Shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fred S

Post by Fred S »

Yes, I would certainly take the 50 yard shot at him, WITH MY CAMERA and thats all.

Those creatures are just too beautiful to take a chance of not retrieving them. There's always tomorrow..........................
HAPPY HUNTING
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Fred S : Wrote
Yes, I would certainly take the 50 yard shot at him, WITH MY CAMERA and thats all.

Those creatures are just too beautiful to take a chance of not retrieving them. There's always tomorrow..
Exactly .... well said .... some guys take risky shots because they figure they won't get another chance , but the reality is waiting for another opportunity is much better than trying to recover a poorly hit animal !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
BUCKSHOT

Do it right

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Figure him out, call him in or wait quietly, get him in and knock him down!

Hypothetical!
If you were calling this guy and he was coming to check you out, you may be lucky to see him at 50 yards, what if you just looked behind you and he was at 12 yards, but you didn't know he was there at first?
Many things are possible!
Just because you might see him at 50 yds doesn't mean he knows you are there, be patient!
Personally I would try to work him and wait for the shot!
Enjoy the Harvest!
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

I think the main reason a 50-55 yard shot with a crossbow is a bad idea is that most people simply can't reliably estimate range at that distance within 5 yards. Since crossbows have such a high trajectory, misjudging by five yards could change the point of impact by close to a foot, especially at longer ranges. A laser rangefinder might help, though.
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"
Alaspan

40 yard broadside shot..

Post by Alaspan »

:cry: Well, along these lines, here's one that just happened yesterday. Two bucks standing in the field...sighted in the large of the two 8-10 points. He began moving, and was aware of my location. I released the bolt at what I believed was to be the 'kill zone'. My scope is centered at 30yds..

I heard the impact with a thump. It was a nice broadside shot. The buck jumped, ran through the bush, jumping the farmers fence. Over an hour later, and several hundred yards later, I managed to find a little blood, then more, and more...this was my first shot on a buck with the x-bow. (Exocet) My heart pounding, three of us followed the trail, the blood was more frequent and in more quantity. I found about 8 inches of the bolt with the fletchings soaked in blood. He couldn't be far. More blood. Then a large splotch on the side of a tree. We're know into about 1 hr 45 minutes after the shot. Then, the worst thing happened. The blood came less and less frequently. Small drops, 1 or 2 on the leaves. Less. Then we lose it. An hour later, I find the blood trail again in a swamp. Lose it. 3 + hours. Another partner finds a drop at a road, the buck crossed the road. A couple more hours into more bush and swamp. Only little drops now. Then nothing. And I mean nothing. 4 of us. 360 degree search on our hands and knees looking for the tiniest drop. All day, nothing... Gone.

Some questions : why so much blood, then less and less??? HOW THE HELL COULD HE GO SO FAR?

Would the broad head (WASP broad head on a carbon bolt) still be in him? Did the bolt snap in half while moving? Or could it break on impact and just stay lodged? There was dark hair in clump where the bolt was found.

The blood was very watery and not thick and heavy. Was it likely a gut shot if he heard the release and dropped?

This is the WORST feeling in the world, and a terrible fate for this beautiful buck. I almost feel like hanging up the bow and waiting for rifle season. This was well under 50yds with a strong, accurate bow. I figured if the shot was better placed, he could not have gone this far??

Miles, without lying down. We tracked all day after the last blood drops. Nothing.....
TYE

Post by TYE »

I don't think I will shoot past 30 yards.
Alaspan

30 Yards.

Post by Alaspan »

I think you're right TYE - after yesterday, I'm even more convinced. I can stack them on target at up to 40 yards, but on a 'live quarry' it's a different ball game.

I can't help but think the outcome would have been different if we were hunting somewhere else in a tree stand as opposed to field with minimal coverage. (on the ground with blinds/camo) very hard to get them in any closer than 30. Very skittish.

I'm still kicking myself, and will be for a while.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

well there ya go...Ifn you would have passed (not judging you here ) mabey the next day he would still be in the area and may provide you witha better shot...instead of miles away and dieing....the biggest reason for letting them get close..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!