what is a furthest distance for a x bow (excomax)?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

scalder

what is a furthest distance for a x bow (excomax)?

Post by scalder »

With a straight shot lets say a farmers field how far would you take the shot on average?
thanks
Digger

Post by Digger »

35 yards for me, maybe 40 if the deer was asleep on his feet and I could hear it snoring. My longest shot with a xbow in 14 years has bee 27 yards.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D :idea: in a perfect world, with all the conditions right , wind ,a clear shooting lane , a head down feeding position and a stedy rest I would shoot no more than 50 yards , I practice this shot a lot on my range and can put 5 out of 5 in the 10 , But one thing to consider is human reaction to seeing a trophy animal at that range ( BUCK FEVER) you might not be so steady any more! no matter much practice you do. We all know how this can affect your shooting ability as well as your perseption of time and distance . I dont think this question realy has a defined answer every shot and hunter are different
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I understand that most just want to know the limit of such weapon..However a person must understand that the whole concept of archery is to get them close..That is where the thrill is..if you want to take long shots wait for black powder and then gun season..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
russm

Post by russm »

I always figured that I would wait for a 25-30 yard shot with my exocet. However, I regularly practiced 40 yard shots, and I had great consistency. When I had my first buck in sight, I knew I could hit him, so I took the shot. I initially thought it was about 35 yards, but when I paced it off last week, it was 43 yards from the base of the tree to the point of impact.

The bow is so accurate, I think that you are good up to 50 yards, if you are comfortable and conditions are right.
geraldbergeron

Post by geraldbergeron »

If, and ONLY if I have a range finder, I would shot at 50 yards.

I always have a range finder around my neck.

I think it is always difficult to evaluate distance with my eye only.

With the range finder I got easily a deer at 50 yards.

..............................................................Gerald.............................../

P.S.: I ask Santa Claus to give me a Variscope witn an integrated range finder......
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

geraldbergeron wrote:
P.S.: I ask Santa Claus to give me a Variscope witn an integrated range finder......
My thoughts exactly!!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

With a varizone scope on my Exocet I can hit a baseball sized target regularly at 50 yards. An empty pop can is dead almost every shot at that range. I've never had a pop can react to the noise yet.
Deer are a different matter! 30 yards MAXIMUM !!!!!!! Deer react to noise, and a bow makes noise. 20 yards is better, and 10 makes for a pretty sure thing. I have heard of deer being shot and killed at 60 yards with a crossbow, but I would not attempt it.
wabi
geraldbergeron

Post by geraldbergeron »

I shot 2 deers at 50 yards with Exomax and Variscope; the bolt got through both lungs and got out.

The main thing is to get the exact distance and QUICK... The range finder is a good thing; but too many things in hands... exomax and range finder; it would be easier to have a range finder integrated inthe Variscope... A dream...??

....................................................Gerald................................../
rtcdir

Post by rtcdir »

I have two long kills with my Vixen one at 40 and another at 47.