Thanks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

curmudgeon

Thanks

Post by curmudgeon »

:) Just wanted to jump in and say thanks to you fellers. You probably saved me a lot of grief. I was lined up on a real wallhanger @ 30 yds, big bodieded deer in my varizone. probably 10 or 12 points on last Sunday morning.
I thought I had better look things over so backed off the scope and saw that my right limb tip would have slammed into a small tree next to my climbing treestand. I did not take the shot and who knows if I will ever get such an opportunity again.
I liked the smaller tree next to me for cover and a nice place to hang my Xbow. As luck will have it, that's where the shot was.
Thanks again, glad I didn't break my jaw, destroy my vixen or knock myself out of the stand. BE SAFE.
wabi

Post by wabi »

You displayed very good judgment in remaining calm enough to check everything, and passing the shot when something was not right. My compliments to you on your decision, and my wishes for another opportunity at him are with you!
wabi
TYE

Post by TYE »

Good call!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

wabi wrote:You displayed very good judgment in remaining calm enough to check everything, and passing the shot when something was not right. My compliments to you on your decision, and my wishes for another opportunity at him are with you!
"DITTO"
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

That was on my mind all the time too when I picked out a natural ground blind being new to crossbow hunting. From reading about it on hear no dought. Good Luck in hunting him again.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I cant help but think the Buck has great respect for you now! He has been compromised by a predator that chose to wait for the clean and pure shot which would relieve him in due fashion..There is much to be said in that! :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I guess I would have to say that is one disadvantage to a recurve Xbow compared to compound Xbows altho there are many other advantages to the excalibur. This was one I had not considered when I placed my order.
Perhaps I will get the opportunity again, thanks for your well wishes.
I will certainly have this in mind on my next treestand placement.
Mainly being a vert bowhunter in the past, I strived for the best cover around me, and the leaves are going fast here. I suppose I will have to hunt a little higher. :)
shootone

Post by shootone »

Good call.
Shootone.
Basel

Post by Basel »

Great restraint! It certainlly does pay to review that mental checklist before you pull the trigger.
Basel
Furor

Post by Furor »

I had a similar problem last weekend, I was hunting out of a friends ladder stand in some tall pines and he had shooting lanes set up but they werent much use with the xbow, I had a couple areas that would provide open shots but many that I think he was using simply wouldnt work without some tree mods which I wasnt prepared to do.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I had to pass up on the biggest buck I have ever personnally seen last year. So I know what that feeling is like. "Will I ever see him again?" goes through your head....a lot!!!!

You made the right decision!! Will you see him again? No one knows. Will I ever see that deer again? No one knows. But it sure makes it easier getting up at 3:30am knowing he's still out there, and if I'm sitting at home I will never know. So, even though I may sit in my stand from before the sun rises until after it sets and see nothing, I will at least know that I didn't miss anything.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"