D'OH...buck reminded me of golden rule

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

WAB

D'OH...buck reminded me of golden rule

Post by WAB »

Well a nice big buck remined me of the golden rule this morning...
I was sitting in my ground blind, and forgot my pee bottle, so I decided to head to another spot to go. I cleared the bush and as I stood getting ready to go, I look up and 25ft from me, broadside, head down eating corn is the buck I have been looking for. With the wind direction right, he had no idea I was there.What he reminded me of is never leave your crossbow behind....I slowly made my way back to my blind, got the bow and made my way out again, by now he had heard me and had made his way out into the middle of the field and walked away into the next bush.
Later found a nice new scrap that had a lot of fresh pee in it, so I think I am back there tonight, with the crossbow.
peter p

Post by peter p »

Hope you get him.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

tough luck WAB, keep trying
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Deer Dave

Post by Deer Dave »

We always seem to tell ourselfs that it will only take a minute....and we chance it by not bringing the bow....thats usually when it happens!

Good Luck , Dave
huntman

Post by huntman »

good luck go get him!!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I HATE having to go pee while in the stand. I put it off as long as I can, cause I don't want to miss out.

So what would you do if while you were peeing into a bottle(I'm assuming this takes at least one hand perhaps two :) ), mid-stream or just started, and the biggest buck you ever laid your eyes upon walked out. Would you finish, then shoot if you still had time? Would you drop your tallywacker, accepting the embarrassing wetness, and then shoot? Or would you try to shoot one handed?
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
JR

Post by JR »

Oh the things we see with the wrong "gun" in our hands! LOL :wink: :wink: -JR
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
wabi

Post by wabi »

That's not only a great trick for seeing deer, but it works with most game we hunt. Many times I've used that trick to flush grouse when things get slow. Just unload the chamber of the gunt for safety, lean it against a tree, take a step or two away, and start to pee......... birds start flying all around, and always go straight away offering wide-open shots. :lol:
wabi
Orion

Ditto!!

Post by Orion »

I had the same thing last Saturday happen to me basically, it was the first day of muzzleloader season here in PA. I bought a new inline in New Mexico last year before i moved back here to PA and hadn't had a chance to use it yet, anyhow its for doe's only right now with muzzle loader and
went out last Saturday seen nothing in the morning went to a different area in the pm was only there 20 min trying to get comfortable in a spot of trees that were downed for cover when the biggest buck I've seen in this area in a while 10 pt come walking up to in front of me head down 12 -15 ft right in front of me. it was very windy so he never seen me till he turned and looked @ me stood there for 10-15 sec and jumped and then stood about 15 yards looking at me for at least 1 min I did not move the whole time and my stomach got extremely sick feeling as the chance of a lifetime just pasted me and I could not do a thing moral of the story I now will use my Exomax all the time!! I did take a nice sized doe Monday with it @ the same area though. God I love hunting and just getting out in the woods as I'm sure you all do also!!