Exomax speed?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Harry Crabtree

Exomax speed?

Post by Harry Crabtree »

Ok guys, now that I've decided on the Exomax, what arrow set up do I want to use, and what will my arrow speed be when I get done? Will it be the 355 fps they advertise in the flyer? What length arrows, aluminum or carbon, what kind of fletching (vanes, feathers?) Broadhead type? I rent some property that has both woods and food patches but I intend to shoot under 30 yards. Thanks again for all the good advice to this crossbow newbie.
I always get the last words at my house, "Yes Dear"
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

What will you be hunting?
TYE

Post by TYE »

Personaly if it was me, I would shoot 2219 Aluminums out of a Exomax. I would shoot the heaviest arrow I could. Because it would still be shooting blazing fast, and would have lots of hit power with the heavy arrow. But that's just me.

I would definately suggest an arrow around 400gr with the broadhead. I think 350gr is too light for the Exomax, cuz I think people were seeing problems with the Exomax when they shot 350gr arrows from them.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I shoot 424gr lazer II's with 125 gr Slicktricks out of mine. As TYE stated stay away from the 350gr min. The Exomax needs a little more bolt weight, just my .25 cents worth.... :D
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Harry

By all means ask lots of questions. There is a good body of knowledge here on this site.

I hope you don't expect to go xbow hunting this season, though. That is, unless you have quite a lot of time before the season starts. You need to allow yourself time to familiarize yourself with your equipment first.

For example, some bolts may shoot more accurately than others. They all should be tested and set aside the culls. The poor ones may be correctable, but it would likely be too much of a learning curve to take that on before season start. People usually start by using target heads. Then you need to test with broadheads. You need to test at varying known distances to find out how the bolt flies...trajectory, in other words.

You may have read the thread started by our fellow archer who lost a couple of deer. It seems he just had some bad luck...but if you rush in before you are ready, you could risk spoiling your enjoyment of the sport.

My comments are not intended to insult you. I welcome you into our sport. Since our deer season which allows xbows starts tomorrow, and if yours is similar in timing, it could encourage a guy to start hunting before sufficient preparation. That can be a formula for disappointment.

Be patient. Have fun.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Harry Crabtree

Post by Harry Crabtree »

Good comments, and no, that doesn't offend me in the least. It's sound advice. Ok if I go with aluminum 2219 with a 125 grain broadhead, then what length arrow would you guys suggest? What do you hear most good feedback on? 20"? Again, sorry for all the questions.
I always get the last words at my house, "Yes Dear"
TYE

Post by TYE »

Yeah the regular length is 20 inches.

Personaly if I shot an Exomax, I'd go with either 20" or 22".

I'm not an expert so I don't know a whole lot.

Right now I shoot an Excalibur Pheonix, with 20" Easton XX75 2219 Aluminums with 100gr Wasp broadheads. I think I'm shooting around 285 fps right now, I have no idea. I also have a Dacron flemish string, it lowers my speed a bit apparently, but it has quited the bow a bit.