Losing our land...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Alaspan

Losing our land...

Post by Alaspan »

Well, it was bound to happen. Our happy hunting ground in Lanark, Ontario (west of Ottawa) are being sold to make way for a gravel pit. No question of buying it - over $450 000 for the 100 acres... we've been looking around but to no avail. Talk about heartbreaking.

If there's anyone who has any good contacts for recreational land (to lease/buy/beg for/borrow) within an hour of Ottawa, could you help our tiny band of xbow hunters?

This is always a tough endeavour - hope someone can point us in the right direciton.

Newspaper ads, and the internet have been scoured... We're hitting dead ends... perhaps someone has a success story they could share on finding their little piece of paradise.

Thanks guys.

Dave
peter p

Post by peter p »

Keep knocking on doors.
DyHard

Post by DyHard »

Has your group tried dropping letters into the mail boxes in the area you wish to hunt?

Saying something to the affect, bowhunt only, safety conscious, courteous, will share in the bounty, reduce crop damage.

Many farmers are tired of feeding these herds and may offer an invite, once the trust has been developed other opportunities may arise.

DyHard
Alaspan

Land...

Post by Alaspan »

We've approached some of the neighbourhing lands. We're a group of firefighters/police, and were well received on personal level, but so far, many of them aren't too warm to the idea of hunting. Not too surprising, but given the amount of crop damage, this sentiment may change. The quest continues. I am hopeful that good networking will be the key. There's a good amount of hunters in and around the Ottawa area, so something should come up. If it all doesn't get flooded with this non-stop rain!!!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Dave
JR

Post by JR »

Alaspan, Have you guys approached the Lanark Landowners Association? They were pretty hard pressed a few years ago to find hunters willing to shoot deer off of their land and had a protest hunt in the spring to reduce crop dammage. I hope this helps, good luck, but if your really really stuck, PM me. -JR
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

I have a bit over 300 acres myself and also another 200-300 next door. Most of the best hunting is a good walk in but worth it. I am not in the habit of letting people on my land at all, let alone to hunt. But...... I am a X O.P.P. officer myself so feel I should help you all if I can. I live stright down # 7 from you about 2 hours. Let me know.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Tigerpaw wrote:I have a bit over 300 acres myself and also another 200-300 next door. Most of the best hunting is a good walk in but worth it. I am not in the habit of letting people on my land at all, let alone to hunt. But...... I am a X O.P.P. officer myself so feel I should help you all if I can. I live stright down # 7 from you about 2 hours. Let me know.
Now that is a generous offer!!! :lol: :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
TYE

Post by TYE »

A.W wrote:
Tigerpaw wrote:I have a bit over 300 acres myself and also another 200-300 next door. Most of the best hunting is a good walk in but worth it. I am not in the habit of letting people on my land at all, let alone to hunt. But...... I am a X O.P.P. officer myself so feel I should help you all if I can. I live stright down # 7 from you about 2 hours. Let me know.
Now that is a generous offer!!! :lol: :wink:
Yep, sure is!

It would suck to lose hunting land.
Alaspan

Holy...

Post by Alaspan »

I'm floored by your offer. I will contact the Lanark Landowners association, and check out what I can find from there.

I'll PM you with some details but wanted to publicly thank you... there's only ever 4 or us (at the most usually 3). I'm RCMP, and we have one ex-member, and a fire chief in our group. Wow. We'll be in touch.

Dave.
A.W

Post by A.W »

I think Christmas came early for some.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

Another thought if you all are looking for something permanent there is a real nice 120 of the land next to me almost all hardwood with some thick evergreens thrown in. I think you could get a good deal on it the farmer wants to sell it because it has no large fields and he raises cattle. If you are interested let me know and I can pm you his ph.#

My previous offer still stands though.

Alaspan

Messages.

Post by Alaspan »

Tigerpaw : I've sent you a PM about the possibility of hunting there...

A.W. : I've sent you something by mistake - apologies bud.

Thanks.

Dave.
Buck Fever

Post by Buck Fever »

I've tried the Lanark Landowners association a few times, they are generally no help. There is a long list of hunters but very few landowners are coming forward to accept hunters on their property.

Good luck with your search.
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

I am almost in the same situation but the property that I hunted has been expropriated into the city :cry: :cry: :cry:
It is now within the city limits which does not allow even shooting a bow within city limits!!!!

Alspan, it sounds like you have an awesome offer there, & kudos to Tigerpaw for making this offer to fellow hunters.
With folks like Tigerpaw around it sure does make life look great to be involved with this fraternity :D

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

with the way things are growing in the area I hunt, I fear it will only be a couple of years before my little hunting hole will be gone as well... Good luck to you with your search,

and Tigerpaw,, that was mighty kind of you :) :wink:

Harry
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife