Open Sights...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FlyingAce

Open Sights...

Post by FlyingAce »

Earlier this spring I know that we had a lengthy discussion on open sights. In the state of Washington, if you're going to use archery for big game season you cannot use any electrical or any other optical sights.

I was just wondering if those who use open sights can post some images of their crossbows as well as their opinions or comments about whether or not they like their sights and what they would do to make them better.

I came across the Alpha Cross from Trophy Ridge, but I have not been able to find any user reviews regarding it. Has anyone tried this product, and is it any good?

Thanks in advance.
Jim Mace

"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." Gen. George S. Patton

Flying Ace Enterprises Inc.
[url]http://www.flyingaceinc.com[/url]
TYE

Post by TYE »

Right now I use the Excalibur's stock fibre optic pin sight, it's not bad. It works. I'm getting the Varizone scope sometime though.

Picture <<< click these
Picture
Picture
Picture
Last edited by TYE on Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Sorry about the jumbo sized pictures
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

I just use the peeps on my Paradox.I sited in at 20 yards and marked the top of the peep to it's holder,then did that for 30,40 and 50 yards.It works great for fast changes whether I'm at the range or in the bush.I look at it this way,if you can't see a deer at 50 yards away then you souldn't be in the bush.
PRB

Post by PRB »

I did try the Trophy Ridge and loved the quality of the fiber optics. Modifications are necessary to install on Excalibur though. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was too bulky. It was also hard to mount on my Vixen to where I felt comfortable with it's stability (afraid I would bump it). The peep had to be drilled out for correct field of view also because of the sights size in diameter. I would like to see the same principle incorporated into something the same size and sturdiness of the Excalibur's front sight.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've done a lot of experimenting with various sights on the Excalibur, and come to the conclusion that for all around effective use it's hard to beat the factory sights. Sure, for specific applications you can improve (such as for low light a "ghost ring" peep), but for general conditions the factory sights are good enough for most situations. If it's too dark to see the factory sights, it's probably too dark to be shooting game anyway. :wink:
wabi
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I have the exact same sight that Tye posted links to. It's okay, but it is really fragile and you have to watch how you sit your bow down. I broke the little green fiber optic piece on mine, but managed to repair it with epoxy. It really needs to have some sort of shroud to protect it. I also thought about getting another piece of fiber optic and putting it on the outside of the "ring". Can you heat and bend fiber optic rods?

Our game laws say you can shoot 1/2 hour before, and 1/2 hr after sunrise and sunset. I have found that the state gives me more time than that green dot on that sight does. When it is finally legal shooting time, I usually can't see the dot for another 10 min. or so, and then only faintly. If you only shoot when you see the fiber optic dot, you won't get in trouble for after hours shooting around here.
PRB

Post by PRB »

Gary Merlie there are some other states with the same laws as yours. I would also like to see a better peep sight design. You should be able to see your green fiber optic dot way before you are able to see a deer. It should take very minimal light to illuminate that fiber. You might be able to go to your local sporting goods store and show them your front sights fiber optic and be able to buy and/or order a strand of fiber optics of the same diameter. You can heat it and shape it to your desire but you have to be very careful with the amount of heat you apply. Maybe have them install it the way you want it or find a good gunsmith that has that type of experience. Good luck
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
FlyingAce

Post by FlyingAce »

I have started a new job, so I have been pretty busy. I purchased this Alpha Cross from Ye Old Archery and finally was able to machine some holes in the base for mounting. Anyway, here is a picture of the sight:

I am not sure when, but I hope to put some bolts through her sometime next week or next weekend.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Mace

"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." Gen. George S. Patton

Flying Ace Enterprises Inc.
[url]http://www.flyingaceinc.com[/url]