deer hunting question -

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hikerman

deer hunting question -

Post by hikerman »

Hi, Iam new to hunting. I have an exocet bow. I hunted in a tree stand last year, it was made out of wood about 12' high, no luck. I know that deer are in this erea. I have seen plenty of tracks and the deer (when I didn't hunt this
erea but back tracked through it at the end of the day.)
Has anyone used the ground blinds that are carbon lined?
Last edited by hikerman on Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Ohhh you opened up the carbon "can of worms" :lol: . There have been many discussions on here about the carbon scent lock stuff, or should I say S*@T. Most important thing about hunting critters with a nose is to play the wind. Get down wind and they can step on you before they know you're there.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
diesel

Post by diesel »

Well said ecoaster. One thing my brother would say when I would ask where he was hunting in the morning. ( I don't know ? witch way is the wind blowing. )
hikerman

Re: deer hunting question -

Post by hikerman »

hikerman wrote:Hi, Iam new to hunting. I have an exocet bow. I hunted in a tree stand last year, it was made out of wood about 12' high, no luck. I know that deer are in this erea. I have seen plenty of tracks and the deer (when I didn't hunt this
erea but back tracked through it at the end of the day.)
Has anyone used the ground blinds that are carbon lined?
Thanks
How high would you put a tree stand?
diesel

Post by diesel »

I like to be up about 20 feet. It aways helps if there is some wing to mix and spread your sent away.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

camo is a must in a tree stand?
TYE

Post by TYE »

Hello Hikerman :) Welcome to the site :D

You may want to try some deer calls, they might get you some more action. A bleat can or a grunt tube could be a start.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Hikerman, I'm going through the same thing. I've got a 12' ladder stand in white poplars, dam deer saw me almost everytime. I have another tree stand about 15-16 feet up in a spruce tree. The last time out a couple of days ago, the parade started at about 3 o'clock and ended just before dark. Not one deer busted me from up there.

Morale of the story, if you got cover around you like spruce bows and are up out of smelling distance of deer, your O.K. I remember Red Label saying that he's 20-25 feet up, now I see why. So my 12' ladder stand will be extended another 6 feet, and set back to at least 25-30 feet from the trail or bait. I'm also going to try a blind. It'll have the plushest chair mankind has ever seen, I'm going for comfort for all day stays.

Lots of guys on here use blinds, with good sucess, and have deer come right up close. Best part that I can see is they can be put up quickly, and deer aren't bothered by them, if there new to the area.

I'm interested in some feed back also.

Grey Owl
Alaspan

Blinds...

Post by Alaspan »

I hunker down behind a camo blind myself, and have done so for the past 2 seasons. It's small, and quick to setup. Oddly enough, the deer don't seem to pick up on it terribly. It's just a small ground blind but it sure minimizes the small movements we're prone to after a few hours.... Some problems that I've identified with it : scent ! they definitely pick up on that being so low to the ground at their level. I've gotta stop breaking wind :oops: , or wear some scent...(definitely.) Another problem is due to its size, i can't move very much, or stand up and stretch without being noticed and revealing position. They'll come about 25-30 yards away, but that's about the closest so far. Gotta learn to call them in the rest of the way I guess...

Both problems would be helped with a tree stand. Unfortunately, we're in alot fields, so the trees are few and far between, and visible from the road - can't leave a stand up.
hikerman

deer hunt - ground blinds

Post by hikerman »

Thanks for the feedback.
I just picked up some burning sent sticks, the package said to place one up wind to try to mask my sent,(if it works), and a grunt tube. I wil put my blind
near some apple trees. If I see some deer I know I am going in the right
direction. If not I may get a portable tree stand.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

[quote="diesel"]Well said ecoaster. One thing my brother would say when I would ask where he was hunting in the morning. ( I don't know ? witch way is the wind blowing. )[/quote

Thats how i plan my Hunt..Infact someplaces you cant decide until you get there because wind flows around things differently..It seems some places no matter what the predominate wind is doing it disagrees in that area and flows its own way..you just gotta learn em places.. :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

Movement is a no no when either in a low tree stand or groud blind with little cover. I have shot a 12 point buck in a 15 ft ladder stand and had the opportunity to take a good doe (she was with a fawn so I passed) with a ground blind (with the wind in the right direction).
Be patient and note the prevailing winds...no movement when a deer is in the area. This is crucial however it will come with experience.
I am new to this forum however I have hunted deer for years with an Exacalubir and would be pleased to share my findings and photos.
I harvested a 12 pt buck that was 178lbs dressed wieght 4 years ago and an 8 point buck that was 194 lbs dressed last year. Will post photos if interested.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Whether tree stand or ground blind always use the wind to carry your scent away from the area where the deer are likely to approach. Also use all the natural cover you can to eliminate outlining yourself. I like to use locations with light cover in front of me, and heavy cover behind. If cover is thin then set the tree stand higher if possible. A deer will be quick to spot movement in it peripheral vision. At 15' height I've been "busted" by a deer at 40 - 50yards, and unseen by deer at 15 - 20 yards.
wabi
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

You can't say enough about wind direction. Sometimes though you can't help but hunt a bad wind. Most of our stands are in the middle of swamps and though we prefer west wind we have got them with wind from every direction. Saying that always carry some cover scent even if it's to just spray in the air to see wind direction at all times. If you see it go out and up consider yourself lucky because that's where your scent is going.