Which Excalibur should I buy ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Wayne in Louisiana

Which Excalibur should I buy ?

Post by Wayne in Louisiana »

I am a very experienced compound bow hunter but have never shot a crossbow. I am considering buying an Exomag or an Exocet. I like as much speed and power as I can get but I worry that the Exomag may be too extreme i.e. trigger overstressed, or will I have to pay someone to cock it for me. LOL I may need to shoot through a 250# hog.

I am 5'-8" and 190 lbs with at least average strength but I am also 62 years old. I currently shoot 67# with My compound.

I will not have an opportunity to try before I buy. This will be a mail order purchase.

Any thoughts on this decision will be appreciated.
franklinm

Post by franklinm »

Excalibur 175 is enough to kill any hog you should find , if the shot is well placed . I am also short , you don`t more bow than you can pull .
Tom

Post by Tom »

Wayne the ExoMax is the fastest model by far made by Excalibur. The Exomag was discontinued but is still a great bow. Actually the Exomax is the Exomag with the forward pointed limbs. Any of the excal bows are more then enough power for deer and sould always ive you a complete pass through, unless you hit solid bone.

About the need of maybe needing help in cocking the bows, rope cocking aids, cockaroo made by excal or even other crossbow mfgs can help with this problem. My dad usually cocks his Exomag (185lb) by hand, he is 6ft and 74 yeears old, but now carries the rope cocker to help on the odd day.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Digger

Post by Digger »

I think you may find that the 175 lb pheonix may be your choice of xbow. At 310 fps your going to have pass thrus on any deer you shoot. All Excaliburs share the same features other than the length of the rail. With the Exocet, Emag (discontinued) or Exomax 225 lb xbow you'll just have further to go to find your bolts after you hit your deer.
Our member bj sells Excaliburs at a good price and ships to the US
You can send him a private message , hes #118 on the member list

Wayne Jones
Archery Plus
73 Madill Church Rd
Huntsville, ON
P1H 2J2
705-789-1208
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Wayne in Louisiana

Thanks for response so far........

Post by Wayne in Louisiana »

I see that I incorrectly stated Exomag rather than Exomax. In other words I am looking at current models on the Excalibur websight in 200# and 225#.
beginner

Post by beginner »

hello wayne . i have a vixen deluxe. it has 150lbs . i`m very impressed of the power . for me it`s enough because i won`t hunt . but even the vixen has enough power for hunting .
more power means more stress for the xbow . lot of people have dryfire her crossbow . i`m scared when i`m thinking about a dryfired exomax :shock: . o.k , you should never dryfire a crossbow . but it could happen . nobody is perfect !
maybe the 2004 exocet is something for you. it has the old riser . so the limbs aren`t foeward laned . the power stroke is a little bit longer . so it has the same power/fps like the new phoenix .

you should buy an old exocet or the new phoenix .

but i`m still learning about crossbow things . it could that i`m on the false way .

greetings form germany

have a nice week

beginner
TYE

Post by TYE »

beginner wrote:more power means more stress for the xbowr
He's right, an Exomax will eat up the strings if you shoot it alot...
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

Wayne

I have gotten complete passthrough on feral hogs up to 450 pounds with a 45 pound Pearson recurve and Pearson Dead Head broadheads.

The largest hog I ever took was in 1974. It was 592 pounds on a tobacco scale. it was a complete passthrough, into the ground. The bow was a 70 pound Sky recurve with my favoriet Dead head Broadhead.

The last hog I Killed was with a 60 pound PSE Bruin, 28 inch draw, 425 grain arrow, 4 blade Muzzy 100 grain. Complete passthrough.

I told you all of that so I can tell you this; my 150 pound Vixen with my 460 grain arrows and 4 blade 100 grain Muzzy heads is more powerful and more accurate than any other bow I have ever owned. If you have a 28 inch draw, it would take a 70 pound compound with an IBO speed of 315 fps to equal a Vixen. Obviously, any excalibur bow will do the job so you have the pleasure of getting the one you personally like :D
I never was as good as I used to be.
mfh

Post by mfh »

Having the Exomax...I am 6ft, 190lbs...33yrs and in good shape...and there is no way I can cock the Exomax without the cocking string. Tried it for the first week...thinking I was not going to let some bow get the best of me...and after a few nights in the hot tub soaking my back muscles...I gave up.

As for pass through...I think the others have adequately stated most if not all the current models will do well on pigs and deer...reason I chose the max was that I am in the military and will move at some point...which means I will likely be in a state that does not allow crossbows...which means I will sell my rig...and the max is the newest, and "most powerful"...which means nothing to me...but for resale many times does...

I honestly do not think you can go wrong with any Excalibur...they are all well made. Honestly...if I could have found one used when I was looking to buy...that would have drove what model I ende3d up with. But at the time...there was noting out there I thought worthy of my $$$ so I ended up buying new.