Gold Tip Lazer II

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wn

Gold Tip Lazer II

Post by wn »

I am new this year to crossbows. I just purchased some 20in Lazer II shafts. Since I have the equipment to fletch them myself i ordered raw shafts. Whey arrived with brass and aluminium front inserts. Which do I use? I am shooting an Exocet 200 with 100gr Thunderhead broadheads. I plan to fletch with 4 1/8in flex fletch vanes.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Depends on what you want, the aluminium front inserts will give you a lighter bolt and a little flatter shot. The Brass inserts will add weight to the front for more FOC, total arrow weight would be around 424gr for more hitting power.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

I'm betting you got brass front inserts and aluminum rear inserts! The aluminum rear inserts that came with my GT shafts have a hole and are threaded, but won't accept a screw in point...............
bj

Post by bj »

GonHuntin wrote: The aluminum rear inserts that came with my GT shafts have a hole and are threaded, but won't accept a screw in point...............
edited;
misread the post...

w.
wn

Post by wn »

I got 3 inserts a short aluminum insert for the rear end and a bag of brass inserts and aluminum inserts just like the brass.
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

First time I've heard of them shipped with both types of inserts! You should have enough arrow weight with either insert.......using the aluminum inserts will result in a lighter bolt which would be faster............
Digger

Post by Digger »

Here's how my brss inserts came.

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

Mine came with the same brass insert, but the aluminum inserts for the rear were longer than yours.......they are drilled and threaded with the same thread as a front insert but they aren't opened enough for a point to screw in flush......in other words, the insert will allow the point to screw in the length of the threads but the part of the point with no threads is too big to go in the hole.........
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd weigh all the components (shaft, vanes, rear insert, and front insert) and see what the total is. Either combination (brass or aluminum) should get you above minimum weight. I, personally, use feathers for fletching, so I need the brass inserts to get me above minimum. With the Exocet 200 you might appreciate the extra weight of the brass inserts for noise reduction.
wabi