Limb wedges???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GrandpaEddie

Post by GrandpaEddie »

"Happy New Year Everybody"

I myself, would never alter,change or install anything that does not belong to that item/product.
Nothing over rides "Safety", my main concern is not to get hurt and or injure anybody around me.
This is not just for any/all archery equipment, this goes for everything.
Factory warranty has nothing to do with my way of thinking.
I just want to live alittle longer and continue doing some fun shooting,
above ground, not under.
:D
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Bill T wrote:The riser is the single most expensive part on the bow to produce. It starts as an oversized extrusion and about 45 minutes on the CNC later it's a riser. Sorry guys about the price, but we gotta survive!
I would not keep that home made part on the xbow, I agree with you. I just like to tinker. I was in the military for 22 years and ran a business on the side, so now that I am retired I sort of get bored.

If a part like that was going to be fabricated properly it should be from aluminum, and it can not be just a wedge. It would need side rails or the limbs tend to get out of line. I may make one for fun, but don't worry I will not post how to do it. I am also afraid it might screw up the xbow, or goodness forbid hurt someone. Sorry if I stirred the pot.

I just switched out the forward riser on my son's vixen to my 2004 exomag. Wow, that does perk up an xbow. My boy is done hunting for the year so he does not mind.

I was set at 225 on my exomag's varizone for bolt speed. Now at 40 yards it shoots 2 inches high with it set on the max speed, which I guess is 350 or 355.

How much is the riser by the way?

Bill I also noticed my 90 degree riser off the exomag does not quite slide over the rail on the new vixen. Am I doing something wrong?

By the way Bill thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions. :)
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

shurite44 you sure you do not have that mixed up :?: Quote in part only"
"I also noticed my 90 degree riser off the exomag does not quite slide over the rail on the new vixen. Am I doing something wrong?"

I find just the opposite, the tilted riser will not fit over the older rails :?
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

GaryL wrote:shurite44 you sure you do not have that mixed up :?: Quote in part only"
"I also noticed my 90 degree riser off the exomag does not quite slide over the rail on the new vixen. Am I doing something wrong?"

I find just the opposite, the tilted riser will not fit over the older rails :?
No, but I know what you are talking about because I read that on the forum, that the F angle riser would not fit on the exomag. Well just the opposite with me. LOL.

My exomag riser is slightly smaller than the little rails on the inside bottom of the vixen's rail. And I mean just barely too small. The riser will set cockeyed on the rail. I was going to put it back on the vixen just so I would not misplace any parts.
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

I was the one who posted the original question and I never built any spacers for my bow......when I thought about it, it didn't make much sense to build the parts to make the bow faster so that the bolt was buried farther in the ground after passing through the deer! :D
XbowMisiu

Post by XbowMisiu »

There is 3.6 Deg. forward angle on the new riser (both sides)
Darz Bór!
PRB

Post by PRB »

You have got to be kidding me. You people dont realize just how strong those limbs are. After a solid clamp down mount on my Vixen I hooked my pickup truck to the string via the tail gate and when the tailgate dropped with my pull rope MAN THAT BABY FLEW :P :P
Just kidding...please dont try this at home :shock:
I too like mine the way it is but I admit that its fun to play around with different concepts. But when it comes to the stress on those limbs I guess there is a limit (safe) to everything.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

GonHuntin wrote:I was the one who posted the original question and I never built any spacers for my bow......when I thought about it, it didn't make much sense to build the parts to make the bow faster so that the bolt was buried farther in the ground after passing through the deer! :D
I think the advantages prior to the bolt hitting the deer is why people want a faster xbow. Less wind effect and less drop. No one really cares about what happens after the bolt passes through, as long as you can still find it.
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

WHOOPS! I WILL LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE.SAFETY FIRST I DONT WANT A LIMB WRAPPED AROUND MY HEAD I GUESS I GOT CAUGHT UP IN ALL THE MODIFICATIONS APPEARING ON THE FORUM LATELY.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Well I was gonna stay away from this one, however if made proper the spacers are a good and safe thing on any of the Excalibur xbows up to the 200LB model.

By this I mean the MagTip limb models from the PointBlanc with MagTip limbs, to the Exocet 175LB with MagTip limbs. I would never use them on a 200LB model or none of the newer tilted limb models nor on any carved tip limb models as the string would have the tendency too slip off.

If made too fit proper and put on proper they are fine and safe. The only Excalibur at THIS TIME I have a set on is my Point Blanc with Magtip Limbs and a FFF string.

This made it a 115-120LB xbow shooting at 285FPS same as a Vixen, and I took my 8pt buck with it using a 16" lazerII with a 100gr slicktrick, and 4" feathers. Plan on going to a 18" arrow for better flight at slightly longer distance. I also think I need the 18" arrow for better FOC as the 16" are only about 10-11% not so hot as I like more FOC. The arrow did bury length wise from front shoulder to rear hip leaving a very poor blood trail as the arrow helped stop blood flow from the wound.

As Bill T. stated this would void any warranty and it should as it is not part of the EXCALIBUR xbow made by Excalibur. The smart thing on this matter of spacers is if you don't feel right/safe by no means use such a item/spacer.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

shurite44 wrote:
I think the advantages prior to the bolt hitting the deer is why people want a faster xbow. Less wind effect and less drop. No one really cares about what happens after the bolt passes through, as long as you can still find it.

WOW.....why didn't I think of that????
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

I agree with you Gary......a properly made wedge that duplicates the forward rake of the new riser creates the same forces as those on the limbs of the new bow......no difference at all......if the new risers are safe.....then a properly made wedge would also be perfectly safe to use. Same with limb spacers......if you build a spacer that increases the draw length the by same amount as the longer rail does.....then the forces acting on the limbs are also the same......since the limbs are the same.....there would be no safety issue with properly made parts.

Excalibur could easily build these wedges and/or spacers inexpensively and offer them as an accessory.......but that would cut into their new bow sales, so you can't really blame them for not doing it!

An outside company could do the same thing and, even though it would technically void the Excalibur warranty.....realistically, it would be unenforceable if the user removed the wedges before sending the bow back for warranty....... I'm not suggesting that it's the *right* thing to do, and I'm not encouraging anybody to do it, but it's done all the time in the automotive industry.......

I didn't build the wedges because I decided I didn't really need a faster bow for the hunting I do.........I had no trouble killing deer with my carved limb Exocet.......my newer Exocet is about 30 feet per second faster than the old one........sure, an Exomag would be faster than my Exocet.......but, in my case, the additional speed really isn't worth the trade-offs........
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I don't know why folks are so captivated by the need for speed. In the past, I've owned both a Phoenix and ExoMax, in doing so, I came to realize for various reasons that I prefer the straight risers. That is why I now only own an Exomag 200 and an Exocet 175.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

ComfyBear wrote:I don't know why folks are so captivated by the need for speed. In the past, I've owned both a Phoenix and ExoMax, in doing so, I came to realize for various reasons that I prefer the straight risers. That is why I now only own an Exomag 200 and an Exocet 175.
ComfyBear the spacers are for straight risers only with magtip limbs, and should only be used with 185LB Excals and under.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Gary, I'm absolutely happy with my "stock" Exomag 200 and Exocet 175. Both are just the ticket for what I use them for. The Exomag for hunting, knocks them dead, and the Exocet 175 with Mark's Thumbhole stock for 3D, is a "sweet shooting machine". I can't think of any way to improve either of them, besides equipping them with my custom strings that is. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.