Limb wedges???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Yes sir your strings like Marks custom stocks set them off, However I am one that likes to well sorta play a round with mmmmm try to make it well faster just to have faster :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink:

My ExoMag 200 is my baby, I do nothing to this one other then your custom super FFF string. However I do have a couple that I well try different things with. You know how it is when boredom sets in!! :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Yep I know Gary, I've own a few Excaliburs of my own, of course not as many as you, I could never own that many, at least not at one time. :wink: , but like you, my ExoMag 200 is also my baby, and my Exocet 175 is its twin. I would never abuse any of them. :lol: That's why to date, I've never had the opportunity to try Bill T. exceptional warranty, and hope I never have to.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

GonHuntin wrote:
shurite44 wrote:
I think the advantages prior to the bolt hitting the deer is why people want a faster xbow. Less wind effect and less drop. No one really cares about what happens after the bolt passes through, as long as you can still find it.

WOW.....why didn't I think of that????
I am not sure why you did not. I hear people come up with that little quote all the time, about how far it sticks in the ground after a pass through.

Obviously it is a little stab at people who like fast bows. So I always stab back just a little, especially since the people who use the quote are probably shooting 280 fps + xbows already, LOL.

Like was said in another post, or something similar, from a caveman with a stick and string and wooden arrow tipped with a rock this makes sense. Not from someone that is already shooting a modern xbow.

Anyway I thought it was an interesting thread, reminds me of my other favorite forum, corvetteforum.com. Two groups there too, the guys who like to stay stock for warranty and the guys who mod their vettes for higher performance, neither is right or wrong, just a decision they made on what they want.

I moded my 60K sports car so I do not worry much about a 3 hundred dollar xbow. With that said my exomag is only moded with an authorized excal part, but it is a forward riser of an 06 vixen. But I can duplicate the results with a homemade wedge that costs around 3 dollars, I know this because I have done it. No loss of accuracy, as far as stress I do not know, I did not shoot it enough to test the stress on the xbow. Logic would tell me it is similar stresses as the forward riser, but I do not know this and I agree with Gary L and Bill, don't try this at home. LOL, I did it because I like to tinker.

I would assume this still would void the warranty, but I don't really care, to be honest I don't even know what the warranty is on an excal.

I have jumped out of airplanes and flown aircraft into war zones, so the danger of firing a xbow in my back yard does not seem to effect me much, maybe I just have a death wish, LOL. That is what my family has been telling me for 30 years, LOL.

So anyway good thread, thanks for starting it. :)
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

shurite......in case you missed it.....I was being sarcastic! :D

Of course the only reason to increase the speed via limb wedges, spacers, longer rail, updated riser or whatever is to flatten the trajectory and lessen the effects of wind.......I started the thread because I had just bought a new Exocet a month or so before the new risers came out and I was disappointed not to have the latest model which was just a bit faster....Bill qouted me a price of $125 for the new riser........that's when the idea of limb wedges hit me......after thinking it through, I decided it wasn't worth it for 10-15 fps or so....I could get that much increase by going to a lighter bolt than I was using........I sure wasn't worried about warranty or safety issues like some guys are......I still remember *some* of my engineering classes relating to forces and stress........ :D The limbs are made to withstand a certain amount of stress......and they don't know if the increase in draw length is due to a longer factory rail or spacers that duplicate the increase in length.......or a new angled riser or shims that duplicate the new angle.....it ain't rocket science....of course, you already know that! :D
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

GonHuntin wrote:shurite......in case you missed it.....I was being sarcastic! :D

:D
Me too, :D

It is a good thread though, even though you changed your mind. I actually agree with you, probably not worth the effort.

I am retired from the military though(read bored), and I tend to tinker with performance on anything I own. My vette is running nearly a full second faster in the qtr mile than stock, LOL. You have no idea how much pleasure that fact brings me when I drag race

The comment on pass through's always strikes me wrong for some reason. Pet peeve I guess.

So I assume your excocet is 185 draw?? Just a caveat, if you ever do buy a forward riser make sure it will fit on the xbow. There seems to be a little difference between some of the models and fitment.

I try different things, I wish I had a chrono, I may get one at some point. Right now I sort of estimate bolt speed increase or decrease by shooting with my varizone off of a lock down type tripod. But it seems to be accurate relative to change in bolt speed. I can detect the change in drop on a simple string change or brace height. Just a simple string change, reduce brace height, and some silicone on the bolts and rail can give you 20 fps at least, maybe just a tad more. If I did not experiment a little I would not have discovered this.

But probably the most important thing I have gotten from my experiments is I shoot the heck of my xbow, making me a better shooter. Now I just need to be a better hunter. And I am working my butt off to get better at hunting also.

But I realize most really could care less about 20 fps, but like I said I am a tinkerer, LOL.
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

You can probably appreciate these.......

'67 mustang fastback street/strip, 351 cleveland, 4 speed, 4.11 gear 12.90ET I did everything except the machine work on the motor.....

'84 ford ranger street sleeper, '84 5.0 High Output, 5 speed trans.... fabricated my own mounts....built my own wiring harness....and built the motor.....bought a hydraulic clutch kit, radiator and remote oil filter kit.....designed and built everything else on my own.

'69 Firebird funnycar professionally raced by the Jokerst Brothers out of St Louis.......I found the car in a warehouse and purchased it......never did run it and later sold it to a collector in PA.

'66 Bronco, 74,000 actual miles, I built the motor, stripped and camo'ed with urethane primer so I could block sand and repaint if/when I got tired of the camo......still have this one.....it's still camo.....may be for sale soon.

'68 Camaro, bought it in high school.....327, 4 speed, factory air.....still have it!

Then there are the boats and firearms......OK, I'll stop now......I think you can see that I enjoy "tinkering" too! :D
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Nice cars, love that 68 Camaro. Where do you race? I race at Norwalk and Dragway 42 in Ohio. Mansfield, Ohio is building a track scheduled to open next year also. I live in the center (10-20 miles) of three nice qtr mile tracks, LOL, heaven. I am looking forward to seeing the new Camaro.

Well I am not a mechanic, if I had a lift I would try more stuff. My cousin is a good mechanic and I help him on stuff so I learn and he assists me when I need help. We are building a 350 Chevy engine for his deuce this winter, I am suppose to help him but he is taking his time getting started.

I was out messing around all day with my exomag again. I took the forward riser off from the vixen and switched it back. I started to feel guilty about scavaging parts of my son's xbow, :lol: . So I am back to stock again on the exomag. I think I am going to order a new riser, I liked how it fired with the extra zing.
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

Use to run in Tulsa, OK......never seriously.....just to see how well the car would do.......gave it up years ago.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I am no pro, just race in the stock class. I usually race on a week night, to crowded for me on weekends.

I think I am going to call Dan Miller about a forward riser tonight, late Christmas gift for myself, LOL.

:)

Cool african safari truck by the way.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

ComfyBear wrote:I don't know why folks are so captivated by the need for speed.
if everyone thought the same then the world would be a very boring place :wink:
Leonard Hawkins

Post by Leonard Hawkins »

BAIT PILE WILLIE you have a PM
mikej

Post by mikej »

wow i wondered how i missed this one , but now i see its from 05 anyways welcome to the forum
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

First, let me say welcome Lightfoot.

Second, let me say that is a very interesting first post. That thread is from 2007 and I hope you have not been here for two years without introducing yourself. :D
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mike P wrote:I hope you have not been here for two years without introducing yourself. :D
No doubt! That would be one serious case of lurking! :shock: :D

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, LIGHTFOOT! :D :D
Grizz