Limb wedges???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Digger

Post by Digger »

If Dan thinks it will work and informs Bill T what he's doing. I'm sure it would be all right, but Bill T said to me at the Open House in June of 2003 to give the stock and scope to Dan to do the work.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
BUCKSHOT

Hey!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Excuse me for jumping in on this!
I think that if you were to create a wedge that was thick enough on the heavy end to match an angled riser, that you would run into a bit more work than you may expect!
For one thing the 5/16-18 t.p.i flathead bolt which holds the limb down, would not have 100 percent contact all around the countersunk hole in the limb, unless you re-countersink that hole on the new angle and in line with the threaded hole! If you don't do that you could put extreme pressure on the limb at that mounting position!
Also because the limb will no longer be parallel to the riser, you will need to enlarge the holes on your hold down plates slightly and make an angled wedge for each old down plate, which will compensate for the angle, hold down the limb and keep the bolts perpendicular to the riser when they are tight!

Trust me, you would be further ahead to either purchase or build yourself a set of flat spacers, machined with the same seat profile as the riser, and push the limbs straight out from the riser!
This works well, and a spacer with approximately .750 under the limb will increase the velocity of a Vixen from approximately 281 fps to 307 fps, with no ill effects on accuracy.
The spacers I made are designed to imitate the riser seat profile and they capture the limbs safely with a nice snug fit!
These flat spacers will also work on an angled riser!
The thing is, that you are not changing the relationship between limb and riser as far as being parallel and perpendicular go, you are simply increasing your draw length!
I've had a set on my bow for a long long time, and I love the advantages created through having them!
Also I believe that beyond the Phoenix, the angled riser is not all that it is cracked up to be! No offense to anyone, it is just that I have seen and heard of so many ill effects, that I believe the older model big guns with the straight risers, would be my prefference in model selection if I were to buy, or assemble a larger bow than my Vixocet!
Enjoy the Harvest!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Buckshot,
From your post I take it you have installed a set of .750 spacers between your riser & limbs. Do you still use the same brace height mark on the riser, or do you increase the power stroke as well by moving the brace height 3/4" forward?
wabi
BUCKSHOT

Hey Mike!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Hello Mike!
Sorry it has taken so long to respond to your question!
Personally when I first installed the spacers, I thought that all things being equal, I should increase the brace height toward the riser, a similar amount. I tried that, with the aid of a friend and found that the string was slapping against the riser!
With advice from the same fella, we tried the brace height at 1/2 of the spacer height, which would be approx. 3/8" below the scribe line!
In this position the string did not hit the riser!
Once the brace height was set and everything was in good order, we took our speed readings through the chrony!
We achieved the speed of 307 fps while the string was set at that brace height, and that is the height I maintain, while using the spacer kit!
Enjoy the Harvest!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I my self allowed for the distance of the spacers to set my brace height, super shooter it is and a lot quiter.... :D :twisted: Would never dream of using them on a tilted riser.... :roll:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I believe BJ has built and tested a riser kit. Anyone interested should contact him for further info.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I fabricated a wedge and it works fine with the existing hardware. I think the rubber I used to coat it took care of alignment problems.

I don't have a chrono but it is the exact same angle as the angles riser.

I know this is an old thread but I was searching for info on this since I was making one myself.

I don't think I should post how I did it due to liability type issues. Sorry, I just don't want someone blaming me for screwing up their xbow.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Woodsman wrote:I forget who on here, but someone has done this. I wouldn't do it on the new angled risers though...especially on the Exomax. That xbow is already under quite a bit of strain!
I'm the one who compared the older and newer risers. From my measurements, the newer risers angle the limbs forward so that the limb tips are approx. an extra one inch forward when compared with an Excalibur equipped with the older riser.

In other words, by pre-bending the limbs that extra inch, it's similar to adding an extra inch to the powerstroke by extending the rail/mainframe.

That's why a Phoenix with a 14.5" rail, has the same speed and energy as an Exocet 175, which has a 15.5" rail and a perpendicular riser.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I disagree with a minor point. The reason the xbow is shooting harder is due to the increased draw weight, not power stroke. The the length of power stroke stays the same. I do agree it does the same thing, increase bolt speed. :)
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

my nephew is a tool and die makerI will speak to him about making a pair of al. wedges they have to be exact same size. I give him half a deer every xmas so it should not be a problem i would not worry about warranty.
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

Hang on there guys! First, using wedges might increase power, but it will also increase strain on the whole system and since we can't control the amount of extra load we wouldn't want to warrant damage. Second, the load at the riser is through the roof, and plastic would not likely survive this. Bottom line, fool around if you want, but we can't be responsible for any safety or reliability issues that happen so beware.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

No doubt this puts extra strain on the xbow. I also think the plastic will eventually break down. I really can not use them anyway because of Ohio's 200 pound limit. But if I go moose or hog hunting somewhere it would be nice to have the extra kick.

Maybe Bill T should have a big sale on forward risers so we all can upgrade our xbows. :D

How about it Bill, risers for fifty bucks??
Normous

Post by Normous »

I'm not suggesting to anyone to do this but I extended my riser 1" with a home made drilled and tapped aluminum riser spacer on my older 1991 carved tip Exocet. First I upgraded to the Mag tip limbs and got rid of the older cast riser. After that, I machined some angled limb spacers that fit into the limb grove, again out of aluminum and drilled it to fit between the riser/limb and bolt, both shims are identical.
So far I have put over 500 shots safely through this set up. Gold tips pass through the chrono now at 318fps.
At the time I could not purchase the newer angled risers from Bill so I modified it myself. So far I'm pleased, but if something goes wrong its my fault, I accept it. I then purshased the Max for my wife.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

The riser is the single most expensive part on the bow to produce. It starts as an oversized extrusion and about 45 minutes on the CNC later it's a riser. Sorry guys about the price, but we gotta survive!
GrandpaEddie

Post by GrandpaEddie »

"Happy New Year Everybody"

I myself, would never alter,change or install anything that does not belong to that item/product.
Nothing over rides "Safety", my main concern is not to get hurt and or injure anybody around me.
This is not just for any/all archery equipment, this goes for everything.
Factory warranty has nothing to do with my way of thinking.
I just want to live alittle longer and continue doing some fun shooting,
above ground, not under.
:D