Limb wedges???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GonHuntin

Limb wedges???

Post by GonHuntin »

Been thinking about this.......

The new Excalibur risers slightly angle the limbs forward to improve performance.......just wondering if anyone is/has built a set of wedges to do the same thing to the older risers??? Doesn't look like it would be difficult to do and they could be made from delrin or some other type of dense, tough plastic........they would fit between the limb and riser and could be thin enough to not even require a different limb bolt.
GaryL

Re: Limb wedges???

Post by GaryL »

GonHuntin wrote:Been thinking about this.......

The new Excalibur risers slightly angle the limbs forward to improve performance.......just wondering if anyone is/has built a set of wedges to do the same thing to the older risers??? Doesn't look like it would be difficult to do and they could be made from delrin or some other type of dense, tough plastic........they would fit between the limb and riser and could be thin enough to not even require a different limb bolt.
Cost would be a factor, of course if you are good at that type of thing go fer it and let us know. I would be interested fer sure.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ch312

Post by ch312 »

it would be very simple to try this out. all you need is 2 thin hard plastic wedges. some of us likely have something laying around the house that would work perfectly.

im just wondering how much the limbs could actually be bent before they break?

hell, why should i even be thinkin of doin this i have an exomax :lol:
Digger

Post by Digger »

The limbs on my Vixen are the sameas the limbs on an Emax, they shouldn't break. But what will your warranty be worth if the factory realizes whats been done. I've had warrany work done on a 17 year old Wolverine gratis, I'd get a new riser first.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

I don't think the wedges would work. Wouldn't they want to slide out from underneath the limb as you tightened the limb bolt? You would then need to angel the hole in the limb to keep things inline with the existing riser hole.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've had the same idea and don't see why it wouldn't work. You could make them very thin at the limb bolt and the bolt itself would keep them in place. If made to duplicate the pitch added to the new risers they should be no more stressful to the limbs than the new model already is. They could even be reversed to make the new riser less poundage - eg. convert an Exomax to duplicate Exomag performance for someone who wants to target shoot more.
wabi
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

Digger

What is the difference between angling the limbs forward with wedges or with machining of the riser......the result is the same.....I asked about buying the new riser and was quoted $125 for just the machined part.....a set of wedges that angle the limbs forward the same amount as the new riser does would put no additional stress on the limbs.

Doxnut

The wedge would have a hole for the limb bolt to go through and would keep the wedge from sliding out........and there is already a bracket to prevent the limbs from moving sideways......

Look at your bows, there are already plastic pieces between the limbs and the riser........I'm just suggesting making a replacement piece that is thicker toward the tip end of the limbs.......and we aren't talking much difference, just enough to angle the limbs forward a few degrees to match the forward angle of the new risers. Those of you with both an old and new model........look at the front of the riser where the limbs bolt on and tell us how much the new riser angles the limbs forward..........
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

I forget who on here, but someone has done this. I wouldn't do it on the new angled risers though...especially on the Exomax. That xbow is already under quite a bit of strain!
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Digger

Post by Digger »

GonHuntin, to begin with its not an authorized Excal part and I dont think the factory would approve a warranty for some unauthorized devise to extend the power draw on your xbow that may boost the power by 10 lbs or 40 lbs. I have 4 Vixens that would become Pheonixs for $125, that would be exceptable to me.
If you call Excalibur and they say that its OK I would certainly try it out.
1-800-463-1817
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

Digger

I understand your concern.......I'm not worried about the warranty implications because, if I did it, I wouldn't expect Excalibur to warranty something that was damaged though the use of an expermental part. I'm funny that way......I believe in personal responsibility.....

That being said.......just what is an "authorized" part??? Are the strings BJ makes and sells "authorized parts"??? Are the bolts gold tip or easton makes "authorized parts" if they don't have the Excalibur logo on the box??? How about swapping rails to increase draw weight.....is that "authorized"??

This thread was just a subject for discussion.......I am satisfied with the performance of my "stock" Excalibur crossbows.......once the bolt exits a deer, any velocity/energy remaining is wasted!! :D
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

Digger

Just wanted to bring this to the top and say that the
GonHuntin wrote: That being said.......just what is an "authorized" part??? Are the strings BJ makes and sells "authorized parts"??? Are the bolts gold tip or easton makes "authorized parts" if they don't have the Excalibur logo on the box??? How about swapping rails to increase draw weight.....is that "authorized"??

part of my post was meant to be tongue in cheek....just good fun....but I realized after I read it again that it might not have come across to you that way.......didn't mean to offend you and I apologize if I did!
Digger

Post by Digger »

Thats OK, GonHuntin, strings aren't under warranty anyway, I forgot to put a smilie at the end of my post too. :D :D :D
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

Hey.....your "acu-draw" conversion is not authorized and probably voids the warranty too! :D
Digger

Post by Digger »

Sorry again, Gonhuntin, but that was done by Dan Miller and shipped to me by Bill T with the factory warranty. :cry: :( :)
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »