hunter orange

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

beaglelvr

hunter orange

Post by beaglelvr »

Got a warning yesterday for not having hunter orange on.Idid not no that you needed it for bow hunting,because of the ongoing moose season in wmu 36.however the c.o told me i had to wear it even in my treestand,is this true?
Digger

Post by Digger »

During gun season for deer and moose, all hunters must wear a floresent orange vest/coat and hat.
During open season for bear all bear hunters must wear floresent orange except when in a treestand, Floresent orange camo is not allowed.
Regulations do not apply to waterfowl hunters.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
beaglelvr

Post by beaglelvr »

I believe that natives are exempt from that law also.
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

Why would they not have to wear it. Is it not for safety reasons? That has nothing to do with "so called" hunting rights. That being said I have never seen a native wear it but I have seen them shoot eagles to see if their rifle was on. I have also seen many preg. moose shot I have seen bears shot for fun and not eaten I have seen seals shot and left to root because they were to lazy to cut it up. I have seen these caretakers of mother earth leave trash every hunting camp we were at. I lived and worked on First Nation reserves for 8 years and strongly believe that it is high time that people become people and follow the same rules. How can we put a stop to hard feelings between races until we are treated the same? I have to add that two of my best friends are First Nation and they agree. Like all people there are some good ones but the rest seem to over shadow the good. Our goverment needs to get some balls and make some changes. Opps! did I say our goverment should get some balls? :lol: :lol: Maybe I should say crossbows are like guns and big buck are easy to get! That is more likely to come true eh.
beaglelvr

Post by beaglelvr »

i agree with every word you wrote.When i told the c.o that if i was native (and i am not)i would not need it she just looked at me dumbfounded.I believe that they put mandatory hunter orange into effect just so they can spot hunters more easily,so they can try to find something to fine us for.
BUCKSHOT

Humm!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I think the c.o would know the law!
So you guys are prejudice against Native Hunters and Duck Hunters?
Or just against hunters whom are exempt from the law?

That's what we need as hunters would be some good old dissention amongst the ranks!
Way to go Fellas'!

I am not trying to be Mr. Righteous, but I believe that in Ontario, many organizations which are represented by Hunters as well as many individual Hunters can participate in the law making process! And the views of these groups are weighed heavily in decision making!

As with any safety, our comfort levels are always effected in some manner, but the rules are in place for our protection whether we like it or not!
Enjoy the Harvest!
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Natives hunt in remote regions and in times/places when others aren't in the woods. Our rifle deer seasons look like an invasion of orange vested soldiers! I'd hope you wouldn't want to get shot by a rifle hunter taking you for a bear up a tree!

Although I do not condone "shooting eagles" and other stupid practices, good luck with making them follow our laws. It'll never happen.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

BUCKSHOT
First I wrote back with one of my what the $uc# is wrong with you, and glad to see you have your head up your ass. But then I thought about what a few of the more enlightened members on this board have said about useing honey to catch bees so here it goes. With a smile on my face and love in my heart I ask you to please tell us about all the in put the common hunter has in the law making process. Please tell us how we all got togather and voted YES to gun reg. Please tell us how we were able to use our voice to say YES to the spring bear hunt being canned. Please tell us how we are able to say YES to First Nation people having no limits, no seasons, I asked a inuit man yesterday how many of the seal that they shoot do they recover. He said 1 in 4 the rest go back down the air hole and are never seen agian. I asked him what kind of gun does he use to hunt caribou. He said a 22 long rifle but that they don,t exspect to recover all of them just the ones that get hit in the heart. Now tell us how we the common hunter agree with this practise. Please tell us how we were able to say YES to the band on high fence hunting. NO I am not prejudice against Native Hunters and Duck Hunters. And YES I am against hunters whom are exempt from the law. I am waiting for your responce with a open mind and willing to learn.
Tigerpaw
beaglelvr

Post by beaglelvr »

woodsman,the natives that i see hunting near my moose camp,do not hunt in remote areas,they hunt on the roads out of there trucks,and in moose management areas closed to rifle hunters.Isnt it wierd that i hunt with a bow and arrows and indians are hunting with high powered rifles from there four wheel drive vehicles,whats wrong with that picture!
butch

Post by butch »

I agree if they are allowed to hunt without limit or season they should hunt with recurve off the back of a horse. Butch
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Here's my two cents....

I'm Metis. I buy my hunting and fishing licences, abide by the "laws", only shoot what I'm going to eat, and pick up garbage I see in the woods (not leave it).

Sure there are bad apples in every bunch, but sterotyping based on isolated cases is racisms!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so here's mine. I don't agree with killing animals for sport alone, or using substandard equipment for the job.

As far as the finger pointing when it comes to egales, moose, cariibou, seals or whatever, how many of you fellas have shot coyotes, wolves, groundhogs, squirrels, or crows and had them grace your table for dinner??? Don't be so quick to point the finger. Like I said, everyone is entitled to an opinon and this is mine. I do not kill anything I'm not going to eat.

butch, maybe you should be hunting with a musket. I don't think you would agree to your own statement. There's things called evolution and technology.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

ecoaster I am glad to hear that you are a upstanding and good person. Be proud of that fact and stick with it. Being a "White" blooded Native is a whole other subject that I would rather not get into. I only wish that I could say that I am sterotyping based on isolated cases. Then at least I could be branded as a racist and the issues that I wrote about would be just that isolated cases. I moved to a northern First Nation community when I was 16 and have lived and worked with First Nation and Inuit peoples for 16 years now. I am not speaking from ignorance. My post to BUCKSHOT has alot more to do with our lack of imput on laws made about hunting then just Native issues ( I am still waiting there BUCKSHOT ) The eagle, preg. moose and bear shooters are my X - Brother in-laws and other First Nation folks that I work with. The Inuit seal and caribou hunters are my pts. Canada has a real problem when it comes to useing different rules for different folks. How can people not get their backs up when some are treated better then others? I am sorry but people like you that care about conservation ect. even though it may mean a change in their "Native rights" are hard to come by in most Native communitys. I agree with your statement that There's things called evolution and technology.If people what to embrace what they like ( rifles 4x4s ect.) then they should have to abide by the things they may not like that come with them (seasons and limits ect.)
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

On a bit lighter note the rut is starting to kick in and gun season starts in two days I hate to put down the MAX but am sure looking foward to the next couple weeks!!!
BUCKSHOT

Tigerpaw

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Hey Tigerpaw
You may think that I have my head up my a$$ and that is fine!
Firstly the comments that you made in your original post were very stereotypical! And to me they sounded racist. That is why I asked which group you were predjudice against!
You had a little better explanation in your second post!

There are times when the government makes laws which we disagree with there is no doubt about that! I.e the spring Bear hunt! That does not not mean that they had no consultation with Hunting Organizations and individuals through out Ontario!
Do you suppose that the Outfitters and other individuals did not plead there case agianst that law?
Do you know how many Outfitters and Hunter Rep. Groups fought the law and had taken the government to task over it?
You are correct in some cases the government does not look for public consultation and that is evident in the case of the Hunter Apprenticeship Program where the minimum age was set at 12 years, for a young Hunter to use a firearm!
You asked about all of the input of the common Hunter. Well there are many ways that the common Hunter has input that is evident in the Turkey Restoration Project. Many volunteers, including Hunters, participated in this project and the law making process through public consultation and participation in general!
This has been the case in many projects throughout the developement of our current law structure! Not all, but many!
As an individual you have the right to gain information about future laws and the ability to fight for or against them in many cases!
If you choose to fight against them you can be represented in Legislature by the Ontario Ombudsman!
There are many partners to the MNR as you know who have a large membership of common Hunters! I could name them but there are quite a few and if you would like I will post a link for you!
The government works with these guys and listens to there input!

I could go on and on in defense of my comments in an effort to answer your questions, but rather than that, I would like to say that this whole thing started by the way your comments struck, in your original post!

I regret that you became so offended, and truthfully I agree that there are many things which should be different!
I agree totally that the law should be applicable evenly to all hunters across the board!
As individuals and as a group we can work to change things we disagree with! There are many ways that can done.
I hope this makes sense to you, the last thing I want to do is to fight with a fellow hunter, and I am trying to explain where I was coming from in my post!
I actually spent quite a while on the net, resourcing material about some of the things you mentioned, and came up with quite a list of examples which I could apply in my defense, but I don't think that is necessary as long you realize my point!

BTW I agree, let's get back to Hunting!
Enjoy the Harvest!
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

BUCKSHOT Point taken. Read my post to ecoaster and you will understand that my comments are not racist or stereotypical but come from having seen it happen first hand over and over for the past 16 years. I have to say out of all the input you seem to feel we have it has done us very, very little good on some very big issues.spring bear hunt, huntgun reg, high fence hunting, no limits, no seasons for not only the original Native and Inuit person but now a very large group of white blooded people ie. the Metis. I personaly feel that we as Canadians need to start being far more proactive get off our asses and do something about the lack of balls in our Lib. gov. It makes me sick how none gun owners, none hunters are making these dumb laws because they make the most noise. I would be more then happy to get togather with like minded people such as the Ottawa farmers did and come up with some lawful was of getting heard. Send me a pm if anyone is interested.

Best of luck in the woods I know there is a big guy out their with your name on him!! :D