slick tricks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Crunch

slick tricks

Post by Crunch »

I was wonderind if anyone use slick trick broadheads? If so how do they compare to wasps?

Thanks, crunch
Deer Dave

Post by Deer Dave »

I have used both...I have used Wasp 125 SST 3 blades for a long time (verticle bow) and they "NEVER" let me down.....I recently bought Slick Trick 1" 125 gr. bh's...they shoot like a field point, and are very well made, I have not harvested a deer with them, cause I still use the Wasps...BUT lots of guys here use them with great results...

The only difference I see is that the Slick's are MUCH smaller , thus the field point accuracy. And the 4 blade vs. my 3 blade.

I have no problem getting the big WASP 125 to fly like a field point also...I fletch with a strong offset and check all my bolts with a dial indicator arrow/ roller /straightner, and get my WASP BH alignment to the shaft to 1 thousand of an inch or less...that means a lot for accuracy...you cannot dial in the Slick Tricks on a dial ind, but you can spin them with good results! I also use the G-5 ASD for squaring the carbon ends and aluminum inserts..it works great!!!

You cannot go wrong with either head...I use them on my HOYT and my Parker Crossbow...I am a LITTLE partial to WASP SST!!!!!!!! 8)

Dave
Last edited by Deer Dave on Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Slick Tricks work great from a crossbow. Good flight, awsome wound channel, and tough! But my results with a longbow were not pretty! Good flight, great groups, but only about 2 or 3 inches of penetration on a perfect hit on a doe standing 7 or 8 yards from the tree my stand was in. Shooting SlickTricks, tapered carbon shafts, and a 47# longbow. I'm sure the doe was not fatally injured, no blood trail but an extensive search turned up nothing, and no exidence of a dead animal from the predators. I went back to cedar shafts (for weight & energy) and cut on contact broadheads for longbow hunting! Not sure what went wrong, I saw the hit - exactly where I wanted to put the arrow - and it just didn't penetrate! Almost like shooting small game with a steel blunt! Don't know why, but I know I'll never use them from the longbow again! And I never recovered the arrow. I got a friend to help, and we searched the area for hours the next day. No blood - no deer - no arrow! ??????? I'm now using 160 grain 2-blade broadheads on cedar shafts, and just waiting for a chance to test their penetration on a deer :wink: (tests on targets indicate much better penetration, and shots on game in the past with similar broadheads were good) Probably more the lack of weight for energy than broadhead design, but I'm not taking any chances!
wabi
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D SLICK TRICK'S are one of the best head's on the market today. fly great & leave a big hole!!! GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

Greywolf do you use slick tricks and if so do you use the standard 1" or the magnum 1-1/8" cutting diamiters
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D I use 100 grain . and have for 3 years now :D
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I have successfully used 125 Slick Tricks on elk two successive seasons. Each time there has been a complete pass through (chest shots).
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
big dog

Post by big dog »

I did alot of research prior to this hunting season,since it was the first time using a crossbow and with all the help I got from this sight I purchased 6 slick tricks from BJ and believe me they work-I am not discrediting any other brand but like I said these work,I have shot a 9 point buck and he didn't go eighty yards-leaving a great blood trail and a button buck that fell within sight, I do beleive shot placement is critical and no broadhead can make-up for that or having the animal within a reasonable range both of these deer were shot within 20-25 yards but the slicks do work and they fly true.
big dog
p.s. if I can get the pics posted I have a couple of shots of the button w/entry and exit wounds.
I finally met Mrs.right-only I didn't know her first name was alway's
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Livtahunt wrote:Greywolf do you use slick tricks and if so do you use the standard 1" or the magnum 1-1/8" cutting diamiters
I do not know what GreyWolf use's as far as cutting dia.., but can tell ya that intill either near the end of last year or the first of this year all you could get in 100gr & 125gr was 1 1/8" cutting Dia., which is what I use. The real difference in 1/8" more cutting dia. should not change anything flight wise with the slicktrick.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
speedball

Post by speedball »

Guys i used the slick 100 grain 1 1/8" this year on a tenpoint buck and it penetrated through to the opposite rib qaurtering too at 35 yards with a bowtech patriot set at 67 pounds with a arrow flying 268fps i was dissapointed with no exit hole that was until cutting him open to see a river if blood, he ran 80 yards and died in about 2 minutes, speedball......
gone huntin never to return................