scentloc or any other carbon clothing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

big dog

scentloc or any other carbon clothing

Post by big dog »

does anybody use this or believe it works,I have been busted several times and always try to watch wind directionsI try to keep everything uncontaminated,I use a cover scent and white lightning scent spray-any suggestions?
big dog
I finally met Mrs.right-only I didn't know her first name was alway's
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

BigDog youll find a mix of opinions here.. i for one think and this is just my opinion but I think its just a gimic..OK If they do work fine but to what degree? You will never be so scent free that a wise deer will not snife you out..The wind oh boy thats just the thrill of the chase..Seems the only reason we ever bag a biggin is cause he made a mistake! we got by them ears and entered our area undetected. We were still for hours as he was just an eye shot away, one little move and he would get up and go the other way and we would never know it..BUT he gets up and comes our way because we are still slow movin stealth machines :lol: anyway.BUT the NOSE dang the nose..That gets him outa trouble all the time it is the number one clue giver in my opinion..we might be able to be still and be quiet but there is nothing we can do about being a stinky animal..That deer was built to sniff predators out and he was given the best tools to do it. The best ears to hear it, and the best eyes to bust you when you move..SO no i dont use them Ive bought them studied them researched them and came up with ok they may work they may not but i know there is know way to stop stinkin in the woods..you may reduce it some but like i said ...That ole wise deer youll never see if you rely on those suits to much..you may fool some and I do think thier are some gomerPyle deer they do some stupid things that get them killed..AHGGGGGGGGGGGG dont you love it...thats huntin..play the wind my friend thats what a our forfathers did and they ate well..It will pay off for you soon..Keep the sun to your back and the wind in your face if it will cooperate.learn the thermals the lay of the land and how wind moves.. . how to use water and creek beds, a simple rain storm that will let you sneek in to your stand and cover your noise and scent :wink: during this time of year the bucks will freshen a scrape soon after a rain..thats a great tip for ya..and you may know all this and more but the suits I think your wasting your money....Take care and good luck to ya...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Deer Dave

Re: scentloc or any other carbon clothing

Post by Deer Dave »

big dog wrote:does anybody use this or believe it works,I have been busted several times and always try to watch wind directionsI try to keep everything uncontaminated,I use a cover scent and white lightning scent spray-any suggestions?
big dog

big dog...I wear both scent lok and scent blocker suits with great results....I have had monster bucks 25 yds downwind of me , and they had no clue that I was there.

you can try them for yourself, and you will be amazed of the scent control they offer...I have 3 different suits for all weather conditions...If they didn't work, I would have never purchased them again.......total scent control is more than the suit though....showering and using the dedorants, soaps, and sprays , like you mentioned all play a big part in your control....

I am considering the dream seasom fleece outfit by scent blocker...it has nice features

You cannot always play the wind...I have seen it swirl too many times and spoil a hunt....

Hope this helps

Dave
butch

Post by butch »

I too beleve in my scent lok suit. I got it in XXL to fit over my parka and snow pants. I to have had deerdown wind of me, some as close as 7 meters. Im not sure if they make scent lok gloves or mitts but that is something that I would buy. I really try to control all the human scent. I even use vegetanle oil on all they screws on my crossbow to keep them from rusting. Good luck this season. Butch
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

CYCLONE

Post by CYCLONE »

I believe it is a waste of time & money to go hunting without them if you want to get within or under 30 yards away on a consistant basis. I have been using for the last 2+ years and continue to be amazed or just unbelievably lucky I guess.
If you can't Dodge It, Ram IT
big dog

Post by big dog »

I read the link that Gonhuntin had sent and it makes alot of sense-would still like to hear some other opinions.
big dog
I finally met Mrs.right-only I didn't know her first name was alway's
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

I gotta' go along with GonHuntin on this..... that link was posted a while back and got some playing time..... if it seems to work for you "great"... 8) .... IMHO I think it's a gimmick..... I'll stick to playing the wind........

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... highlight=
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

big dog

No disrespect intended, but, if a detailed explanation from a scientist who works in the carbon filtration field (and isn't trying to sell you something!!) isn't enough to convince you that carbon suits are a waste of money.......then I guess you are the perfect customer for this type of product!! :D
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Do your homework in the area you are hunting and PLAY THE WIND! You would need to be in a bubble for them not to smell you.

Great way to scout an area is to either go for hikes in the spring/summer or take up turkey hunting. I found alot of old buck sign this spring while turkey hunting and I really beleive it helped in seeing bucks and bagging one.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Even if they do work, I don't have a dryer at the hunt camp to "clean" the suit and I know I pick up scent in my car, house, camp etc. Unless I bath outside and then dress in a freshly activated carbon suit outside I'm gonna have some scent on me.

I try to be as scent free as possible and then walk into the wind and pick a watch where my scent is moving in the direction where I least suspect deer to come from, ie an open field, a lake, roadway, etc.

Partikle
CYCLONE

Post by CYCLONE »

I have yet to read any of you nay sayers how pissed off you are on your wasted 100 US dollars you spent on your scent lock suites. Quite frankly I hope you never buy any and keep your heads in the sand from technology. It will leave more for us less scented hunters. The same BS you all are dishing out was most likely said by many about camoflage back in the 1930's.

One thing I have learned in my almost 40 years is believe nothing of what you hear, half of what you read and all of what you experience.
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

CYCLONE wrote:I have yet to read any of you nay sayers how pissed off you are on your wasted 100 US dollars you spent on your scent lock suites.
Could it possibly be because we were smart enough not to waste the $100 to begin with??? :D :D
gametrail

Post by gametrail »

Well here is my 2 scents[HAHA] :lol: worth. I have used it for as long as scentlok as been around. :wink: Myself i will not go with out it. :!: You still have to hunt smart but i think it gives you that added edge you need. I hope this will help you. gametrail
CYCLONE

Post by CYCLONE »

GonHuntin wrote:
CYCLONE wrote:I have yet to read any of you nay sayers how pissed off you are on your wasted 100 US dollars you spent on your scent lock suites.
Could it possibly be because we were smart enough not to waste the $100 to begin with??? :D :D

Based on first hand experience.........NO!