Mixed emotions buck.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

Mixed emotions buck.

Post by chris4570 »

I took some time off work to try and get in some hunting during the rut before the shotgun season. I had been set up at my particular spot since opening day. I had a couple of small bucks in range on the opener, but since nothing was close enough. But I had on many occasions heard deer moving around me on a trail about 40-50 yards behind my stand. The deer seemed to have me patterned.

They would hear me coming into my stand or on occasion probably winding me(I had been snorted at a couple of times). So I decided to move my stand to where they were travelling. But I would use the same path I had been using to get to my previous location for about 90% of the way. At that point, at about right angle to the path, I completely removed all branches and leaves for 50 yards to my new stand location. That way the deer that had me patterned would think that I had done the same thing(as I could get to the new stand silently).

I saw two or three deer the first day on the new stand. Including a forkhorn I grunted in to 7 yards. The same forkhorn I had at five yards opening day. I passed on the shot. For the rest of the days events see Ecoasters thread about his buck and mine about the a**hole hunters.

So the next morning I got into my stand nice and early. At sunrise I heard some turkeys fly down from their roost. The hens started sounding off. Then when the thunder rolled in the toms started gobbling :D .. A short while later I saw a buck cruising through the woods about 40 yards in front of my stand. I grunted at him. Didn't hear me, so I gave another quick four grunts. He stopped. I gave another quick three grunts and he came marching in. I saw he only had one antler but decided I would take him anyways.

He came in the same as the forkhorn the day previous and, when I grunted at him, he stopped in the same place. 7 yards. I pulled the trigger, saw the hole open up as the arrow passed through him and watched him run off. I could see he was getting weak after 30 yards of travel. At about 50 yards he fell over, got up momentarily and fell over for the last time. My quest for "Mr. Big"/"The Big One" came to an end. The deer I shot has four points on one side and a base on the other. No where near the one I had my hopes set on but one that offered a very humane, close killing shot.

The buck I had been chasing was kind of taking the fun out of hunting. I was becoming obsessed. If I didn't know of his existance I would have shot the forkhorn opening day. But at the same time when I look at the picture of him I wonder. I hope he makes it through till next year, when I will take up pursuit of him again. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy some tenderloin.

Thanks Ecoaster for helping out and taking some pics. I'll try and post them but if you get to it before me that would be appreciated :wink: !
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Congratulations Chris. I know what you mean about getting obsessed with the big ones. You did good. Meat in the freezer.
wabi

Post by wabi »

A big congratulations!!!! to you!
Sounds like you made a great shot.
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

congratulations!!!!
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Chris,

You have nothing to regret, this buck was a fine deer. A real tough scrapper. One antler broken off, the other one had two broken tines....... one tough deer buddy!

Enjoy those tenderloins and you can still head out after the shotgun season to play with that other buck. Maybe call him in and shoot him with a camera :wink: . Don't worry about him making through week, he's done it for a few years.

I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

fine looking buck, congrats
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Congrats Chris.
:wink:
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

Congrats Chris. Enjoy the tenderloins. :D
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Chris, are you only entitled to one tag per year? We can buy 7 additional doe tags in WMU 64 west of Ottawa.

I was in the same boat last year. We had spotted a big buck in the area and passed on all kinds of does and small bucks only to come up empty handed on December 31st. It was still fun having does and little bucks under our stands and putting the crosshairs on them.

This year we have additional doe tags for the freezer and we're still letting the little bucks pass because we saw 2 different bruisers in the area. Does for the freezer but I’m saving my 1 buck tag for one of the big boys. :wink:
(THE BLUE STAR)

Post by (THE BLUE STAR) »

Congrat`s Chris :D Frederick
Frederick.. The Blue Star
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

[quote="ecoaster"]Chris,

You have nothing to regret, this buck was a fine deer.
quote]

You are right! In fact there are many things I should be be happy about. My first xbow buck. My first time sitting in a treestand, and staying in it.( I think I'll be using a treestand alot more from now on.) Making a good shot. Some excellant eating. Cooking some more right now! Venison pasta. YUM YUM!!!

Ecoaster; Thanks for posting the pics(here and the Meat Pole) for me. By the time I got around to doing it it would be 2006 :D .

I also found my arrow this year. It was buried up to the fletchings in the ground with only the nock exposed above the leaf litter. I will save this as a keepsake in addition to the rack.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"It CAN Be Done!"
diesel

Post by diesel »

Chris Congrats on your kill. I'm sure it will eat better than the older bucks. I feel Does eat the best. AsI once read here. Those horns make poor soup.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Congrats on your one antlered buck, 4570... No reason for you to have mixed emotions about your buck as there's nothing wrong with that deer, even though he's missing an antler it'll still taste good...

Once again, Congrats to you!...

Your buck kinda reminds me of the first buck I harvested last year during the late season ...
Ontario Trophy Bucks
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Thanks Lonewolf!! The meat is great! I see the buck as a character buck. With his busted antler and tines. Also a character buck for me because even though a huge rack would be nice, I can be perfectly happy with a smaller buck and be proud of my accomplishments this season. His rack will go on the wall along with the arrow used to take him.

"It CAN Be Done!"