Calls

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hunter Dan

Calls

Post by Hunter Dan »

what kind of calls is better to call in the bucks and where can i find info on how to call deer. ( websites etc.)

p.s. what kind of calls are all of you using ?
TYE

Post by TYE »

Right now I have a Primos Bleat Can, and a Knight & Hale Grunter
Alaspan

Deer Call

Post by Alaspan »

I'm using a Remington Deer call. It sounds like a kazoo. Pretty brutal. I'm looking for a good grunt tube, and I'm going to toss this one. It's actually terrible. I can't even use it without laughing to myself.... :lol:
Deer Dave

Post by Deer Dave »

Lohman rattling antlers.....small compact...without the bag

Lohman grunt

Quaker boy can...doe in heat

All these calls are working great right now!!!

Good Luck!

Dave
Last edited by Deer Dave on Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digger

Post by Digger »

This is my call made by our member Wabi. He does beautiful work. You can send him a Private Mssage or go to his web site
http://home.earthlink.net/~wabi1/

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Hunter Dan

Post by Hunter Dan »

hey ty guys for the quick response :)

i found this site after i posted, worth a look at

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features ... grunt.html

http://www.bowsite.com/menu.cfm?State=Ontario
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I use a 5 in 1 Primos deer call. It has an adjustable o-ring to change the sound from an estrus doe to a dominant buck call. It's nice because it is small and can be used hands-free when you are lining up the cross hairs on a deer.

Here is a good link to a site which I used to figure out what deer are saying.

http://www.kerrlake.com/deer/sounds.htm
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Deer Dave

Post by Deer Dave »

ecoaster wrote:I use a 5 in 1 Primos deer call. It has an adjustable o-ring to change the sound from an estrus doe to a dominant buck call. It's nice because it is small and can be used hands-free when you are lining up the cross hairs on a deer.

Here is a good link to a site which I used to figure out what deer are saying.

http://www.kerrlake.com/deer/sounds.htm

Thanks for sharing! Cool Site!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

e-mail wabi forum member whom makes some super custom calls. Good prices.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
terry-1

calls

Post by terry-1 »

I agree take a look at wabi's custom calls. First, wood calls always sound more natural to me vs plastic. Second I started makeing a custom wood/antler few calls just for me and a few close friends because I would have to take apart every call I bought and do some custom work to make it sound right to my ear's. A custom call is normally made of wood or bone both sound great and second the maker of the custom call tunes the call for the best and most natural sound tones.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Hunter Dan,
If you look at my website it just shows predator calls now, but I'm still making deer calls. Working on a new body style I can turn quicker & sell for less. I've done a couple now, and they still have the same sound as the old ones, but the body is similar to the predator call shown. I'm hoping to be able to sell them for around $12.95 (USD) If you're interested in one send me a PM and let me know.
I'm experimenting with call #2 now. Gary L. owns call #1. I've got it to where it produces very good bleats & grunts....... now if I could just get the deer interested in giving me a shot with my new Phoenix 8)
wabi
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

I went to cabelas.com and got the mastering the art of deer calling pack. It comes with the hardwoods grunter and the original can and a instructional video to help get you started. I also cut the horns off a buck i shot and i use them as rattlers, put this all together and you will have a killer combination trust me
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

wabi wrote:Hunter Dan,
If you look at my website it just shows predator calls now, but I'm still making deer calls. Working on a new body style I can turn quicker & sell for less. I've done a couple now, and they still have the same sound as the old ones, but the body is similar to the predator call shown. I'm hoping to be able to sell them for around $12.95 (USD) If you're interested in one send me a PM and let me know.
I'm experimenting with call #2 now. Gary L. owns call #1. I've got it to where it produces very good bleats & grunts....... now if I could just get the deer interested in giving me a shot with my new Phoenix 8)
Hunter Dan, here is wabi's deer call #1 of his new one's.... :D Thanks wabi :D

Always learning!!
Home fer now!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I use a couple of calls. One is variable with the adjustable o-ring. It Is a bit on the big side and it's hard plastic body can be noisy when banged against the stock of your crossbow or a button on your clothers, etc.

The other one is called a soft-grunter. It works by inhaling vs blowing through, great for late season hunts as there will be no condensation for it to freeze up!! It is also small, about 2"inches long. It has a soft rubber coating so it is quiet, you can bite on it which will leave your hands free for shooting. I don't like my calls hanging from my neck, they can get caught up in the bow string, not something I would want to not notice when pulling the trigger.OUCH! But I found that when wearing glove-mitts I can leave the call in the mitt part, at my fingertips. Even when open the call stays in the mitt part without falling out.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"