Hunting niagara's conservation areas

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jonnyrotten

Hunting niagara's conservation areas

Post by jonnyrotten »

Has anyone hunted any of niagara's conservation areas. Willoughby, Humberstone, Wainlfeet, Long beach etc.... I have been researching the local spots. I am just wondering if they are high traffic areas for hunters? What about suburbia deer? Say some of the city parks that are set in a rural area along the escarpments of niagara. Technically the city owns the property, if the park has no hunting signs posted, and you are not discharging a firearm, you should then be allowed to hunt them correct? Obviously taking the publics interest and safety into fact. But I know of a park along the escarpment where you could set up a tree stand and have the good potential of seeing deer if not at least scoring one. Anyone have any comments? JR
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Can't help you there Jonnyrotten, never been there in my life. I'd start off by asking the locals.

Grey Owl
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Not really, city ordanances may simply not want hunting regardless of the weapon used. You could inquire with the city.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
alces

Post by alces »

I have only hunted in 1 of Niagara's Conservation Areas and yes it was a high traffic area for hunters as well as other people just out for a walk in the woods. I just hunted mornings on week days which worked well for keeping the amount of foot traffic to a minimum.

As far as hunting in city owned parks I think you will have to check with that particular city as most have By-Laws regarding discharging firearms. Most municipalities include Bow and Arrows and Crossbows as firearms.

Eric
jonnyrotten

conservation areas

Post by jonnyrotten »

I figured they were high traffic areas, just gonna have to go mon to fri like mentioned earlier. If a city doesnt include the actual wording of bows and crossbows into the firearm bylaw, then technically thats a loophole isn't it? just curious is all....JR
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

As alces said, many jurisidictions class bows/crossbows right along with guns as firearms. Do a search under Niagara city by-laws and you will probably find something there. Also some cities allow hunting in some parts but none in others.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

As alces said, many jurisidictions class bows/crossbows right along with guns as firearms. Do a search under Niagara city by-laws and you will probably find something there. Also some cities allow hunting in some parts but none in others.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
alces

Post by alces »

( If a city doesnt include the actual wording of bows and crossbows into the firearm bylaw, then technically thats a loophole isn't it? just curious is all....JR )

You maybe right on the loophole, but thats what we have judges for and you would be taking a big chance if the judge disagrees with you. I would check with the city first.

Eric