uv impregnated dyes in all 3d camo?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bluey

uv impregnated dyes in all 3d camo?

Post by bluey »

i recently bought some new camo. 3d realtree hardwood. i did a search to find how to wash away uv detergent (camo companies want the product to look good to you ,so they wash it in uv detergent, they dont care about the deer cause the deer dont buy them). i came across the link below. it says the uv is impregnated in the dye!! i emailed realtree a week ago and got NO RESPONSE to date. i thought they would be more professional than that. perhaps they are guilty?

http://www.atsko.com/T15.html
bluey

Post by bluey »

an amendment. the link is;

http://www.atsko.com/camoconspiracy.html

sorry. :oops:
bluey

Post by bluey »

is there no one here with an opinion of the possibility that camo is tainted?
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I just got some military spec camo fabric. I'm sure it doesn't have any uv enhancers. Buy some surplus clothing. Even drab-olive is effective. I've been close enough to several deer with this colour and believe they see it as grey, not unlike the bark on a tree.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
billert

Post by billert »

It's funny I posted this at a few forums and no one wants to touch it with a ten foot poll! Common guys your camo is garbage, you've been sold a hokey product!!! Let's raise a ruckuss. I think this is pretty important if you consider just about everything else hunting related.

http://home.adelphia.net/~geffert/deervis.htm

PHOTOPIGMENTS OF WHITE-TAILED DEER
Brian P. Murphy, Karl Miller, and R. Larry Marchinton, University of Georgia; Jess Deegan II, University of California; Jay Neitz, Medical College of Wisconsin; Gerald H. Jacobs, University of California.

Humans are very insensitive to wavelengths below 450 nanometers. For example, relative to other wavelengths, deer are about eight times more sensitive than humans to lights of wavelengths near 430-440 nm (such as those emitted by U-V brighteners). Garments can reflect (or emit) considerable light in this spectral band. Because of the deer's high relative sensitivity to short wavelength light, the presence of blue, violet and U-V components would make a garment stand out as both bright and colored against natural backgrounds. Those same components could be barely noticeable to humans." Dr. Jay Neitz
Where's the deer?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

billert too what good is it to raise a ruckuss. Thoses that like the LOOK'S of camo are still gonna buy it.

That is a very interesting article on how deer can see different colors compared to us humans.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
billert

Post by billert »

GaryL wrote:billert too what good is it to raise a ruckuss. Thoses that like the LOOK'S of camo are still gonna buy it.

That is a very interesting article on how deer can see different colors compared to us humans.... :D
True dat! But now that you know, will you look for UV free camo?
Where's the deer?
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Very interesting post bluey. I read this many years ago in a hunting magazine. I'll keep that in mind when I buy my next piece of camo clothing, since now I hunt with a Xbow.

Grey Owl
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

We all know about uv brighteners in laundry detergent and that we need to wash our clothes with uv brightener free soap. I'm not so sure if it's the case now that today's camo clothing have uv brighteners in them. Maybe in the past. If it would be true today, many brands would have jumped on the marketing band wagon saying that theirs is UV brightener free.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

well........I dont know what to think about the read.yea i do boring......I just know from experience that if im still and the wind is in my face I have had deer walk up to 6ft from me and then past me to then smell me and go crazy.SO They sure didnt see me glowin.......If thats what that article says im doin..anyway sounds like alot of talk , some good talk if you wanna no about that stuff..but I think if you stay in the shadows and play the wind and be still it dont matter.............
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I agree with The Man Called Hoss. (For you youngsters out there that's a play on words. There was a movie called A Man Called Horse.....)
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

billert wrote:
GaryL wrote:billert too what good is it to raise a ruckuss. Thoses that like the LOOK'S of camo are still gonna buy it.

True dat! But now that you know, will you look for UV free camo?
Truth is if I was into Camo and after reading your post and link, you betch'a I would be looking fer UV free camo :!: :twisted: :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
billert

Post by billert »

I wrote to Sportchief camo manufacturer. Seems like they make some really nice stuff and was interested in a mail order from them. Maybe ya'll can tell me if the stuff is truely UV free. I think that's what he's saying LOL:

Hello again Chris,

I can assure you that the base die used in the fabric is absolutely UV resistant. Also, since the fabric is then printed through a die transfer process at high heat, the chemicals associated to UV (Phosphate) are burned off. Then, the fabric goes for shower proofing which is non UV conducive. The fabric is then process by another plant that laminates the waterproof membrane, there are no surface chemicals applied in this process.

As you can understand, during the course of fabric and garment production, there are quite a few air pollutants (textile dust) that “can” be attracted to the surface of the clothing. I can assure you that once the garment is washes once in a non-scented and especially no-phosphate soap, there shouldn’t be any residual “possible” UV particles left on the surface.

To avoid any residual phosphates from clinging to your clothing, you should run the washing machine with no clothing in it for a full cycle with HOT water (of course with soap in it)

To keep the camouflage design from fading for as long as possible, may I suggest to wash your hunting clothing inside-out.

Also, you should run your dryer with some bath towels in it, to sponge off residual phosphate and fabric softeners.

Because most fabric damage occurs in the dryer, you should remove your clothing from the dryer when it is almost but not completely dry and hang till it is completely dry.

I hope I was useful to shed some light in your query.

Regards

Gerry Hardy
Where's the deer?
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

You know what, I use regular laundry detergent(unscented but from the grocery store). I use the same old soap. I can wear every-day clothes and still get within shooting range.

What about all the deer and other game animals that were taken prior to this "uv awareness"? Prior too the modern, high-tech camo patterns? When you read that "todays deer are different" and believe it you are going to believe that you need all those products to be successful.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
billert

Post by billert »

I think the point is the exact opposite. That is you are better off without the high tech stuff i.e. UV brighteners. They only make the clothes look better to the hunter. You're actually better off with old tech, plaid coats before UV enhanced stuff.
Where's the deer?