Arrows for "plinking"?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Zeke

Arrows for "plinking"?

Post by Zeke »

My daughter has asked for some arrows for Christmas. We've got a couple old recurve bows - one 40# fiberglass and one 51# wood/fiberglass.

Anyway, she's getting really interested in bow hunting - but is undecided whether she wants to shoot verts or xbows. So, she wants to get some of her own arrows for those recurves so she can experiment next year and figure it out for herself.

So, what brand/weight/type of arrow should we get for her? I'm figuring aluminum would be the way to go, but I'm not really sure which ones to get that could be shot from both bows.

Suggestions?
wabi

Post by wabi »

Zeke,
Some bows are very critical of arrow spine and some are very forgiving. It's almost impossible say what would work without seeing her shoot the bows. One option might be to get arrows spined for the heavier bow and use heavier points for the lighter bow. The heavy point in effect reduces arrow spine. Carbons sometimes have a wider range of weights they can be shot from. I like cedar shafts because they are heavier and store more energy, but I use them for hunting where energy becomes a factor. For target shooting it's not all that important.
wabi
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Maybe I should look at carbons then?

I can say these arrows won't be used for hunting - she's just trying to figure out whether she has the patience to develop good form and can develop the strength to draw and hold the bow - as far as accuracy, I figure if we can keep her inside a two-foot-square area, that will suffice just for the sake of finding out whether or not she likes verts or wants to use a crossbow.

We just want to let her make the choice on her own - she's seen me shoot a scoped Exomag and she's heard me talk about wanting to try a recurve or long bow - she's seen her uncle shoot his Horton and another uncle shoot his compound - add to that some of the kids from school and in her circle of friends who use both as well.

When she chooses a type of bow and finally gets one she intends to hunt with, THEN we'll dial in her arrow selection and make sure the bow is tuned to her specific needs.

Anyhoo... all that aside, I was just wondering if there's a "fitzall" arrow to get her so she can hit a hay bale at 20 paces. :wink:
bj

Post by bj »

try these...goldtip 35/55's, cut feathers, and a carolina wrap...tough as nails, nice and light and fly like a dart (these will fly great on most bows from 30 to 60 #'s)...they're almost indestructable too !!! (just what i need - indestructable traditional arrows for the more often than enough times the arrow finds it's way, well you know what i mean :oops:

GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Sure do like them there bar feathers bj.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!