The seasons!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grizzled47

The seasons!

Post by grizzled47 »

Hi Guys,
Hope you are all having some luck with your hunting! I can't wait to have a go next season. There has been plenty of hunting activity around our area, and plenty of shots ringing out, so maybe the harvest has been good!
I am in the process of choosing a rifle myself at the moment, and have been asking for advice from various quarters regarding types and models! It's amazing how many different views there are on just a few models I have in mind! I know nothing about firearms, including bows, although I am certainly progressing on the bow front, thanks to this forem.
I intend doing some hunting with both bow and rifle in the coming years, so I decided it was time to get to know something about both. The rifle I want has to be able to deel with deer, moose and possibly bear! The choices have been narrowed down to just a handful, with the Remington 7600 (pump) 30.06, Remington 7400 semi-auto 30.06, and the BLR .358, or 30.06 lever action, at the top of the list!
I would appreciate anyone's views on these models...and any others.

I am amazed at the speed of the seasonal changes down here in Miramichi! The transformation in just a couple of months has been incredible. We arrived here in the summer, and now the winter is setting in after a very wet, but colourful fall! The old homestead looks great whatever the weather, but I really look forward to the spring time down here. Can't wait to see it for the first time!
We have started putting up some lights etc for Christmas, and will be choosing a tree soon...there's plenty here to choose from!
It will seem strange spending Christmas in another country, and so far away from family & friends, but this is my home now, and is where I want to be...with my wonderful Canadian wife. I'll miss England, but my heart is now in Canada....a wonderful country!
Grizzled.
SUMMER..Image
FALL..Image
WINTER..Image
If at first you don't succeed...try again!!
Grizzled.
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

Your choice in rifle should match the style of hunting to be done. As for calibare check with locals or local gun shop to see what the most used is. If you are going to hunt from trestands or ground blinds I waould recommend your choice of cal. in a synthedic action of your choice. If you are going to be slip or still hunting go with a wood finish as woodhitting brush is a natural sound compared to plastic on brush. You really can't beat a 30-06 though I prefer 7 mm as it is flatter shooting.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

I love bolt action rifles for failsafe reliabilty, and accuracy. I will be shopping for a rifle probably next fall for my son. It'll be a bolt action in .30-06. Ammo is easy to come by and cheaper than the magnums in 7mm Rem. mag. and .300 Win mag.

You seem to prefer pumps, autos, and levers...for speed? I believe in the old indian saying " one shot = kill, two shots = maybe, and three shots = missed!" :lol:

All kidding aside, I 'd choose a Browning lever in .308 from the action types you mentionned. It is far lighter and more compact than the longer cased .30-06 and packs all the punch you will need for the game you mentionned.

...just an opinion! :wink:
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

You are right, if you ask a hundred people what gun, what caliber you will get a hundred different answers!! Just like mine!!! :D

I like to get close to the game I am after, for that reason I would opt for a gun with less range than what you have in mind. I like the 45-70. In a Marlin Guide Gun. It's handy, quick to the shoulder, and packs a mighty big whallop!! And is a repeater!!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

grizzled47 : Nice season pictures ! I am sending you a PM re: a certain caliber and a bullet ballistic / trajectory chart link for comparison .
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
regdude

Post by regdude »

For years I hunted with my old 303 Brithish .
It was helpfull in taking down many deers.
I then started hunting using the help of dogs.
I then switched to a Remington Model 7400 30-06 semi auto.
Where before I had one shot at the prize I now had two ,if I understood my surroundings well.
When using a semi auto you must keep your riffle in very good health , keeping it clean to avoid Jams. What ever dirt is in your clip ,it will find it's way inside your riffle causing jams.
Early in the morning when the sun is about to show it's face , everything is quiet and prisitine wanting to be quiet you pull back to gently while loading that first round in the breach , to avoid that frustrating cold click with no detonation ,I now make sure my riffle is loaded by releasing the clip and making sure the first round is indeed in.
I use a 150 grain for Deer and 165 for Moose .
Another good caliber for most game is the 270. It has a smaller head but has good travel and packs a good punch.

The type of game you hunt and where you hunt will influence your choice of riffle.

When I dog for deer my 30-30 Winchester open sight is hard to beat.
It has multiple safety short barrel and most of the time I spook the game
making this this very upclose and personal with no time to look through a scope this is why the open sight.

Good Luck

Regdude