Black powder ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mailman

Black powder ?

Post by Mailman »

Is there a difference between 100 gr volume and 100 gr weight?
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Yes. There are many forms of blackpowder (FF, FFF, FFFF = size of kernals)...besides other subsitutes like Pyrodex which comes indifferent kernal sizes as well. The sizes dictate how fast the burn rate(the larger the kernal the slower the burn).

Larger kernals mean more air space between the kernals and therefore less weight per space/volume occupied.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I read in my blackpowder manual you should always go by volume vs weight. I've never done any blackpowder shooting, got the book than an Excalibur :wink: !
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Never, Never, measure black powder by weight. Always by volume. Most blackpowder measures, are graduated in 10 grain increments. Look up some info on the web, because it is just too much to go into. I have been muzzleloading for a long time, and my advice though, would be search out a reliable source, such as T/C, CVA, Knight, and I'm sure most have Q/A sections that could help you, without me getting typer's cramp. Do some good reasearch, before shooting "better SAFE" than sorry. Just my 2 cts. Butcher
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I'm using Triple 7 and stupid me didn't read, "BY VOLUME" My mistake, LAST time it was putting my eye up against the scope to steady my shot. OUCH
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

OUCH is right! :shock:
I've been mildly kissed by a scope, but resting your eye ON the scope?!

That had to hurt! How many stitches?
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have read & experienced first-hand that black powder is not as critical of exact charges as most smokeless powders. A couple of grains variation on a 100 grain charge will cause very little change in accuracy or velocity.
Use a volumetric measure, and use the same loading procedure for each shot (for example - scoop the measure over full & tap it 5 times with your finger to settle the powder then scrape the overflow off if any is left) and you will get acceptable results. I like the volumetric measure with the little funnel/scraper built right on th measure. Just over fill it with the funnel swung to the side, tap a few times, then close the funnel to scrape the excess off and pour it down the barrel using the funnel. Very simple, easy, and plenty precise enough!
wabi