I took the plunge!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

widowman

I took the plunge!

Post by widowman »

Tonight I went out and picked up a new Excalibur Exocet 200.

Tomorrow I will pick up the Vari-zone scope.

The Exocet seems real nice. I was thinking of getting a Pheonixx, but the proshop was selling the Exocet for $10 less, so I went with it. I was suprised by a couple of items. On the positive, the bow was managable to cock with my hands. The cocking rope took away any struggle. The bow was a good physical weight and pointed nicely. The design was simple and the quality was first rate. On the negative, the stock was quite noisey and seemed almost hollow. I wish it felt a little more solid and less hard plastic sounding. I have read hear about an over moulded stock, I think that would be a great idea. Any ideas with reducing stock noise? The bow is pretty wide when undrawn, but was similar to the compound bows when drawn. I am sure that I will get used to the size with use.

I have been shooting bows since is was 10 years old, which gives me 25 years of experience. I shoot just about anything vertical. I have owned a crossbow, but it had mechanical problems which kept me from learning much about crossbows. I believe now that I have a quality crossbow and can go forward with learning a whole new archery disipline.

I am sure I will have some questions that I hope you guys can help me with, in return if you all have some vertical questions, feel free to send them my way.

First question. I picked up 6 of the excalibur bolts. They are the Lazer II bolts. It appears they have a flat nock that is threded and an aluminum insert. I was hoping to shoot a heavy shaft. I prefer carbon but would like 2219 weight. Does excalibur offer the same shaft with brass inserts. Is there someone out there that makes these shafts? I do have a few bitzenberger fletching jigs, so I guess I could do them myself. Any recommendations on where I could pick up the nocks and inserts would be appreciated.

Hello and Thanks,

widowman
Digger

Post by Digger »

First of all WELCOME to the forum, and congratulations on your new Exocet 200 , a great chioce. As for the noise, a heavier stock or a wooden stock would quiet it down a lot. I have an after market stock on a couple of my Excaliburs. They are very quiet.

1998 Vixen

2004 Excal Paradox

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
widowman

Post by widowman »

I have seen those on this site. Those are sweet.

I do think that they are a little more $ than I would like to spend. Also, it would be hard for me to take a piece of art like that out in the woods.

It would be nice is someone made a rubber sleve that could be pulled over the back portion of the stock.

I do like the black rail. I wish my exocet had one like that. Mine is gray.

Another question. The proshop put the bow together while I was in the store so that I could try both the Phenoix and the exocet. the dissaptor pads seem to be wider on one end than the other. Does the more narrow side go towards the center? They did it with the wider side facing in toward the center. I cant imagine that it would make a big difference, but I would think that having the pad contact more of the limb would be better.
widowman

Post by widowman »

Ok. I think I just answered my own question.

I went to turn the pads around and realized that they are square.

The reason that they do not appear square is because the inner side has more pressure against the pads, which pushes it out further.

I will get these crossbows figured out one of these days.

I am sure you guys will help along the way.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Keep in mind that when you shoot the bow your head is bang up against the stock which amplifies the sound. Have somebody else shoot it while you stand back and it wont be as loud.

Congrats on your new investment.!!! :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
widowman

Post by widowman »

A.W.

the sound i am refering to is the stock in general. if you tap it or knock it into someting, it is pretty loud and hollow sounding.

I think that any kind of cover, fabric or rubber would help.

any suggestions, without having to buy a custom wood stock.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

widowman : Sweeeeet Exocet 200 ! My buddy just picked one up .... it's a beauty !

Welcome to the club !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Along with the stock don't forget the foot stirrup. It is also noisy!! But simple to rectify. A little bit of foam and some duct tape will take all the noise out of the foot stirrup. Just don't make it too poofy otherwise the blades on your broadhead will hit the tape!!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Bonzai

Post by Bonzai »

Small world, I just got my Exocet crossbow on Thurs. also. I have never hunted before and cannot wait to start. Next got to get my hunting licence, hopefully this December. I live on 10 acres of land in Aurora that is just crawling with deer. Guess they think they are safe here, should change that real quick. :twisted:
widowman

Post by widowman »

Well, I finally got to an area where I could get out and try out the bow. The sighting in process was the hardest two arrows of my life...LOL.

This thing is amazing. After shooting 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards. One arrow per dot, do aviod arrow contact, I was ready to try some broadheads. I wanted to shoot slick tricks as I have heard alot of good things about them and high velocity crossbows. However, I could not find them in any of the shops in my area, so I went with the G5 montec 125's. After IDENTICAL results with the broadheads that I got with the field points, I was truley amazed. Never before had a tuning session went so quick and smooth.

I am still looking for something to quiet the rear portion of the stock, when it mounts the shoulder. Still pretty loud to me. I did notice after shooting that although the front of the stock has the same issue, it does not recieve as much contact and is less likely to be a problem.