Mechanicals

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tom

Post by Tom »

Hoss wrote:The mechs may leave a bigger entrance hole but as its been said alot of times they dont go completly thru..(My experience) so if your in a tree and the entrance is high which is normal you have one hole high! that means no exit wound to bleed out for blood trail..and the biggest part of the blood that otherwise would be on the ground is in the deer..If you hunt real thick ares you need that blood trail NOW..cut on impact seems more likely to pass thru giving you a exit wound that tells where the deer is heading NOW...how big a hole does one need anyway....I would rather have 2 in and out, instead of just one..just mho.........
Hoss I do not know what heads you were using, but the Spitfire uses up only 3ft/pounds of energy to open. With even my 150 pound relayer, that still leaves me with more then enough energy for a pass through. Now if you hit heavy bone, that will stop any head, fixed or mechanical.

Again do not judge all mechanicals from experance or a few heads. You can get a bad fixed blade as well as bad mechanicals. Choose a quality head, fixed or mechanical, and then you should not have any problems if you look after the head.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
bj

Re: Mechanicals

Post by bj »

Tom wrote:
bj wrote:
TYE wrote:Hey guys, which mechanicals do ya'll shoot and prefer?
simply and in all honesty...............none !.........they're great for bird hunting and shooting massive holes in rusty ole' 45 gallon drums...sorry, you asked and i told ya'....:wink:
Sorry BJ & RJ but if you want the larger cutting diameter heads, then mechanicals are the way to go. If you are happy with cutting dia. of around 1 1/8 - 1 3/16 then fixed blades are the way to go.
- who said i was looking for a larger cutting diameter head...i'm not sure i said that... :?:

- anyhow, to each his own...blades and heads are a very controversial subject...use whatever works for you, until such time as it let's you down...

- i leave you with this:

***ever shoot an animal either quartering to or away from you...(not that i condone taking a quartering to you shot!)...think about the exp. head and how it works as it hits it's target ?... i've seen it a couple of times and it resulted in a wounded lost animal...bottom line, like i said...use what what works for you and what you're comfortable with...
TYE

Post by TYE »

Yeah, I think I'm going to stick with fixed heads. My Wasp Boss's seem alright, but I've heard so much about Thunderheads, that I want to try them out.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Well, I am either going with NAP Spitfires or NAP Thunderheads.
bj

Post by bj »

TYE wrote:Well, I am either going with NAP Spitfires or NAP Thunderheads.
huh???
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Tye, not to be judgemental, but why the changeover??

Have you had problems with the Wasp Boss heads? Have you even had a chance to try them out on a deer yet this year? I'm using these same heads and although I've yet to shoot a deer with them, as far as accuracy goes, I'm happy with their performance.

Sounds like someone talked you into a mech. head along the way. :?
150 lb Wolverine
165 lb Exocet
175 lb Phoenix
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
TYE

Post by TYE »

j wrote:Tye, not to be judgemental, but why the changeover??

Have you had problems with the Wasp Boss heads? Have you even had a chance to try them out on a deer yet this year? I'm using these same heads and although I've yet to shoot a deer with them, as far as accuracy goes, I'm happy with their performance.

Sounds like someone talked you into a mech. head along the way. :?
I'm dissapointed because past 20 yards, the Wasp Boss's aren't hitting where they should be. I can group my field points in a tiny circle at 50 yards. Heck if I tried that with my Wasp's, no way jose.

The Mechanicals was just a thought of my own.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Tom wrote :
Sorry BJ & RJ but
Nothing to be sorry about ..... just giving my $ 0.02 on my choice of broadhead .... whatever works for you .... sounds like you have had good success with mech's

Most important of all is shot placement ..... a bad shot is a bad shot with whatever broadhead you use ....

Personally I had heard from many guys over the years , instances when a mechanical ( many misc brands ) malfunctioned at one time or another ..... so I figured I wanted to stay away from them since I didn't want to miss an opportunity on a monster buck due to equipment malfunction .... Just a prefrence ... I don't actually have any test data ...

I use 130 grain Wasp Cam loc's because they have worked good for me over the years ....

I know many guys that have taken many deer with Muzzy's and Slick Tricks as well ...... ( Those Slick tricks look scary deadly ! ).... ( as in Greywolf's picture ) ....
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
TYE

Post by TYE »

Yeah them slick tricks remind me of a missile or rocket or something.
doegirl

Post by doegirl »

I've tried both. I could not get thunderheads to group very well with my setup. That does not mean that they won't work perfectly fine in your's :wink: Honestly, I just did not want to do the work and make the necessary adjustments to get those big heads flying correctly. I know of more than one archer who will accept nothing but a Thunderhead on the end of their arrow.
I was using Spitfires this season until very recently. My two main gripes with Spitfires is: 1. They're really expensive 2. A set of blade retainers will last 5 shots before needing replaced. You need to buy practice blades. Repeatedly shooting a head with regular blades will not only mess up the blades and the retainers, but will also start to distort the slots and the screw holes. I've only killed one deer with a Spitfire, that's not very representative of a head's true performance. Bottom line is that I have a hard time trusting a head that I cannot practice with. If a head gets destroyed after shooting it 10 times in a foam target-that's hard for me to swallow, especially at $33.00 for 3. I might be completely wrong, but shooting with the nonopening practice blades is different than using the movable "real" ones.
"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
-Thomas Jefferson
speedball

Post by speedball »

Doegirl, i have the spitfire practice head if ya want it you can have it its 100 grains, i killed 8 deer using spit's and they are a great head as long as your k.e. is kinda high but i do agree with the cost factor thats why i switched to slick trick, i love the way they fly and the wound is also very impresive and the blades in the right hands can be resharpened, hey tye dont even try the thunderheads it will waste your time just my 2 cents speedball.............. :) p.s doegirl i live n.e. ohio a letter is cheap!!
gone huntin never to return................
doegirl

Post by doegirl »

Speedball-thanks for the kind offer :D I just switched over to Magnus Stingers/Buzzcuts. I don't think I'll be looking back :wink:
"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
-Thomas Jefferson
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

TYE,
Spitfire delivers on the money every time. I have taken buck and doe with Stilleto but the o-ring is not my thing. Spitfire is all I ask for. Expensive? Yes. But you get what you pay for. I want the deer coming home with me. So I only shoot Spitfire now. My Excalibur and a Spitfire is an unbeatable combination. Just ask the little 7 pointer I took this year.
Kendo Kid
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
TYE

Post by TYE »

Yeah, I've heard alot about the Spitfires. Good stuff mostly.

I think I'm gonna get some Beman Thunderbolts and either Thunderhead 100's or Spitfire 100's. Thunderheads and Thunderbolts would be a funny combination. Having the same names almost. :lol: