Mechanicals

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tomcat

Post by tomcat »

doegirl wrote:I've tried both. I could not get thunderheads to group very well with my setup. That does not mean that they won't work perfectly fine in your's :wink: Honestly, I just did not want to do the work and make the necessary adjustments to get those big heads flying correctly. I know of more than one archer who will accept nothing but a Thunderhead on the end of their arrow.
I was using Spitfires this season until very recently. My two main gripes with Spitfires is: 1. They're really expensive 2. A set of blade retainers will last 5 shots before needing replaced. You need to buy practice blades. Repeatedly shooting a head with regular blades will not only mess up the blades and the retainers, but will also start to distort the slots and the screw holes. I've only killed one deer with a Spitfire, that's not very representative of a head's true performance. Bottom line is that I have a hard time trusting a head that I cannot practice with. If a head gets destroyed after shooting it 10 times in a foam target-that's hard for me to swallow, especially at $33.00 for 3. I might be completely wrong, but shooting with the nonopening practice blades is different than using the movable "real" ones.

I disagree with some of these points.
1. Spitfires are the same price as other heads for the most part about 10$ a pop.
Practice blades for the spitfires are cheap and they have not only the same weight but also the same blade surface exposed.
I can attest that they fly exactly where the real bladed ones do, as well as where your field points do.
If anyone douts this, I challenge them to shoot a group of field points, then a group of practice blades, and finally a group of real bladed ones.
I guarantee you will be making a trip to your nearest proshop for a handful of arrows:)
After you shoot 1 bladed spitfire and 1 practice blade, You will see there is no need to practice with the bladed ones, and in all actuality you should only need to shoot 1 practice bladed spitfire into your field point group to confirm they hit the same place.
I have yet to see spitfires fly different than field points and I have seen them shot out of piss poorly tuned bows, and still group with thier field points.
As far as replacing the blade retention insert after 5 shots, this is somewhat a moot point on 2 counts, first off, I believe NAP suggests you replace them after 5 "openings" because it flattens the dimples and takes less resistance to open.
I personally have opened my blades many more times than 50 times and still assured my blades didn't open on the shot as my shot hit exactly where I aimed it. If the blades opened, then this would not be possible.
I do replace the little peices of metal when I replace blades, as they are free with the blades as well as replacement screws.
I replace my blades after each shot, along with the clips and screws.
Spitfires are a great head for anyone pushing higher KE, anyone who isn't should look at a fixed head or a Rocky snyper/ Rocket Steelhead.
Another factor that makes spitfires as well as thunder heads appealing...is I KNOW for certain I can find at any sporting goods store blades, replacement heads etc.
Some of these newer heads are great but simply require "planning" to obtain spares etc ahead of time due to availability.

As far as anyone speculating that Mechs have failed in the past, well have yet to see one fail to open, and numerous BH tests have been done where not a single head failed to open during all these tests.
People that claim the head failed really mean that THEY failed to place the shot where it belongs or took a shot that possibly shouldn't have been taken.
It is physically impossible for the blades to not open, each manufacturer of mech heads deals with this accusation each year and has proven themselves redundantly to the point of exhaustion.
Yet it is funny how nobody wonders about shooting fixed blades at steep angles in which they torque the bow and the arrow groups dramatically left or right and they miss where they aimed.

Why is it that when someone fails to recover a mech shot deer, it's the head, but when it was shot with a fixed blade that hit somewhere other than perfect, it's not even questioned?

I know many mfg's claim they offer a fixed blade that shoots as good as field points...maybe true out of a "hooter shooter", but the big question is will it group with field points out of a tree stand while aiming downward after you have sat in the cold all day?
I assure you the mech will hit exactly where you point it, as will it open up on impact.
Shoot what you like, but both types have pro's and cons which are pretty much equal, 1 type may be better for some rigs/shooters than the other and it boils down to which one works for your setup better than the other.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
Tom

Re: Mechanicals

Post by Tom »

bj wrote:
Tom wrote:
bj wrote: simply and in all honesty...............none !.........they're great for bird hunting and shooting massive holes in rusty ole' 45 gallon drums...sorry, you asked and i told ya'....:wink:
Sorry BJ & RJ but if you want the larger cutting diameter heads, then mechanicals are the way to go. If you are happy with cutting dia. of around 1 1/8 - 1 3/16 then fixed blades are the way to go.
- who said i was looking for a larger cutting diameter head...i'm not sure i said that... :?:

- anyhow, to each his own...blades and heads are a very controversial subject...use whatever works for you, until such time as it let's you down...

- i leave you with this:

***ever shoot an animal either quartering to or away from you...(not that i condone taking a quartering to you shot!)...think about the exp. head and how it works as it hits it's target ?... i've seen it a couple of times and it resulted in a wounded lost animal...bottom line, like i said...use what what works for you and what you're comfortable with...
BJ I did very serious testing before I went full into these heads, which included shooting into heavy polyform at different angles (anywhere from 15 - 60 degrees). Each and everytime the head went dirrectly into the target, no deflection. You see the blades are back far enough that the point is in far enough before the blades start to open (about 1/4"). But that problem of deflection also occurs with fixed cut on contact heads that have blades coming to the point, if the angle of shot exceeds the angle of the blade, then the point will never enter before the blade is deflected away.

Also the statement above about YOU WANTING A LARGER CUTTING HEAD was not dirrected personally at you but towards all hunters in general.

RJ you have great success with those heads, I still have a few in my arrow rack. There is nothing wrong with them, they are dependable, strong but I wanted a larger cutting area. I had found that in windy conditions, the larger fixed heads tended to drift more and opened up the groupings which was why I went to mechanicals. As you said shot placement is important, actually the most important part in my mind. Have confidance in your arrow setup and then enjoy your hunt.

TomCat pointed out everything about the spitfire heads so I won't cover them again. But I will say again, weither you choose mechanicals or fixed blades, please choose a quality head. Cheaper heads (quality not $) can have the tendicy to fail at the worst times. So weigh the pro & cons then investigate some more then make your choice with knowledge.

[/i]
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

I used Grim Reaper mechanicals.Got two deer,one at 30 yards one at 15.Good size hole on the 30 yard but I spined it so there was only one hole.Spined the other as well but it took out the tops of the ribs and the spine and made it out.Both dropped on the spot.It was the same head both times.I will use them again.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Think I'm either gonna get Thunderheads or Spitfires for sure.

I'm really leaning towards the Spitfires.
speedball

Post by speedball »

hey tye ya ever heard of the rocky mountain snyper?? i guess the only disadvantage to that head is that it uses a rubber band in the front to hold it closed but i did hear from many guys on other forums that it is tough as hell and you can shoot it at any angle, speedball................... :?:
gone huntin never to return................
TYE

Post by TYE »

Yep, I've seen them before. The Spitfire has more of my attention though. Don't like the idea of the the rubber bands.
Captainjack40

Post by Captainjack40 »

A friend and I just returned from Ohio. Killed two 10 point bucks using Spitfire 125 gr mechanicals. One at 20 yards and one at 40 yeads. Neither buck went 30 yards. Plus they are as accurate as practice points.
First tried Wasp 100 gr mechanicals but they wouldn't fly straight. Hope this helps you. PS: 10 point recommends Spitfires!
doegirl

Post by doegirl »

Captainjack40 wrote:A friend and I just returned from Ohio. Killed two 10 point bucks using Spitfire 125 gr mechanicals. One at 20 yards and one at 40 yeads. Neither buck went 30 yards. Plus they are as accurate as practice points.
First tried Wasp 100 gr mechanicals but they wouldn't fly straight. Hope this helps you. PS: 10 point recommends Spitfires!
TenPoint also recommends Thunderheads. Never said that Spitfires won't work, are junk, or whatever. They are a quality head, that's for sure. Just decided that they weren't for me, or any mechanical, for that matter.
"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
-Thomas Jefferson
TYE

Post by TYE »

It's a tough decision between the Thunderheads and Spitfires, heard great about both.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Tonight I nailed a Hamburger helper box with all 5 fieldtipped arrows. Then I put the Wasp Boss's on the same arrows, and only one arrow hit the hamburger helper box. ...............exactly why I don't want to shoot the Wasps anymore.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I agree Tye, up to 20 yards the Wasp Boss work OK, beyond that it's questionable. Besides since they are low profile, and only have 3 blades, I've heard that the blood trail they leave is less than desireable.

The same can't be said about the Slick Tricks. As far as accuracy, the Slicks fly like field points. I killed a grouse at 32 yards, then used the same broadhead and GoldTip to shoot a six-pointer at 40 yards. Although they seem small, because of their 4 cutting surfaces, they leave an awesome hole and blood trail even a blind man can follow. The buck went only 30 yards. After I recovered the bolt, I shot it at a ethafoam target, and was consistently was hitting a loonie-size bullseye freehand up to 45 yards away.

Another broadhead that works great is the Montec G5, It also flies great, leaves a great blood trail, and in my experience is as tough as nails. It is a tad expensive at $40 Cdn. plus tax for a package of 3. However, unless you lose it, it can be sharpen and used over and over again, making it more economical then some of the cheaper thinner bladed heads.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
speedball

Post by speedball »

Hey Tye, try the spitfires they will not let you down the kind of k.e. that a crossbow creates will leave and incredible hole in whatever you shoot!! i really dont know why i switched to slick tricks maybe cause i like to try new things out especially since EVERYONE said it is a good head, but i have the proof in 8 deer that the spits work, if you shoot 100 grain i'll make the offer to you i have a 100 grain practice head with the practice blades already installed, i'll giv it to ya so you can see just how good a spitfire flys, PM me if ya want it, speedball........ :D :D
gone huntin never to return................
Moreland

Post by Moreland »

I used a Spitfire 100gr this year on my deer, HEART, DOUBLE LUNG & BROKE ITS SHOULDER! Before the season I was a little bit sceptical about the mechanical broadheads because of the Excalibur video and hearing things from other people that because of a crossbows rapid acceleration that there was a chance that the broadheads could open up before impact. But after trying some fixed blade broadheads and not getting the results I wanted I used the mechanicals. I have a great deal of confidence in my setup, and I can't wait to get another chance at one this season hopefully.
It's not a Passion. It's and Obsession.
shifty

Post by shifty »

g5 montecs are all I use. Havent found a better broadhead yet and Ive shot a lot of heads over the 17yrs Ive been bow hunting. Used to love the bear razorhead too.
LOWKEY

Post by LOWKEY »

I'm getting a little worried! I have a VIXEN 150lbs and like you know its KE is low I guess??? I'm shooting 100gr spitfire, should I be switching???
I'd hate to loose a deer, my very first deer at that if I see one :roll:
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/lukebeaudry/HUNTINGSig.jpg[/img]
Don't let a piece of metal you use to get around in stop you!