Watch Your Odor!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

speedball

Watch Your Odor!!!

Post by speedball »

Just got back from an outing last nite my hunting partner and i saw three bucks one 75 yards away two 15 yards away completely downwind of both of us(we were in the same tree), and they never knew we were there!! too bad it was just about dark when this happened, my point is watch your scent control and anything's possible. what and how do you go about doing it and what works for you :?: i wash everything in hunters specialty laundry detergent and i also use scent loc which i think works and i use Deer Dander for a cover on my boots oh and first i shower in unscented soap, everybody has a ritual what is it :?: speedball..............
gone huntin never to return................
wabi

Post by wabi »

Took a bath in October, and hung my huntin' clothes on the line to air out last summer.
Just kidding! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I really bathe daily, and wash the hunting clothes in household cleaning soap (usually pine-scented Lestoil type cleaners) that does not contain any UV brighterers, then let them air out well before wearing them. I wear rubber-bottomed boots and don't really get into a ritual of any kind. I feel like I can't completely eliminate odor, so simply try to reduce it as much as practical and play the wind whenever possible. I've had a monster buck actually track me like a dog would when I used fox pee cover scent on my boots (yep - I missed the shot when the arrow from my recurve touched a limb). I've also (more than once) had deer walk within feet of my ground blind when I was smoking a cigar & drinking hot coffee and totally ignore the odors? After years of hunting, seeing, shooting, and actually killing a few deer I've decided the best plan is to spend lots of time outdoors in an area where the deer population is high. Do what you can to control odor and visibility, but don't become obcessed with it, because you aren't going to fool all the deer all the time - but you will fool some of the deer some of the time, and you better be ready to shoot when you do!!!!!! :wink:
wabi
deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

Excellent reply Wabi!!!! If you have the time, money and inclination do as you please to eliminate scent. For many time and trouble can cut into hunting time and make hunting work instead of recreation. As you said if you spend time hunting you will fool some of the deer some of the time.
bowhunter4334

Post by bowhunter4334 »

hey guys.....i have a couple rituals.......here goes:

1-when i get out of my truck to head into the bush, i drop an apple, and step on it, and then wipe both feet well on it, until its practically dissolved

2-i keep a small spray bottle of diluted vanilla extract, just mixed with water, which i spray all over my clothes before i go out........especially ankle areas which may get exposed, hood or hat, and gloves, and then just a misting around the rest of me.....i don't know about bambi, but the wife sure likes it...LOL

generally, i expect deer to come 'into' the wind, or 'across' the wind,
i don't generally sit waiting for them to come from the same direction the wind comes from, if they do, i have found they do like a zig zag from cedar clump to another

anyhow,
that was my bit....... hope everyone is having a good season

bowhunter4334
Humans are hunters and gatherers by nature, although most do it in grocery stores these days......Reality isn't what it used to be !
speedball

Post by speedball »

thanx guys i love to hear that stuff cause only hunters in general can live in the livingrooms of the deer and still once in a while get to have a little talk with them, my motto is "go to the woods and allways take some home with ya" cause someday we will take it for good, speedball..........
gone huntin never to return................
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

I get out and hunt every day except Sundays in Md. morning or evening depending on the moon. I leave in the afternoon from my shop after working all day so I have to be very picky on my set ups. I have to know the wind and deer habits in my area to hunt them. This year has been great. passing on nummeriuos bucks this rut and waiting for a good shooter. I saw one this morning. The only way I can get him is to get him to come to me though. He traveling on park land. The good news is the wind in most always in my face and a good drag line through the area with a mock scrap may may bring him out.
Back to scent controll, if you can't go out clean all I can say is , KNOW YOUR CHIT ! or you will not see him again if he winds you.
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

remember how your mother put baking soda in the fridge,to remove the oder,,,all i ever use is baking soda in a long white sox, tie the end then pat your self down with it. my son had a 6 pointer about 15 feet from him saturday,also break cedar limbs close to you very good cover.

h.j.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

good point with the evergreens Jack, I also will pull wild onions up and rub the onion on me. If you notice bedding areas usualy have onions in them and it works great as a cove scent.