rifle needed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grizzled47

rifle needed

Post by grizzled47 »

Hey guys!
This may be a strange request for a crossbow forum, but has anyone out there got a half-decent .22 bolt action for sale. I am in the process of choosing a hunting rifle, but have been advised by a few very knowledgeable shooters that I should also get a second-hand 22 of the same action as my intended hunting job, for practice, before shooting the bigger one! (being a new shooter) It is for shooting small game, and targets etc. The new hunting rifle will be a bit costly, and I can't afford to buy both new!. As most on here know, I'm in Miramichi NB.
Cheers!
Grizzled.
If at first you don't succeed...try again!!
Grizzled.
TYE

Post by TYE »

The first gun I shot was a .22 Bolt Action when I took my hunters safety course.

After that, it's been all .30-06 since. BANG!
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

Check out CGN (Canadiangunnuts.com). Lot's of old .22s there.
My advice would be to get any old .22. Then for your first hunting rifle, get something easy to shoot with little recoil. A Marlin 336 in 30/30 or a Winchester Model 94 in 30/30 are good starts (I'm a sucker for lever guns). The possiblities are endless.....
grizzled47

Rifle wanted

Post by grizzled47 »

Hi TYE,
Nice to hear from you again. I know you like the 30.06, and my new rifle will be either that or .270. I was intending getting the same model as you, or the 7600 pump as you know, but things have changed now (again! ) I am deciding between the Savage model 14/114 American clasic, or the Ruger M77 MK11 Standard. Both in 207(possibly 30.06)
I am only a small guy, and have been warned to be wary of recoil! The Savage is the cheapest, but it has some outstanding reviews! as well as the best trigger in the business. I also like the look of the Winchester model 70 .270...it's a hard choice!! But right now I want a .22
Grizzled.
Grizzled.
A.W

Re: Rifle wanted

Post by A.W »

wrong post
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

The Savage is cheap. But there is a reason for that. I have one in 7mm RM, and boy, does it kick! Fairly accurate, but the stock just has to go. I'm in the process of getting a heavier one now. Check out the exchange forum at CGN. Lot's to choose form there.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I believe you can buy a new bolt action .22lr(formerly Lakefield I think) for under $200. I think Savage is now making them.

If I were to get a bolt action I would get either a Savage or a Sako. Big difference in price between the two. For the money you would be hard pressed to find a more accurate gun than a Savage.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
TYE

Re: Rifle wanted

Post by TYE »

grizzled47 wrote:Hi TYE,
Nice to hear from you again. I know you like the 30.06, and my new rifle will be either that or .270. I was intending getting the same model as you, or the 7600 pump as you know, but things have changed now (again! ) I am deciding between the Savage model 14/114 American clasic, or the Ruger M77 MK11 Standard. Both in 207(possibly 30.06)
I am only a small guy, and have been warned to be wary of recoil! The Savage is the cheapest, but it has some outstanding reviews! as well as the best trigger in the business. I also like the look of the Winchester model 70 .270...it's a hard choice!! But right now I want a .22
Grizzled.
If you're gonna hunt bear or moose, possably .30-06 is your best choice. .270 is awesome for deer though. I use the .30-06 because I hunt deer bear and moose. I'm 6'4" and 185lbs, so I'm not exactly the biggest guy either. Yeah the .30-06 has a nice kick, but it doesn't bother me, especially when I have a jacket on, that helps a bit. You can also get padded recoil pads. They might help too, wouldn't know though never used one.

As far as .22's they shouldn't be too expensive. Try looking at a gun shop near you. They usually carry used rifles.

Oh, by the way. Either Savage and Ruger are good rifles. There's a Savage factory near me. I like the looks of the Rugers. Anyways, I kind of had a brain fart and forget what I'm saying.... :oops:
darkhollowarcher

RE

Post by darkhollowarcher »

You may want to check the marlin model 25 in 22 rf, you can usually buy them new for $125.00 us funds. you might also want to consider the
thompson center encore for a hunting rifle,although it is a single shot you can interchange the different caliber barrels for a very reasonable cost.
( www.tcarms .com ) Bob
beaglelvr

Post by beaglelvr »

go with the best all around (30/06),when you are shooting at game,you wont even notice a recoil.
PRB

Post by PRB »

I have a 22 Long Rifle Marlin bolt action, model 25N Micro-Groove Barrel. If I'm not mistaken they made a ton of these and was selling them at a very reasonable price. I cant remember what I paid for mine new but I remember it was not expensive. I have shot hundreds and hundreds of shots through it and it has hit the mark perfectly for several years now. I tried every 22 bullet known to man kind to see which one would group the best and even after trying the match grade ammo (expensive) I found that the best groups I got from it was from the old cheap lead .22 Thunderbolts ($1.00 per 50 round box) I think they use to be called .22 Wildcats. Good luck
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
grizzled47

.22 rifle

Post by grizzled47 »

Hi there pineyriverbuck!
Is the rifle called a Glenvale, or something like that? It sounds ok to me, so let me know what you think about it please.
Grizzled. Is it ok for rabbits etc?
Grizzled.
PRB

Post by PRB »

No grizzled47 I dont believe its ever been called that. Yes they are great for rabbit, squirrel, ect...
I like the bolt action because is very reliable and suppose to be a tad more accurate than automatic. The bolt action is very easy to disassemble and clean also.
Depending on your needs you might want to consider a .22 that will chamber, .22 shorts, rifle, and long rifle. It can sometimes be nice to even use the .22 bird shot cartridges.
Good luck
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
grizzled47

Rifle wanted

Post by grizzled47 »

Hi Pineyriverbuck,
I have been looking at the marlin 27, and like the look of it! I'm going to get one!! There is one that was called the Glenfield...or something like that. It seems that the Marlin you have is ideal for me to learn with, and is not expensive. There is also a model that takes different bullets like you mentioned S, R and LR etc. I just hope I can find one now...in Canada if poss!
Cheers,
Grizzled.
Grizzled.
chest95

Comment

Post by chest95 »

Pineyriverbuck wrote:22 Thunderbolts ($1.
Well as brief as your comment is it explains alot.