Amateur Week Begins Tommorow!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

speedball

Amateur Week Begins Tommorow!!!!

Post by speedball »

Here in the great state of Ohio Gun season begins although i know many gun hunters that are also bow hunters there are far too many people out there that should not be in the woods! i hate to say it but yes its there week of glory and most of them shouldnt even carry a gun!!!, I've had multible bad experiences during this time and now refuse to go out , only maybe to check my spots for damage. Have you had bad things happen these weeks? and if so what? not trying to single gun hunting out but to me the proof is in the last 18 years of experiences, speedball :? :(
gone huntin never to return................
wabi

Post by wabi »

Speedball,
Most of the hunters I've met are honest, ethical people. But a few "bad apples" tend to slip in under the cover of so many hunters afeld. I have run off trespassers (hunting without permission), had shots fired too close for comfort, and usually find a few deer left for the scavengers each year. (not sure if they were shot and not wanted, or shot and not found because of a lack of tracking ability)
This year I was asked by a good friend to help him with his deer processing business, as one of his usual helpers is unable to work. I might slip out once or twice, but I'll be spending most of the week butchering deer (and even getting paid for it!) instead of hunting deer. A lot safer, and I'll still be seeing a lot of deer! :lol:
wabi
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:evil: Yes our gun season opens tomorow morning also!!, I was out hunting yesterday, and my normal quiet woods were just a mess , I saw at least 5 jerk's walking around laughing and trampiling down brush less than 30 yard's from my tree stand , One even stoped to take a piss by a tree on an active run I have been hunting since oct. I think I will sleep in tomorow morning and let the city slickers have the woods , I hate seeing $50,000 cars parked on a dirt road :lol: :lol: Last year I met up with a guy comeing out ,and I asked him how was his hunt , He replied "GREAT" I had one good SOUND SHOT !!. at which point I asked him what was a SOUND SHOT? He replied he heard brush moving behind him ,so he let go 4 rounds of buck shot in that direction !!! I left in total discust how did this guy ever get a hunting permit???
Well any way, if any one is venturing out in the morning be safe!! there are some not so safe folks out there and I want every one to make it home safe to there loved ones. good luck GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I've only been hunting this piece of public property for the past two years, but have not had any real bad experiences to date. A few rude run in's with folks who don't think that they need to hunt a different spot even if they know you are there. I left my two stands during the gun week this year and no one bothered them. I just remove the first 4 or 5 climbing steps so you'd have to be part raccoon to get to the stand :D .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Biker

Guns in Ohio????

Post by Biker »

Our firearm season opened this past Monday. Deer were plentiful here till about Thursday before. I live pretty far out of town and the Friday morning before opening day, the holler sounded like there was a small war going on. Saturday was a little slower, and the Sunday before firearm season actually opened, it was slower yet. Come this past Monday morning (opening day) it wasnt safe to be outdoors without bright orange coveralls. The woods were crawling with hunters on those little 4 wheel machines----shooting everything that moved. Then, the spotlighting began!!!!!! I drove to town on Wednesday, and every wide space in the road had a camper trailer, or a truck with camper top, and a trailer to carry the 4 wheeler. I stopped counting when I hit 50 (All with Ohio, Pa, and MD. plates) within 15 miles of the house. Yesterday, (Saturday) afternoon, there wasn't a camper, truck, or anything other than the locals left. All the out of staters seem to have left. It also seems like the deer have left. All the game checking stations claim the count is extremely low this year, but the locals know that most of the deer have been taken before the season officially began. Well, time to start mending the fences. Have a great season.
morepowr

Post by morepowr »

I drove by some public hunting land here at Wayne National Forest this morning and counted a dozen trucks in a small strecth. I hunted this area last year during gun season and only ran into one person, but he parked himself right across a draw from me and a buddy placing us in his line of fire and him in our line of fire. How he could not see us wearing orange is beyond me. After geeting his attention (which took a while0 he finally moved on. Gun season freaks me out around here with anyone that can get into the woods with a gun will. I do plan to go out the last two days hoping that most of the clowns in the woods have got their deer or sick of being out in the woods.
"If it moves, my excocet will kill it"
speedball

Post by speedball »

thanx guys now i know i'm not alone here in the country 25 miles east of cleveland many years ago i would go out and hunt with a firearm but now i just wait till the season ends and the deer calm down, my time is late season when most people are indoors(thats when i call the woods for myself), pissing their wives off and very far from me, call me a hermit a selfish person but dont ever call me a part of the ORANGE ARMY :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :evil: speedball...............
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

a couple of years ago a guy shot at me on my own property, luckily he couldn't see his sights either. When I yelled and asked him what he was doing, he took off running.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

i have gun hunted on private land for over 30 years without any problems, but as population densities (human) keep increasing i can certainly see where too many "hunters" with too few lands to hunt could become a problem. good luck and be safe!
thanks philip
wabi

Post by wabi »

Speedball,
Sorry to say, but my opinion is rapidly changing. My buddy who processes deer asked me to help him during gun season. Since I'm self-employed I am able to flex my schedule enough to help him a few hours each day. After two afternoons of skinning and butchering the deer the gun shooters are bringing in - :cry: :cry: :cry:
I think out of about 20 deer I have done I have seen one - yes 1 - that was properly field dressed, and when I started skinning it the other guys in the shop asked if it was causing the unpleasant odor (but not those exact words :wink: ). Yep! It had been shot through the stomach and the stomach contents blown out through the exit hole and crammed under the skin! :shock: Many are brought in shot to doll rags, and still containing all the innerds from the diaphgram forward. Hung one yesterday and it peed all over the shop, yep full bladder still inside and attached to the plumbing they missed in gutting.
These guys shoot until the gun is empty, halfway gut the carcass (probably because the've blown half the intestine contents apart and it stinks bad enough to gag them), and expect to get 90% of the deers live weight back in delicious cuts of meat.
I said today, it's a shame there isn't a requirement to make "hunters" pass a course in proper care of the game once the gun quits banging!
The best story of the day was when the shop owner was telling of one guy that came in with one (last year) and was actually crying because he had slain poor bambi. The owner talked him out of the deer, hide, antlers, and darned near talked him in to giving him the new Benelli shotgun he had murdered the poor defensless creature of the wilds with. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

Seems to me in all seasons we see some not so reliable hunters.

We have had the gauntlet of hunters( driving around in vehicles) shooting at everything that moves.

One group actually drove 500 yards onto my property firing away chasing a huge buck.

My father was in diect line of fire and was forced to take cover in the ditch bottom.

A call to the authorities was necessary! We turned in the licence plate number and they were charged with at least tressspassing, Should be a charge for stupidity as well !

Even still the odd tresspasser wanders onto the property and try to use our stands, which i don't mind; but when three were stolen one night, we got ugly.

But mostly all hunters are honest and will leave when asked to.

It's a shame there are some bad apples and they seem to find our place.

Oneshot........
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
beaglelvr

Post by beaglelvr »

What do you expect there are probably five million hunters in a state the size of manitoulin island!
speedball

Post by speedball »

wabi, at least the time is almost over, my hunting partner of 11 years who hunts with a old exocet says that most of the shooting is coming from miles down the road and has only heard one shot close all week, vern says all the deer are coming to the area at very last light --yea because they learn to stay out of the light this week!!!!, I feel your pain wabi, my freind also helps with the butcher and says the guys are a circus act the one truck load was a drunken mess and the deer were worse, he said SWISS CHEESE was a compliment to the carcuses they brought in, speedball...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

For the most part I'm not bothered by hunters any more. I just never leave our property. Its posted to strangers, I do let friends and family on, as long as I'm with them. Thankfully there's public land next to me (65,000 acres in total), a little tongue lashing and send them on their way next door.

Now with my kids starting to hunt, I'm a lot more protective, of their well being.

Grey Owl