New to cross bows...looking for advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rmhaack

New to cross bows...looking for advice

Post by rmhaack »

I am new to cross bows. I am looking to buy my first one and am just looking for any advice or tips from anyone. I am only going to be hunting whitetail deer with it. I was just wondering what sort of newbie advice people had for me. From what I have read, it looks like the phoenix or the exocet would be a good choice. Just wondering what I might look for as far as the energy they put out, the speed, draw length, etc. Thanks in advance.
rmhaack

Post by rmhaack »

Just to add, I would like to be able to take long yardage shots as well. Thanks.
wabi

Post by wabi »

For whitetails either the Phoenix or Exocet 200 has more than enough energy. As for long range, forget it with a crossbow. They have no range advantages over any other type of archery equipment. 30 yards is about my personal maximum range for deer. The problem isn't accuracy, the problem is that deer are nervous animals and react to the noise of the shot. I frequently see 40 yards listed as maximum crossbow range, but that's pushing it too far in my opinion.
wabi
diesel

Post by diesel »

Just like Wabi said. Get an Excalibur. As for long shots get a 30 06, 270, 7mm. Mag. But don't use a crossbow.
rmhaack

Post by rmhaack »

I was just wondering how much faster a crossbow such as the exocet or phoenix shoots then a regular compund bow. I am assuming this is part of the reason why they are illegal in some areas for bow hunting. They shoot faster and are easier to hunt with then a regular compound bow was my logic behind them being illegal in areas for archery season. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
rmhaack

Post by rmhaack »

Yah, I am not lousy at archery. I would consider myself to be a decent shot. I was just wondering the benefits/drawbacks to a crossbow compared to a compund bow.
rmhaack

Post by rmhaack »

Alright, I should have worded it differently. I am not claiming to know alot about archery hunting as I said I am new to it. I have hunted firearm for many years and am a decent hunter. Not the best, not the worst, not claiming to be anything. I would like to take up archery hunting however as a new challenge and am trying to decide between a cross bow and a compound bow. I have shot a compound bow a fair amount, not hunted with one, but shot archery with them. That is why I am trying to get the info people have to offer on cross bows. I dont mean to come across as snippy or a know it all so I'm sorry if you interpret it that way. Thanks.
Digger

Post by Digger »

rmhaack, a top line xbow , such as an Excalibur (any model) or Ten Point (any model) shoots at about 285 to 340 fps. A good compound shoots at 275 to 320 fps. Both are good to hunt out to 35 or 40 yards. The major difference is you dont have to draw back a xbow. You still need your hunting skills with both weapons to get the game close for your shot. Whats good for a compound is good for a xbow, its just another hunting tool.
Xbows do not shoot further than a compound nor are they more accurate than a compound, they are easier to learn how to shootthan a compound.

PS Welcome to the forum.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
rmhaack

Post by rmhaack »

Thanks for the info. And yes, cross bows are illegal to hunt white tail deer with during the archery season in michigan witout a special permit. You can however use them during firearm season. I know this might sound stupid to get a cross bow but hunting is not all about shooting stuff to me. Its about hunting. Shooting a deer is just a very large added bonus. Thanks also digger. Thats what I was wondering from someone who has had first hand experience such as yourself. I was just thinking to myself why cross bows would be illegal during archery season unless they were significantly easier or better then a standard compound bow. Thanks again and hopefully a few more people add their 2 cents as well.
A.W

Post by A.W »

With the Excal models there are no wheels. If you need to change your strings then you can, right in the field, and be ready to go in a few minutes. No bow press required.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.