Old Powermaster Xbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Biker

Old Powermaster Xbow

Post by Biker »

I was going through the attic when I ran across an old Powermaster crossbow I picked up way back when. It has a metal prod. It never had a string on it, and try as I might, I could never locate the proper string. I remember attempting to make a string for it, but not knowing what the proper length was suppose to be, I never felt comfortable with it. I would send a picture if I knew how. Needless to say, I never attempted to hunt with it, and put it in the attic when I got the Wildcat which by the way, got another deer near Chillicothe this year. Trouble with the Wildcat is my range is about 20 yards max. I have decided to try the Excalibur line and hope to improve in the near future. Anyone have a line on the old Powermaster Xbows???? [/img]
Digger

Post by Digger »

I had an old Whammo Powermaster. They were prone to metal fatigue. It will look great on your den wall, but thats all, you may get 3 more shots with it you may get a 1000. Just remember to get more life insurance if your going to use it. Your wife will thank you when it blows apart.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Biker

Internet search

Post by Biker »

Oh My!!!! You are correct. Those Whamo Powermasters suffered from broken prods (aluminum) and the trigger mechanism was prone to missfires. After running a modern search engine, I have discovered there were thousands of them re-called in 1967. The current suggestion is that they be destroyed. Its no wonder I could not find a string for the thing----they have not been making them since the mid 60's. Guess I got ripped on that deal. Well, I suppose it will make a good dust collector on the wall. Then again from what I just read, its not worth having around. It could really hurt someone. :oops:
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

The Powermaster was why the early NCHA (AKA NCHO) required that metal prods (even steel which didn't have this problem) be covered with stuff that prevented splinters if the prod blew (Horton used a knit plastic-looked liked hose while Hank ROberts used a rubberlike tube). There were several major lawsuits-I heard of a fatal or near fatal incident where the stirrup failed and the archer received a serious blow to the solar plexus. another person was injured or killed when the prod failed. absolute junk-hang it on the wall-DO NOT SHOOT IT
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach