Help - building a ladder stand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

WAB

Help - building a ladder stand

Post by WAB »

Well seeing I am not one for major hieghts (gravity and I respect one another to much) I am thinking of building a ladder treestand. Has anyone made or found good plans for building a lightweight one?? I have thought about buying a climbing treestand, but most of the trees where I hunt are very large dia.
Any help with this is very appreciated
Farmer

Ladder Stands

Post by Farmer »

The cost and time of building your own ladder stand is hard to justify. I purchased a ladder stand at Bass Pro in Vaughn for about $80 Can $. You would tie up $75 just in the 1X 1 square tube, no flat stock for supports or expanded metal for the floor. Next you would have to include your time to cut, fit , drill and weld the unit together.

The unit I puchased also included a full body harness. Hope this helps .
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

WAB : If your not crazy about heights , then you need a real comfortable / sturdy stand .

check out this old post from ComfyBear . He is the master of comfy stands ! :lol: :lol:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ght=ladder
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

YOU CAN BUY THESE METAL TREESTANDS SO CHEAP ANYMORE,MY SON & I HAVE 3 UP ABOUT $80.00 OR LESS,THEY COME IN 4-5 FT SECTIONS THEY GO UP ABOUT 15 FT. WE HAVE 2 AT 10 FT 1 AT 15 FT WIND BLOWS IN KANSAS SO BAD 15 FT MAKES YOU WANT TO BE ON THE GROUND.

HATCHET JACK
A.W

Post by A.W »

R.J. wrote:WAB :
check out this old post from ComfyBear . He is the master of comfy stands ! :lol: :lol: ]
R.J. You just had to bring up Comfy's Condo. :roll: :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

Yes indeed .

You can get a 12 foot double man ladder stand at walmart for under $100.

One would be hard pressed to find material for less.

We put up three this past season and it was a pure joy to have the extra room to be comfortable not- so - high in da sky !

Oneshot...
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
WAB

Post by WAB »

Thanks guys, I was just trying to be cheap :roll: guess maybe l will hit the local wallymart and just pick one up and next year build a condo.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

You can build them for no investment at all if, and thats a big if, you have access to the materials. They can be built out of 2 inch emt conduit but you have to have access to a bender to put your 80 or 85 degree bend at the top. You have to join 2 pieces in the leg area for enough height. For steps you just flatten the ends of your conduit to bolt to legs. Some wolmanized plywood on top and some paint and your good to go. I guess I am lucky cause I can get everything free as I do commercial construction and can get all this out of the dumpster free when the demo crew goes to work. They tear out whole 10 foot straight pieces and heave them. A friend from years ago worked at midas muffler shop and made them out of 2 inch piping for car xhaust. Same way and they lasted a long long time. Just had to replace the plywood once in awhile.
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Hey Bill,

Wallyworld had the Gorilla ladder stands for $129 last week & had about 6 in stock when I was there.

BP is still cheaper if you are going that way.

We should get to gether for coffee one day & talk about this years hunts.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work